Does cheerleading look to DINGY on a resume??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Does cheerleading look to DINGY on a resume??
By Yalegrl (Yalegrl) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Does Cheerleading look to "air-headish" on a college resume??

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

not if you have the grades to show you are not an air head.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Since it seems you want to go to Yale... it could work to your advantage! I remember reading on CC about this girl that was "ok" and into cheering and (I think) planned on doing it at Yale too. If there aren't a buncha airies at Yale, all the players will be sad.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

My daughter, a straight A, high scoring dancer, talked about cheerleading in HS. I told her it was OK as long as she didn't tell anyone or put it on her college application. Just kidding--kind of.

By Koopatroopa (Koopatroopa) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

No, but improper use of the word 'too' just might.

Food for thought.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Well, if I'm correct, cheerleading does take a lot time and effort, as cheerleaders have to attend both the games and go to practices. Most of the cheerleaders I know have taken dance/ballet classes before becomming a cheerleader. So I'd say it would be a boost. I don't think any college would look down at someone for doing cheerleading. Doing so would really just be similar to looking down at someone for playing football. So once more, I'd say that cheerleading would be a boost to your resume. Afterall, colleges do like well-rounded students, and the fact that you are a cheerleader adds to your extra-curriculars. DEFINATELY PUT it on a resume.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Very well done, Thermodude. However, I'm quite sure cheerleaders have bought that before . They won't fall for it twice.

If you truly want to do cheering at Yale, that will definitely work for you. Stereotypically-speaking, most people don't go to Yale for its cheerleading program.

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I agree, cheerleeding is a good EC.

Blond cheerleaders...I don't know about them going to Yale.

By Yalegrl (Yalegrl) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

Ha! I'm not blond lol!! I'm as far from blond as you can get, my hair is practicaly black. But, no, I wasn't looking at Cheering at Yale. I just didn't want it to seem "dingy" on my EC's, but yes, a lot of practice and games are in my schedule... it may even take more than football....lol!
Thanks everyone!!!

By Idiias (Idiias) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Yeah I think it'll work to your advantage. I mean do you think Yale is going to accept a freshman class full of debaters with glasses? Of course not. They need variety.

By Spunknic347 (Spunknic347) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I agree that cheerleading can be viewed positivly. Plus, it would make a good essay topic about how you aren't the stereotypical cheerleader or how cheerleading really does require a lot more work than people think. If your sqaud does more than football games and pep assemblies, like going to state and national competitions, it's even more of a plus. The cheerleaders at our school are pretty athletic. They have the longest season out of any sport because they start in the early summer, go to all the football games and basketball games from fall to winter, compete in the regional, state and national tournaments up till early spring, Furthermore, they go to team camp in the middle of summer for a week, so they are quite a dedicated group of girls. Plus our football and basketball teams suck so they really have to like cheering in order to stick with it.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

It's good, and it indicates that you have a personality (or others think you do).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page