Governator's Speech at GOP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Governator's Speech at GOP
By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

"Girlie Men" use. "A scrawny little boy in Austria to speaking her in front of you" (paraphrased). "terminate terorrism"

I think Arnold was awesome. But of course, as Stein (acclaimed speech writer for Nixon and others which Chris Matthews interviewed) said (paraphrased) "Arnold is already a huge star. It doesn't really matter what he says. He can say cliche's and things of the obvious and everyone will still really like him and we'll excited the crowd." He was right. But I did think Arnold's speech was pretty good. He really riled the crowd up. His "American Dream" story from that boy in Austria, his fear of his dad and uncle being taken by the Soviets as slaves, his speaking English at over 20 years old. Everyone was standing up. From the look of it, an unknowing bystander would think Arnold WAS RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION AS PRESIDENT. hahaha

Keep in mind I don't really like Bush (I'm liberal teenager from Cali.. haha) but I think Arnold is damn cool. His stardom and presentation really helps the Republicans.

What did you all think?

(P.S. I feel slightly dumb. I kept wondering for the past couple days why they kept calling the Repub Convention "GOP"... I just googled it and found out it meant "Grand Old Party." Wow, I never knew that...well you learn something new every day!)

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I like Arnold too. He gets the job done, and he's made some awesome movies (which I care about more, unfortunately). Maybe a little close-minded, though, but still smart.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

I thought he was excellent. I was a bit disappointed in the Bush daughters' speach though, it was quite bad and I was cringing through all the lame jokes. Thank god Laura Bush canceled them out. She was fabulous, as usual.

By Zero (Zero) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

The Bush daughters have George's genes...you can't expect them to be able to speak well.

ah, but the Governator was awesome.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

Arnold Schwarzeneggar... future president of the United States?
Hey, I would vote for him.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

Zero, it wasn't about what you are talking about. If you had seen the RNC, you would have known I was saying that Bushs daughters were acting reeally ditzy and like 12-year olds up there. Mainly due to the obligatory lame-ass family jokes . Compared to mcCain, Giuliani, Ahnold, or Laura, they were terrible.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

His speech did exactly what was needed. Although it did not have nitty gritty substance, that is not what the first 2 nights are for. The first 2 nights are for motivation and inspiration mostly, while the vp and prez top it off with plans for a second term (an example I hear they will talk about: tax simplification). i really like what arnold has done in CA. If he could, he would for sure win the presidency in 08 (assuming and hoping Bush wins).

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

I like Arnold...(he leans heavily democratic on certain issues :) )

but yeah he isnt allowed to run for President (not natural citizen)

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

Ahnold =)!

He was AwEsOmE

*fingers crossed* for Bush!

I cringed too when the Bush twins spoke---but the more I thought about it, I really admired them for being themselves and for admitting that they are *REAL LIVE AMERICAN TEENAGERS* who just don't care about politics. Minus the caring about politics, I can totally relate to them.

PLus, they are really really modest, I read a recent VOGUE article about them, and Jenna and Barbara are really sincere peopel and have great goals. One of them wants to be an inner city school teacher, and the other one is going to Africa soon to volunteer at pediatric AIDS clinics or something. BOth of them are fluent in Spanish and did well in school. They don't even talk about themselves liek that, but just act like normal, funny, somewhat mischevious teens!

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

I would hardley call the Bush girls "real live american teenagers"

They represent a .00001 faction of "real live american teenagers"...

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

same with the kerry daughters.

Anyways, did anybody notice that the Bush twins reminded you alot of Beavis and Butthead? I couldn't help notice that whenever one of them said a lame joke, the other one was quick to respond with a "Uhuhu-huhuhu-huhuhuhuh."

That was the only lame part of the RNC so far. Every else has been aweseom. IMO.

By Songman (Songman) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

Actually the Bush Daughters not teenagers they must be 21 or so if they graduated from Yale recently no? Didn't they graduate this past June as they said they were looking for jobs?

The last time I listened to a poltician as closely as I listened to Arnold last night was when Bill Clinton ran and also Ronald Reagan when he gave a speech. Either you have it or you don't when it comes to public speaking. Arnold has it, Clinton has it and so did Reagan.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

Vancat for once I agree with you... yes same with the Kerry daughters lol.

