Would your workplace get mad at you..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Would your workplace get mad at you..
By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

if you keep changing your time and days to work??

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

probably

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

It would depend. There are some jobs where your employer would keep changing your time and days to work without your input. There are also some jobs that are set up for students and they expect a little change in time and days.

For the most part, yes your boss probably would "get mad at you if you keep changing your time and days to work."

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

by asking this question, I'm assuming you are trying to change your time and days to work and you're nervous about what the boss is going to say. RIght?

By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

well.. im not saying, im changing it constantly.. like all the time. but this is my situation. im free for a couple of weeks, weekdays and weekends, so i can work 7 days a week for a couple of weeks, then photography class is here for like a month, so i can only work on the weekends because of that, and then, when photography ends, i can work on fridays, saturdays and sundays. .. .. that isn't too bad is it?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

As a person who has had to figure out schedules for a staff, I can tell you it is a hellaciously difficult job. One really appreciates people who are consistent.

I am guessing that you are a teen. More than likely,at your age, your skills are not so exceptional that you can not be easily replaced. Many employers would prefer to simply hire someone else than to deal with the hassle of having a young worker who needs the kind of change that you're thinking about.

I am not saying that you should give up the photography class. Unless you desperately need money, the photography class, not work, is probably a better use of your time. If you choose the class, though, realize that it may cost you your job. If you really want to work, there probably will be other jobs available afterward, including perhaps even in the photography field. :)

By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Yeah, .. I actually don't even want to work. I'd like to spend my teen years still relaxed and being able to explore new opportunities and possiblities.. but I kind of do desperately need the money... or would you think it'd be better to just work till the photography class, then just get another job somewhere else?

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I have worked - many years ago - in a job where teens were scheduled to work on weekends. I can't tell you how miserable it is to give up what would have been a day off to work for a teen that called in because they wanted to go water skiing or otherwise hang out with friends because it's just too pretty to work. (Although in your case it would be a photography class.) Doesn't fly at home with an upset spouse or significant other and probably won't fly once they start giving up the one or two days that they have to cover for you.

My suggestion is to decide how important work is. A commitment is a commitment, and sometime, you will need a reference from one of the people you have worked for. Maybe you should consider baby-sitting or something you can do when you want to. It just sounds to me like you're not ready to make work a priority.

By Megofou (Megofou) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

It depends what sort of job it is. Where I worked, I had to change all the time. The bosses were fine with it. Not only that...any change that was made for school was automatically accepted and unpunishable. It was nice.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit

Where did you work?

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

I tried to help a friend's son get a job at an ice cream store recently. The manager told me he would never again hire a high school student. He explained that they insisted on taking Father's day off, felt free to call in sick any time, and couldn't understand why they couldn't take off a week to go to Disney Land. He concluded by saying "they just don't seem to need the job badly enough." What you need to inderstand is that the type of small businesses that tend to hire teens do not have the resources to keep spare employees on the payroll. This is someones livlihood and your class can not be their concern. I agree with the poster who suggested babysitting or something you can control. In many areas babysitters earn more than most teenage jobs anyway.

By Megofou (Megofou) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 07:23 am: Edit

I worked at Bob Evans.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page