Kids on this thread are amazing (even republican kids)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Kids on this thread are amazing (even republican kids)
By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

The young people on this thread are pretty damn good. They know their stuff - or research them (before posting), they don't (for most part)sink low with each other. I am amazed at their skills and interest in politics at such an young age. My 17 year old is clueless compared to them.

While many parents (including me) often resort to nasty name calling and are just being stubborn. The democratic parents for most part offer a polished and reasoned view. The republican parents on the other hand seems to be the clones of Tom Delay, Dick Armey, Trent Lott or Ann Coulter. Perhaps they are the real Republican Wing of the Republican party. Their posts are full of hatred, bigotry and we can lie about anything we want.

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

I wish it would stop! But it's life, and its what gets thrown into our faces.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

Silence you economic girlieman.:)

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

"The republican parents on the other hand seems to be the clones of Tom Delay, Dick Armey, Trent Lott or Ann Coulter. Perhaps they are the real Republican Wing of the Republican party. Their posts are full of hatred, bigotry and we can lie about anything we want. "

::cough cough:: mom 101:: cough cough::

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

"The democratic parents for most part offer a polished and reasoned view"

Is that meant to be serious. I have seen your posts, and you are living in another world

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

"full of hatred, bigotry and we can lie about anything we want."

reminds me of Michele Moore

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

Michael Moore is a movie director. Do not forget that. No one in the democratic party has ever endorsed him or his film.

His number 1 objective is to sell tickets, follwed by making a political point. Unfortunately, the former sometimes misdriects the latter. (that is not to say some of the stuff he portray is not legitamate, because a lot of it is)

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

Michael Moore sat in President Carter's box at the dnc.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:39 am: Edit

hey i heard some of his comments and they seemd prety hate full to me

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

It doesn't matter where he sat. Not one figure of imporatance in the Democratic Part has ever endorsed his movie. Carter takes a liking to him so what? Pdiddy is friends with Bruce Willis. Does that mean Bruce Willis is endorsed by the whole hip hop community?

Michael Moore is not a politician. Get it through your heads people and stop using him as a representative of the Democratic Party.

Kerry has said publicly that he has never even watched Moore's movie.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

well mom101 isnt a represenitive of the republican party and she is not endorsed by any republicans, yet you do not hesitate to critize her.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

I do not care what she is representitive of. For starters she is clearly biased towards the Bush campaign. Secondly, it is disturbing to see an adult call Edwards a "snake" just because he was a personal injury lawyer.

...I can go on and on about the arrogance, ignorance, and foolishness displayed in some of her posts but I am going to bed now.

I will give her credit for at least having a solid grounding in economics.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:00 am: Edit

thank you for a positive comment

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

"For starters she is clearly biased towards the Bush campaign."
So, what is your point. You are biased against him.

"Secondly, it is disturbing to see an adult call Edwards a "snake" just because he was a personal injury lawyer."
No, it was because of the cases he took and becaue of his opposition to tort reform.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:24 am: Edit

she has never quoted a case that makes him a "snake". You attempted once, but all you produced was a very grey area. I can name 10 compelling cases for everyone you can even consider grey.

At least you read the briefs of his cases. I am convinced she has never done so once.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

does any one else beleive we should set some debateing standards for cc

By Bakk (Bakk) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:30 am: Edit

Simba and Scuba, we can always count on you for good laughs. You ought to ask Michael Moore to film another version of Dumb and Dumber. It could be the first real documentary he would produce!

By Welshie (Welshie) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit

I say we ban all of you... all of you.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 08:42 am: Edit

I couldn't diaagree more Simba. It scares me how dug in kids like Jauq and Scubasteve are for teenagers, spouting misperceptions as though they were fact. Dedefending anything that will support their positions (polls are not accurate...Jaqu). They need a good debate coach before doing college apps.

And Simba, I was shocked to learn you are a man. I had such a clear picture of a bored, angry house frau.

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

Are you always so sweet? . Thanks for validating my post.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

Here is Simba's post revised to tell the truth:

The REPUBLICAN parents for most part offer a polished and reasoned view. The DEMOCTATIC parents on the other hand seems to be the clones of MICHAEL MOORE, HOWRAD DEAN, AL GORE, NY TIMES, LATIMES, OR NPR. Perhaps they are the real DEMOCRATIC Wing of the DEMOCRATIC party. Their posts are full of hatred, bigotry and DEMOCRATS can lie about anything we want.

I must admit I love your posts Simba - they are always designed to provoke.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

I like how this thread at least started to be positive as opposed to some of the other threads on other boards which are more negative starting from the heading.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

You've got to be kidding about the "positive" part. It didnt last two paragraphs.

It would almost be worth Kerry winning to avoid four more years of whining. (Almost, but not quite.)

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

"Kids on this thread are amazing (even republican kids)"

Woohoo! Praise from Simba!

Well, I'm not a parent....but I am the Real Ballers Republican. Actually, I'm moderate-conservative who votes (or would vote, I miss the election by only a few months, dammit!) based on the candidate, not the party- although I would mainly vote for Republicans. I see flaws in both parties, but I don't totally disregard a point of view opposite mine- I may think it's a totally ridiculous and ignorant point of view...but I don't cover my ears and ignore it.

