AP Courses PLEASE ANSWER

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: AP Courses PLEASE ANSWER
By Bballplayer (Bballplayer) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

I'm a HS Sophomore. My school offers only 4 APs.
What should I do about that. I have plans to attend Yale Harvard G-Town & some other top schools.I know I'll probably take some local CC classes. I will take 2 of them before graduation but the other two i can't take them. Any ideas or suggestions. i know that top schools like to see APs. I want to major in poltical science. Do u know of any Summer programs

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

" AP can change your life. Through college-level AP courses, you enter a universe of knowledge that might otherwise remain unexplored in high school; through AP Exams, you have the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standing at most of the nation's colleges and universities." - CollegeBoard

I just thought that was very cute. Anyway...

First, schools won't hold it against you that your school offers few APs. As long as you take advantage of what's offered at your school, you should be fine.

You can take online APs. They're very pricey though... around $400 per semester PER CLASS, (atleast from what I've seen on sites like APEX and other things people have posted). If you're considering this anyway, you can just message search 'online APs'. There are many posts regarding this.

If you don't want to pay for online classes, you can still self-study a subject and take the AP exam at the end of the year. There are a number of kids on this board that are doing that; especially that Dentist boy. Message search 'self-study APs'. There's a lot of information regarding this also. Talk to your guidance counselor about self-studying for APs or one of the AP teachers. Go here also:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/reg.html

and here:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/prep.html

Boys State might be a good program for you next year. (You have to be a junior...) I don't know how competitive it is to get in. Google it: American Legion Boys State(and the name of your state) for more information.

My school offers 5 APs. I was in the same situation as you. :) I'm in a program for joint-enrollment at the local CC. Oh, and I'm a junior if that matters.

By Pkpat2000 (Pkpat2000) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Take all the AP's your school offers. Also, if you're ambitious, self study a few AP classes. The big advantage of AP is that it's cheap. Compared to a local CC or 4 year university, AP classes are the cheapest by far. My high school offered about 15 AP courses and I took about 10 in my high school career. The local CC is also a good option.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Boys State is a great program. I was at the California Boys State as the Judge of the Year.. and the saying goes.. Once a Boys State Citizen, Always a Boys State Citizen..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page