Arguing politics with friends

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Arguing politics with friends
By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

Now we are all (for the most part) educated about politics, the economy, and the other major issues. Considering that most American teenagers do not give a rats ass about politics and the whatnot, do you guys actually try to hold political conversations with friends? Does anybody discuss these things like we do at CC? or is that a complete waste of time?

By Yugekorb (Yugekorb) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 06:58 am: Edit

I live in NC and many of the people are pretty ignorant about politics/the world, so I don't even try. There is one though that I wouldn't mind, just no time. They are pretty far and few between here.

By Megofou (Megofou) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit

Ohhh yeah. I think I was friends with the only group of politically aware people in my entire high school. We formed L.O.F.T (Leauge of Free Thinkers) and argued politics constantly.

Of course...most of us were democrats...so it was just heated agreeeing. But our area is majorly republican, so when we got a discussion going with others (happened a lot), it was interesting.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

Most of my friends have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to politics. One is convinced that she knows absolutely everything, and loudly proclaims that the electoral college votes for whomever they want, regardless of the popular vote, and therefore, refuses to vote herself. No amount of reasoning will change her mind, so we've given up.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

People look at me weird when I do.

The last time I talked about politics was about "what's democrat/republican" cuz a girl I knew asked me what they were.

OH MY....

By Bobmarley (Bobmarley) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

My friends occasionally argue politics, although not well.

I have friends who are commies, the great majority are fairly liberal democrats and one friend who's a moderate republican.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

This is sad but true. Maybe we should convince America's youth (not you exceptions) NOT to vote!

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

its very sad, but, no, i dont often get the chance to participate in intellegent discussion at school or with my friends. my friends all say they are democrats, but they dont know a thing about where the party stands or where the republican party stands either. its so great to be able to have somewhere to talk to people. yay CC

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

I'm at Yale right now, and last night at 12:30 a.m. I was discussing political philosophy with four guys my age in our dorm. Yep, it's very cool here.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Yeah, I think going to an intellectual college with active people kind of exempts you from this thread. It's just not fair!

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Kudos to you who are informed and willing to debate politics. It boggles my mind how many young people in this country are at risk if a new draft is passed, and they don't even know it. What's worse, would they even know how their elected officials stood on the subject and vote to change those officials if they didn't like their stance? Or their stance on anything else for that matter of a fact?

Obviously you would, and therein lies our hope.

By Jaug1 (Jaug1) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

A group of friends at my school started OSPR (Oakwood Students for Progressive Reform). Every Monday we take a different current issue, whether it be the war in Iraq, the economy, health care, education and discuss it openly. My school is very liberal so there is not much disagreement, but dissention does arise in the ideas of what we should do to help alleviate these problems.

The group is going to begin to publish a monthy newspaper with articles pertaining to all aspects of American life.

I find at my school the ones who debate politics know what they are talking about but there are not as many as I would like (around 20-30 out of 450). I think its sad when the youth of this country cares more about the latest fashion trends and fads than the real decisions that directly effect our lives.

By Bobmarley (Bobmarley) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, and you do know that that draft bill was introduced simply to scare people, not to be passed, right?

If we go into Iran, we would have to have a draft, but no draft is in the imminent future.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I love to argue.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

No you don't!

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

yea you're right.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

"Considering that most American teenagers do not give a rats ass about politics and the whatnot, do you guys actually try to hold political conversations with friends? Does anybody discuss these things like we do at CC? or is that a complete waste of time?"

actually most of the people at my school think that politics is boring...i could think of only a few students (almost all of them seniors) who are even keeping track of the upcoming election.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page