Am I missing something? Many people here seem to be up in arms over Mom101's posts...yet she seems to be the most moderate voice here...all she seems to be saying is that people seem to be so committed to one point of view that it's not good. What's all the fuss about?

Dadx,

One (of many) reasons I want Bush to win is because I want to see the massive flame wars errupt on message boards accross the Internet. Think about it, this place will be anarchy come post-Election day, political message boards will overload by the hundreds, Michael Moore will have an anyuresm and post an angry open letter on his web site, Al Franken will explode! It would be great!

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Same thing will happen if Kerry wins. Plus the added bonus at FOX and Talk Radio. I have never heard Limbaugh and others - but am dying to hear them.

I had you and JLQ and Xiggi + some others in mind when I wrote that.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Hunter1985, Al hasn't exploded yet! Doubt he will.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Don't worry Simba, if Kerry wins, I won't let you down...there will be several "less than appropriate" words used in my first CC post after the election if Kerry wins.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Is it safe to say that both the liberal and conservative kids on this board are so opinionated that they resort to namecalling and refuse to truly listen to other points of view? I think so. Heck, that's how it is in real life. You'll run into the ultra-conservative kid that holds any sort of idea that has a semblance of liberalism in it as "stupid" or "illogical" while on the other hand, you've got the ultra-liberal types that contend that the said ultra-conservative is nothing but a "heartless" individual, free of compassion. Is it nice that the kids on this board seem to be at least interested (lord knows they aren't learned or wise) in the political world? You bet. But for me, the day people on here truly take to a heated, respectful, debate is the day that I call them "amazing." Until then, they are just like the rest of the world.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Thanks Hunter, you really do start to wonder if you're the only one in the country who does not think Republicans sell drugs to small kids when you spend as much time as I do in the uber liberal education community. Everywhere els I'm considered a moderate.

But think about it, I honestly believe Simba believes what he wrote. He actually believes the Dem views on this board are all polished and reasonable. This I find beyond frightening. There is such anger in the country, and it's not just about the war. This was the topic of conversation everywhere I've been on the E Coast this weekend. It's interesting to be here because in California the vast majority sound like Simba.

A lot of people believe the rapid advance of the global economy and our lack of praparedness is causing the great divide. The poor and middle class are feeling a tremendous squeeze and they blame republicans. This is scary because it's not about to change anytime soon. What happens if Kerry wins and the anger gets worse because he can't possibly deliver what he's promised? Will Simbas erupt?

By Fundingfather (Fundingfather) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

The democratic parents for most part offer a polished and reasoned view.

Simba, thanks for the laugh of the day. With such "objective" scoring, I'm sure the East German gymnastic team of old would love to have had you as their representative judge.

I'm waiting for you to submit fact one on any of your posts.

By Annakat (Annakat) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

do the tax cuts passed by the bush administration and the republican controlled congress provide the biggest break, by far, to those making over $200,000 or not?

mom101, how is this helping the "tremendous squeeze" on the poor and middle class?

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Those earning over $200K, by far, pay the most tax dollars. The top 5% of tax payers pay over 35% of income taxes. I first learned that figure during an interview with Scubasteves buddy, Al Sharpton. He told the interviewer, who then offered the facts, that he believed the top 5% should be paying at least 20% of income taxes! They should have gotten the biggest break. You seem intelligent(though politically young) Annakat and based on your offer to do research on another thread I presume you're hard working. When you grow up do you want to subsidize the slackers in your high school class?

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Trollfather: I will humor you. I will offer you one of the example that will justify my comment that Bush is stupid.

Go read Applied math's post after 1:59 p.m. In another thread. He is a Bush supporter.

By Fundingfather (Fundingfather) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Simba, Simba, in the words of a great American, "there you go again" ... resorting to juvenile put downs.

Your reference to the opinion of a high school kid as the ultimate "source" of information and support for your views just shows how little you are able to support any of your views. You should go back and read your own posts. Point out three where you have actually supported your argument with any valid information.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

"When you grow up do you want to subsidize the slackers in your high school class? "

Is that a contention that those of us who are not over the 200k salary mark are slackers? What a stuck up, elitist comment.

Newsflash mom101, most of us under the 200k mark work harder than those above it. Being a hardworker does not guarentee you to be wealthy. Go read nickel and dimed. Believe it or not even the lower class consists of hard workers, many of whom work more hours per week than most in the upper class.

It is almost idiotic for you to defend tax cuts for the rich with that statement...

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Simba, I AM MUFASSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, your 40 years old. Why are you attacking me? I'm too young to be harassed by you, but I'll take you on any day.

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

And if you're 40 years old, do you have anything better to do than to stalk me and read every single one of my posts to determine my political standing? Are you mad because you don't own a company? Are you mad because I am Mufassa?

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

I didn't attack you. I referenced your posts.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

He didn't really attack you.. he just used something you said as a pawn to make his claim that Bush is stupid.

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Simba, I didn't make a single opinion on that post. Everything was factual, I just stated what the old man said out of his mouth. I was THERE IN PERSON. You have no reason to challenge me. If you want proof, go to intel.com and search my name Ning Zhou and you'll see me standing next to George Bush. You think I don't know how the executive branch is run? If that's what YOU are claiming old man, I suggest you get some sleep because you're getting real old sitting in that chair picking on kids superior to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page