Poll: Best Coverage

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Poll: Best Coverage
By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

What channel did you guys all watch to get your convention coverage

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
Fox News Channel
MSNBC

and out of all those, where do you normally watch to get good news (even NWI or BBC maybe?)

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

I dont go by channel. I switch around depending on who they have on. I do not like CNN for the live convention just because their titles and framing takes up a lot of the screen.
For analysis and review of speeches, nothing beats the Fox panel. It is very balenced and gives many different perspectives from very shrewd people.
msnbc panel is ok. I do not like Chris Mathews, but Joe Scarbourough is ok and Trippi (dean campaign manager) gives interesting opinions.

You forgot CSPAN. Unlike CNN, their screen is not cluttered, and they replay the speeches so that you can see it if you missed it.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

"For analysis and review of speeches, nothing beats the Fox panel. It is very balenced and gives many different perspectives from very shrewd people. "

Lol say that three times over and keep a straight face. Please.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

"I do not like CNN for the live convention just because their titles and framing takes up a lot of the screen."

MSNBC and Fox are actually both worse for that. CNN recently changed their format and now they have the best framing of the three cable channels. Out of the networks, though, NBC is the best. ABC's picture is always funny, and CBS just stinks.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

On Tuesday night the ratings were:

FOX News: 5.2 million viewers
NBC: 5.1
CBS: 4.4
ABC: 4.3
MSNBC: 1.6
CNN: 1.5

I don't have the ratings for the other nights (maybe someone else can find them), but I think it was Fox News first each night, followed by the major networks, and then with the two boring news channels at the bottom.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

ugh. I hate CBS. Even CNN is better.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

scuba steve, do you thing mara liason is not liberal?

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I like abc and nbs, but i also like cnn, i hate msnbc so much, and i avoid it whenever possible

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

and what about susan estrich, she's a major fox news contributor and very liberal.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

nah...ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN, MSNBC....they all have their biases and slants.

That's why I say:

GO PBS!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

oh yea, i forgot about her. Fox has Susan Estrich who is very liberal and worked on campaigns, and Gretta van sustren, who doesnt give opinion, but is also liberal and from cnn.

I think cnn is slightly towrds the right, but it is not too bad. Judy Woodruff is sort of obvious sometimes with her view.

My favorite part of fox isnt how they have all views represented, but how they are not just journalists but editors of journals and politcal advisors. Cnn tries to pass off larry kind and woodruff as experts. I like Blitzer though.

By Annakat (Annakat) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

sean hannity, bill o'reilly, monica crowley, ann coulter journalists?

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

Shows how misinformed you are.

Ann Coulter/bill oreilly/hannity do not give post convention coverage and rate the speeches.

That job is left up to Fred Barnes (editor of weekly std, conservative), Mort Condracke (editor or Roll Call, neutral), Bill Crystal (editor of weekly std, conservative), Mara Liason (liberal commentator for npr, and writer), Susan Estrich (very liberal, Ducacaus campaign manager and democratic insider). Then Greta van sustren, a liberal who tries to stay neutral, does interviews. So 2 conservative, 1 neutral, 2 liberal, 1 liberal interviewer. All are very shrewd and knowledgable compared to larry kind and judy woodruff

By Zero (Zero) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

Comedy Central.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

Jlq3d3, don't forget about the Brit-master! Awesome panel leader and news anchor. I saw him speak in person once, and he's a very smart guy, but very laid back. He has one of those great speaking voice- great to listen to. I almost sure he's conservative, but like Greta, normally tries to stay neutral and just runs the panel. So that would make Fox balanced even moreso in terms of their convention panel.

However, they're screen borders/crawls can be a bit frustrating and sometimes obscures stuff on screen. I changed the channel once during the Reagan video, but is was fine after that.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

On Wednesday afternoon, Fox News employees were overheard chanting "Four more years! Four more years!" from their Convention workspace. Later a Fox News spokesman tried to pretend that the chanting was merely "a humorous toast to a retiring techie" - although while the toast allegedly happened on Tuesday night, the spokesman was "not aware" of the Wednesday chanting. Heck, why pretend? The Fox News anchors were practically chanting "four more years" all damn week.

By Driver (Driver) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I have been a cable person for years...I really can't remember the last time I watched a network news broadcast. For many years I was a CNN addict, because, for a while, they did news like no one else. However, I did get tired of their political bias in the Clinton era, and switched to FOX as soon as it became availabe here about 3 years ago. Haven't seen CNN since.

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Fox News Channel got 7.3 Million viewers during the President's speech on thursday night

For the first time ever in media history, a cable news network beat out broadcast news (ABC, NBC, CBS) during a convention.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Simple. CSPAN.

By Northwestlover (Northwestlover) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

Simple. Comedy Central.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

I'd have to go with Jay Leno.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page