Mom101: Gene Pool???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Mom101: Gene Pool???
By Simba (Simba) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

the children of alum, in general, are a highly qualified pool. Consider gene pool, their parent's appreciation of education, relative affluence,

Mom101: On other thread you made the comment above. Kindly explain what you meant by gene pool. I don't want to accuse you of something without understanding the context.

(actually that would be the republican way of doing things )

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I was saying that the children of people who went to ivy league schools are likely to have IQs close to those of their parents.

By Simba (Simba) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

In this narrow context, I tend to agree with you.

what a bummer

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

This is kind of obvious...

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Duhhhhhh..............

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Simba, you are lucky Mom101 did not send you to your room without supper.

By Simba (Simba) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Mufasa won't let her

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

^ LOL!

By Simba (Simba) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Mom101: what is your research topic?

By Caseyatthebat (Caseyatthebat) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

(actually that would be the republican way of doing things )

What a gratuitously insipid and ignorant comment, from a liberal no doubt.

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Caseyatthebat: You must be new around here. Welcome to Simba's neighborhood. Rod Serling frequently wrote about it. Good luck.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

For the new kid. Let me introduce Simba. Simba is actually a man of "advanced age." Note the PCness. Arguing with him is completely pointless, as you may discover from an old thread buried down in the list. Beating him and almost getting him banned is my claim to faim.

By Caseyatthebat (Caseyatthebat) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Browninfall: Actually, not new. I just haven't gone slumming before on this site. I stick to the Parent's Forum, where Simba posts from time to time, more than me, of course. We are dartmouthinthefall, in just about 2 days from now.

By Phlogistonfreak (Phlogistonfreak) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Vancat, what thread was that on? I've got to see that.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Is Phlogiston the material the Byzantines used in Greek Fire?

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Phlogistonfreak, that thread is called "Man Fired for heckling Bush"

The immature arguments start towards the end and it's pretty clear that by then, Simba either was crying or was unable to spew out anything more.

By Phlogistonfreak (Phlogistonfreak) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

I don't think people are quite sure what was in Greek Fire, some people think it was saltpeter, which wasn't supposed to be in Europe until the 13th century, and other people think it may have been quicklime (calcium oxide) which gets very hot when it reacts with water.

Throughout most of the 18th century phlogiston was thought to be released when a substance combusted, leaving the pure substance - the calx. to explain a candle going out in a closed space, they hypothesized that the air could only hold so much phlogiston do it got phlogisticated, and the material could no longer combust. Coal was thought to be almost pure phlogiston, because it left so little ash.

When Joseph Priestly discovered oxygen in 1774, he called it dephlogisticated air, assuming that if it had no phlogiston in it, it could sustain combustion for longer before saturating with Phlogiston.

Antoine Lavoisier suggested in 1775 that oxygen combined with materials in combustion, but Priestly believed in phlogistion until he died in 1804.

By Calston (Calston) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

The gene pool needs a little Cl. Sorry, couldn't resist.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Mom101, I am not sure that I completely agree with your statement. It seems to be a general statement that is rich with exceptions.

For example, one of my friend's dad is Rhodes Scholar but this guy is dumb as a door knob. And I have met kids with parents who did not attend ivy league schools, who are very intelligent. In fact, my dad did not attend an ivy league school, and I can say that he is very intelligent. My grandfather in fact did not even finish secondary school.

Secondly, you are associating attending an ivy league school with a high IQ. It is by now common knowledge that intelligence is just one part of the qualifications required for admission into an ivy league school. Valedictorians with amazing board scores are often rejected because they lack leadership and character.

Your statement, I hope has been taken out of context.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Davidrune, I agree with most of what you say. My parents didn't attend ivys, I did, and my IQ was close to theirs. The statement should have been that most often, children's IQs are close to those of their parents.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page