Songman--

I would sure hope Arnold "has it" he is a multimillion dollar successful actor lol.

But yes I agree, Arnold, Clinton, Obama, even Edwards are all of a same breed

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

If the Bush daughters have so much time on their hands, perhaps they'd like to volunteer to fight in Iraq?

Just a thought.

By Shortcakefairy (Shortcakefairy) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

oh yeah oops the twins aren't teens.

yes, agreed on all the comments about Arnold's magnetism and charisma--i think he should have been the last speaker instead of the first. too tough an act to follow

LoL even for Bush on Thursday. I patiently await his speech though.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Hmmm. No takers?

Thought so.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

I don't even want to hear Bush speak. You know damn well he didn't write a single word of what he will say. He is like a puppet while some greater puppeteer pulls the strings from behind the scene.

All speakers should write their own speeches, or at least have as little outside editing as possible.

Arnold made a very good speech and you know it was genuine (he probably wrote most of it without outside interference).... because I don't think any speech writer would include the Nixon praise and "girlie men"....that is what made it great

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Noodleman, that was possibaly the most retarded post we have seen in a long time.

The kerry daughters seem to have a lot of time as well, and their dad also supported toppling saddam. So...maybe they should fight to.

Hell, maybe we should drop both the Kerry and Bush daughters off in Najaf. Nobody votes on the basis of first daughters anyways...

By Fundingfather (Fundingfather) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Scuba: Nope, Arnold had an old Reagan speechwriter write his speech. Just like Kerry has writers write his speeches. Remember how he blamed his speech writers for the line about Benedict Arnold CEOs? The man can't even take responsibility for what comes out of his own mouth.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Scubasteve just proves the point that most Americans buy good acting which is all this election seems to be about.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Edwards is not of the ilk of Reagan, Clinton, or even Arnold. Edwards makes me want to vomit when he speeks. As much as I dont like Kerry's dragging style, Kerry's speeches are much more tolerable than that smooth snake edwards.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Wasn't Edwards a very successful personal injury lawyer aka ambulance chaser?

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

"Scuba: Nope, Arnold had an old Reagan speechwriter write his speech. "

That's interesting because fox news (ugh) was reporting that Arnold wrote most of it himself.

I'm not sure whether or not Kerry wrote his speech at the DNC... but at least he can think on his own (actually answer non scripted questions)

I know for a fact Edwards wrote his own speech at the DNC... he went throught 20something rough drafts of it

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Mom,

If you took the time to research Edward's court cases you would realize his is not an "ambulance chaser".... and that is total ignorance on your behalf to deem all personal injury lawyers "ambulance chasers"

Nearly all of Edwards's cases have been very legit and compelling cases.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

"Noodleman, that was possib(a)ly the most retarded post we have seen in a long time."

You don't get out enough.

"The (K)erry daughters seem to have a lot of time as well, and their dad also supported toppling (S)addam. So...maybe they should fight to(o).

Maybe they should. In fact, anyone who wholeheartedly supports the war should probably put their money where their mouth is and sign up. Unless, of course, they have "other priorities" like Cheney and Clinton.

My point--which you seem to have missed rather cleanly--is, that if one's father is Civilian Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, it shows supreme disrespect to families of soldiers who are serving their country at this moment, to off-handedly remark, at a political event that is trumpeting the sacrifice that those people are making, that you "can't think of anything to do for the next couple of years." People in my family are over there right now, may never return, and I am appalled.

Talk about politically tone-deaf.

And, please learn how to spell before you call someone retarded, o' prince of irony.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

yawwnnnnn noodleman, you seem to take great pleasure in your ability to correct someone's spelling mistakes. Even when it's on an online message board where people don't give a rats ass about the text-book cases of proper grammar. Maybe you should be College Confidential's official grammar/spelling nazi.

And I think you need to be the first to learn how to make your points more clearly by actually trying to explain what you are trying to say before responding to other people's posts with ridiculue.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

\/4nc4t pwn'd n00b13/\/\4/\/ wit teh 1337 sP1z0rz!

