USA progress since 9/11

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: USA progress since 9/11
By Spunknic347 (Spunknic347) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Hi, I know many posters aren't from the U.S., but for those who are what are some proud/memorable moments that the U.S. has had since 9/11. This can be in sprorts, world politics, entertainment, science, technology etc?
Come possible examples
Hosting the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, creating the first artificial heart, etc.
This isn;t for homework, I'm planning a 9/11 memorial for our school and want to show ow we as a nation have continued to develop positively.

Thanks!

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Here are some that I got off the top of my head. Go crazy with 'em.

- The Yankees making it to the World Series: granted, many people hate the Yankees religiously, but after all the people of New York went through, seeing the Bronx Bombers in the Series gave them something to cheer about. For the first time in a while, the talk of the town wasn't about death and destruction, but the two walk-off home runs on consecutive games that gave the Yankees the win. Although they lost the thrilling seven-game series, it was still a defining moment in the recovery of the U.S. after 9/11.

- Jimmy Carter wins the Nobel Prize: In 2002, the Nobel Peace Prize went to former President Carter, a slap in the face to all who surmise that the U.S. and all her inhabitants are evil, belligerent conquerors. Thanks to his tireless work trying to bring social and economic justice as well as his attempts at peace in Haiti and North Korea, Carter is truly deserving of this honor.

- Cal beating Stanford 2 out of 3 times at the Big Game: Although Stanford won the 2001 edition of the Big Game, Berkeley has dominated the next two, and will undoubtedly continue its streak this year at Memorial Stadium. The sight of valiant, classy and very stylish blue and gold trampling dull, sickly cardinal and white is something that all Americans (sans Stanford fans, of course) can cheer about.

- Halle Berry and Denzel Washington win Oscars for lead roles: In 2002, lightning struck twice as Berry and Washington (both African-American, and both ridiculously good-looking) won Academy Awards for their parts in Monster's Ball and Training Day. Berry was the first black woman to win the lead actress award, while Washington was the first black man to win the lead actor award since the revered Sidney Poitier. Coincidentally, Poitier also won an honorary Oscar that night. It was a landmark night for the black community.

- Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle: Self-explanatory.

-Pooky

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

After losing the Space Shuttle Columbia right on the heels of 9/11, seeing NASA showcase American technology with the landing of the Mars rovers was especially nice for me.

By Spunknic347 (Spunknic347) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

thanks pookdogg and alongfortheride, I really appreciate your help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page