How can I help my brother do well in school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: How can I help my brother do well in school?
By Awesome (Awesome) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Hey pals,

I have a younger brother who just started school today (9th grade) and I want to get him on the right track. His previous academic years have not been so great, and his GPA for the past two years has been around a 2.5. Because of some family issues, I am the only one in my family who can actually help him. My mom's English isn't good enough, and my dad doesn't live in the country. My older brother doesn't want to do anything, but I can't change that anymore. My dad used to be the one to help my brother, and around then my brother held a comfortable GPA of 3.5. His grades have begun to fall ever since.

The problem is that my brother does not really want to do well in school. He would much rather sit at home and play computer games/playstation all day. I've tried punishing him, but it's hard for me to see him sad and also he finds his away around my punishments (and he never learns from them). I am seriously worried about him and I want to see him get into a good college. He has a good brain, but he doesn't use it for school. He especially has trouble in writing - he downright SUCKS in that, and I can't teach him how to write. I'm considering contacing a tutoring organization such as the Sylvan Learning Center. What do you guys think? This is his schedule:

Spanish 1
Algebra 1
World Literature
Intermediate Band
Earth Sciences
Intro to Arts

By the way, he goes to one of the most respected arts schools in California. I know that my brother has so much potential and can get into the nation's best schools. Of course, I'd love to see him in a top school, but more than anything, I want him to get a decent school. Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm moving to college next month so I can't really physically help him then.

By Songman (Songman) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Hey Awesome you said: "He would much rather sit at home and play computer games/playstation all day."

There are a lot of gamer companies in CA no? Call up on of them and see if a game designer will chat to your brother about the importance of an education. A sort of see even game designers or testers require an education. Video games are addictive to some and can actually decrease motivation..no one knows why some get addicted and others can walk away at a certain age. I would imagine right now the games are his only friend and a safe place to be. (remeber you are leaving !)You would be surprised if you told a company(Human Reources dept) your problem I'll bet they would have someone call your brother. And I believe he would listen!

By Songman (Songman) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Sorry tried to edit typos- webmaster would not let me!

By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

sounds like my brother. all my mom said was, eventually he'll learn from his mistakes. erghh... i hope so,, but sooner.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page