Hemingway

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Hemingway
By Limon (Limon) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Why do certain people absolutely hate Hemingway?
Do you hate him because of his reputation as a man's man (or macho chauvinist pig), or do you honestly dislike his writing?

I ask this b/c my summer reading was For Whom The Bell Tolls, and there's at least one girl in my class who's refusing to read it. I'm imagining sparks will fly our first day, and it would be good to know her reasoning.

I've heard a lot of •••• about Hemingway, some true, some outrageous, but it's never really mattered to me when reading his stories. As far as his writing goes, I'm hooked. Some people in my class last year (when we read Farewell to Arms), hated him until my teacher realized they were all tone deaf and never read into things - we read bits outloud until we picked up the tone and then he challenged anyone to say that Henry was unfeeling.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I don't like his writing style. I read A Farewell To Arms and it wasn't a very enjoyable experience. The short, choppiness can be very effective (the ending most notably) but I personally am not a fam of that stuff. I'm appreciate the stream of conscience that authors like Kerouac use.

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I'm a huge fan of Hemingway. He's one of my favorite authors, right next to Kafka.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I love Hemingway. His style of writing is very familiar. You can feel what each character is feeling.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page