Ah-Nold was fantastic, I'm glad he went Un-PC and used the term "girlie men." He is also quite good at poking fun at himself. He also addressed the new liberal talking point that "the RNC speakers are phony and don't represent the party" better than I could in another thread. THere is more than one kind of Republican- you don't have to be pro-life, etc.

The First Lady was good, but I agree the governator should have gone last. Mrs. Bush's speech was a great character affirmation speech, but not a "fire 'em up" policy speech, so it's a bit different to judge. But I thought her delivery was great, and she projected confidence, honesty, and clarity.

I did not see the Bush twins, so I will not comment on them specifically.

Noodleman, while I understand your hostility towards their remarks, I must disagree with you on the "putting your money where your mouth is" remark. Personally, I supported going to Iraq, but I would not consider military service, because I feel there are better ways that I can serve the country. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, yes it's a bit of fear, but that is why we respect soliders so much, because it is a voluntary decision to serve their country in the most dangerous, yet noble way possible.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

The Governor was going to have a great speech no matter what. He's a movie star. He's supposed to be popular.

The only major mistake he made was referencing Nixon.

You became a Republican because Nixon was a Republican? WTF?

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

"THere is more than one kind of Republican- you don't have to be pro-life, etc. "

That is understood. The problem is that the "kind" of Republicans speaking during the prime time spots do not represent the "kind" of Republican George Bush is.

We are not voting for all different degrees of Republican for President. We are voting for one kind. The George Bush kind. At least make the keynote speakers ones who reprsent what that kind is. It is very misleading otherwise.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Edwards in manyu cases was an snake/ambulance chaser. He made a lot of money suing docotrs on some crack science that delivering a baby in a certain way gives them cerebral paulsy, something which almost all experts now say is untrue. Now c-section are so common because of the fear of greedy trial lawyers like Edwards, who drove up health care costs in nc by 23%. Tort reform is one of the most overlooked problems today, and I am very glad Bush is going to address it on thursday.

Edward's campaign was funded by trial lawyers, the democrats are funded the most by trial lawyers, Edwards voted every single time (the most of any senator) against tort reform, and this kind of pandering to trial lawyers would increace the costs of health care and other things even more. No to Edwards, no to frivolous law suits.

This article sums up the sneaky damage edwards does.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/GiveMeABreak/GMAB_edwards_040723-1.html

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Hunter, i need refreshment
" \/4nc4t pwn'd n00b13/\/\4/\/ wit teh 1337 sP1z0rz! "

Vancat owned noodleman with the leet ___________

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

spelling

if you can't think of a good way to translate something into 1337-speak, add -zorz to the end of it.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

"Tort reform is one of the most overlooked problems today, and I am very glad Bush is going to address it on thursday."

Too bad he endorses candidates for Senate that have repeatedly voted against it.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Scubasteve, I really havn't met the clean personal injury attorney. Yuk. But I will agree that Kerry is probably a good writer as he was schooled at what people keep calling the "super elite" prep school that conservatives like myself send our children to, then of course Yale. His family must have lost their money/connections prior to law school, however. But he more than regained his elitism with 2 wealthy wives.

By Bobmarley (Bobmarley) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Anyone watching the Daily Show? Jon Stewart basically gets what I got from the "economic girlie men" quote.

Jon Stewart

"And for the 1.3 million Americans who have sunk into poverty over the past year, his message is: (Arnold voice) Suck it up, faggots. Walk it off."

What an awful speech.

By Socalgirlie18 (Socalgirlie18) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

I love Arnie! (I'm also pretty liberal.) I just wish he was with the dems, it would be so much cooler. Lol funny how no one talks about celebrities taking over the Republican Party even with Arnie being its big star. So much for the "liberal media."

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

umm actually most celebs are taking over the DEMOCRATS.

Republican celebrities are cooler and overall much more badass than any democrat celebs, but are unfortunately much lower in number.

Plus, democrat celebs are much more outspoken even though they are fairly looney. That's why everbody hears about them.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

interesting-

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/03/schwarzenegger.ap/index.html

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

socalgirl, arnold is the gov of the biggest state in the country, he is not some ignorant elite hollywood celeb telling poor people how to live and what is good for them. He isnt a whoopie goldberg or barbara streisand, he is now a politician, an important one at that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page