Can't pass Driving test

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Can't pass Driving test
By Caro88 (Caro88) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

I just turned 16 and I'm having an impossible time passing the behind the wheel driving test to get my liscence. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do?

By Ericlu87 (Ericlu87) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

i passed it with -2,its quite easy the most important thing to do is ........................................................*drumroll* .......................................................................................................................to keep your compsure and stop being nervous

By Zuka (Zuka) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

if you cant pass the test, i wouldnt want u driving on the streets for fear of you not being able to drive

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Well, being nervous testing is not the same as being nervous while normally driving. There is a difference between formal "testing" driving and everyday driving (more comfortable, composed) just like there is a difference between the spoken word and the written word.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

where exactly do you live?

Does your state require an actual on-road test?
Or if you live in new Jersey, you have the driving tests in an enclosed course that "simulates real world driving"

If you are driving in an enclosed course, you should be able to go to it when it is closed and just drive around to get practice. Even though its illegal, nobody really cares. (especially true in NJ).

if it's a real on-road test, I'm sorry but you are screwed. You need to keep practicing until you are better.

**A little tip I learned from my driving school: Always AIM HIGH, which means looking ahead and always scanning for signs, lights, roadkill, etc...

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Hunter is right! The nervousness going through some people during that test makes them unable to perform as they usually would. The test isn't hard for most people, but staying calm is of the essence.

By Courtbroadway17 (Courtbroadway17) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

I know it is scary...just try to be calm...(I just had my drivers test like 4 days ago and passed). I would advise taking a ride with an instructor so you don't fail for "stopping over the imaginary crosswalk". Also, it sort of depends who you get. Some pass everyone, some fail everyone (or so I've heard.) So it's luck of the draw, but really, just do your best. I was older when I took my test (17) because the first year with my permit my parents never let me drive. So I really started driving this past April, and I sent away in July. Maybe being older and more mature helped me...I don't know.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I didn't really have trouble... no drivers ed?

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

get more comfortable with the road more. calm down and learn the traffic laws.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

I just tried to be as relaxed as possible. It helps if you talk to your evaluator a bit before, not to suck up, but to lighten the mood a little.

Also, keep your eyes practically fixed on your spedometer. If you're deciding between driving quickly and driving slowly, drive slowly. Two hands on steering wheel at all time! Pretend you're on a game show where the most anal-retentive, cautious driver wins :).

Take me, for example. I walked in on the first try, was nice to the instructor, and drove cautiously. Now that I passed, I do pretty much the opposite. I drive 35-40 in the residential zone and 50-55 on other streets. I drive with one hand pretty much all the time. If I think I can pass a yellow light, I pretty much always do it.

And I know what you're thinking. I wouldn't want to drive next to me either. :)

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 02:44 am: Edit

no no no... take it from the kid who passed his behind the wheel test flawlessly... me. it's all about sucking up. the more you kiss ass, the better you will do. o ya, and pay no attention to the sign that says "do not speak to the drive test dude during the test" i talked the whole time.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

Wow, a -0? I don't know a single person who got one.

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:53 am: Edit

I was so nervous when I had my driving test.

I was waiting in the waiting room or whatever you call it, and the guy who was testing me failed the kid who went before me.

I thought I was going to throw up.

Just do everything really exaggerated. If you concentrate on that, rather than what the guy is doing, you'll be fine. Just concentrate on the driving, not the evaluator.

I ended up doing really bad, because he says I went up on the curb on my parallel parking (which was an absolute LIE) and because I rode in the middle of one of the roads where it is four lanes across, but there is only a yellow line in the middle and no dashed white lines.

Whatever. The guy was a creep. But seriously, don't get discouraged. Everyone can drive (not well, but they can) and a smart kid like you will be gold once you get over being nervous and get your licence.

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

i'm 18 and just started driving like 6 weeks ago. i took my first road test early august and failed because i didn't use the left turn lane to turn left. i sucked, i didn't know what the hell i was doing. then i went on vacation for 2 weeks, practiced again with my parents for like 3 days, and passed the drive test this past friday. 12 errors tho (15 are allowed). but i'm leaving for college in 2 weeks and can't have a car on campus until i'm a junior....so i'll probably forget how to drive before i ever have a chance anyway. hah.

ok that didn't help you, i'm sure. just go practice with your parents every day for at least a half hour. you don't have to go into traffic, just drive around a residential area so you're totally comfortable with actually controlling the car.

By Curiouskatie (Curiouskatie) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

wow this makes me feel comfortable on the roads...

By Newnudad (Newnudad) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Don't worry about it... My wife has been driving for 30 years, and still can't do it right!

I run into - figuratively - 10 ****'s a day that don't know how to drive... why should you be any different!

Just promise me please...You will not sit at green lights!

Seriously - practice makes perfect - It's not rocket science!

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

practice around the dmv

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

yes i received -0. kissing ass is golden.

By Alphamom (Alphamom) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

My D had the driving test and instructor from hell! She had practiced for a year and flunked twice, so I retraced the course with her and discovered there were obstacles I have rarely, if ever encountered, like extremely blocked vision on most intersections, three 4-way unmarked intersections, etc. So, we mapped it, and practiced like an obstacle course, waited for a different instructor, and PASSED. She has been a careful, safe driver for two years now. Good Luck and have patience, sometimes the smartest kids overthink these things.

By Caro88 (Caro88) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

Thanks I feel a little better. I think it is partly my examiner and nervousness.

By Mayermatthews (Mayermatthews) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

Huh, that's funny... I was really nervous beforehand too but it ended up not being so bad. I got -1 I think. I would recommend checking your mirrors constantly & being really obvious about things like looking over your shoulder to change lanes and generally making everything a little more pronounced than usual. Also if you drive stick, take a car that's automatic if you can, there's less to think about/mess up. That's what I did. Umm just try and get comfortable before you start, be really sweet to the examiner and practice the course you'll be driving before you go. Good luck!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page