Spyware!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Spyware!
By Gracious95 (Gracious95) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Spyware is a real pain in the behind! I did download both adaware and spybot, but once I get rid of crap it just reinstalls itself. At first, my computer was just overrun with pop ups, and it helps, but a couple things still come back and here I am getting ads again. I believe all of this started when I plugged in my computer to the school's network. I guess super-fast internet comes with its downsides, lol. But, does anyone else have this problem?

By Welshie (Welshie) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Download a good browser (Mozilla Firefox for example) that blocks spyware. I'm doing that on my college network and am loving it.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Mozilla Firefox does NOT block spyware. It blocks popup ads. Only careful selection of software blocks spyware, or a good detection and disinfection program.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

My college network is one of the fastest around, and I certainly do my share of surfing/downloading. I never have spyware problems. I do a weekly search using the 3 most popular spyware protection programs (SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, and Spybot). In addition, I leave SpySweeper monitoring all possible adware/spyware offenses. These efforts along with a firewall, antivirus, and safe-surfing practices keep everything in tip-top shape.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Considering the two facts; first, that most spyware is transmitted via pop-ups, and second, that since using Firefox I haven't had a single trace of spyware, I'd say Firefox is a good choice to block spyware. Granted, firewalls, detection programs, etc. are probably better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page