Origin of Species

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Origin of Species
By Myway (Myway) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit

Has anybody ever had to read the Origin of Species by Darwin? I have to for my English 101 class and I extremely hate it! It's like reading a scientist's detailed observations on finches and what not. Plus, there are many allusions (am I using the literary term correctly?) to all these other papers written by other scientists that just go over my head. And in addition, the titles for all the subchapter completely sum the subchapter up; as in, I feel reading the subchapters is a waste of time since their titles sum it up completely.

Anyway, I haven't yet been able to ask my professor. But what am I suppose to be getting out of this? Something tells me I shouldn't really be paying attention to the info but the techniques he uses to "persuade" his argument.

I've looked to see if SparkNotes has a guide, and even they don't. Ack!

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

Origin of Species for English class? I too find that strange.

By Vadim (Vadim) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

I'm a rising high school senior, and I'm reading the book "for fun." It isn't the most exciting work ever written, and Darwin is very repetative in some respects, but one must take into account that when the book was published, his theory was revolutionary. Very few people accepted such ideas, and he had to make a very strong argument. He was directly competing with the Judeo-Christian account of creation, and this made his arguments very controversial.

As far as what significance this book has now, Darwin does make some interesting points which I had never considered. For example, he discusses the fact that there is no fundamnetal difference between species and varieties, and that all the zoological classifications are somewhat arbitrary and that nature is much more gradual than these man-made divisions. He sees nature as one interconnected system rather than a series of indpendently created and indiivdual parts. I think that the most important thing to consider is simply how different his ideas were and how remarkable it is that he almost singlehandedly discovered one of the most important properties of nature so long ago.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Evolution is the work of the devil. God created the world.

The earth is 6000 years young.

By Phlogistonfreak (Phlogistonfreak) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

I read it, and decided that while it is necessary for a technical paper to present a very large amount of evidence to prove a case, particularly against so overwhelming of public opinion, it is now a very good candidate for some serious SparkNotes condensation. I found it interesting in retrospect, albeit rather boring to read.
I would suspect that the teacher would ask for basic facts (hopefully stuff you could get from the headings of the subchapters) simply because it is the sort of book so many students wouldn't read.

By Newnudad (Newnudad) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Davidrune - You're kidding right? Right! Whew! I thought I was going to have to open a can of Anthropological Gluteus Maximus Contusions for you,(Butt-kicking to you non-scientific folk), but since you're kidding, I can give it a rest! Ha Ha, had me fooled for a second!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page