A La Carte Cable Packages

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: A La Carte Cable Packages
By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:54 am: Edit

A couple of weeks I saw C-SPAN run and caught a discussion on TV channels. Do you guys and gals think that people should only sign up and pay for channels that they actually watch?

For example, $2 a month for MTV, if that's all you want. They have a similar system in Canada.

Do you guys agree? Disagree? Would parents cut out Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network if it weren't part of a 60-channel package? Would this lead to more media consolidation? Cause channels to go out of business?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

By the way, my solution is a 20 channel minimum or so, you must sign up for.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Wow, this thread is taking off /clipart{cheesy}!

By Dejaentendu (Dejaentendu) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:36 am: Edit

I've always thought this would be nice. And yeah, I think you have the right idea with the 20-channel minimum. I'd hate to have to pay the digital cable fee, plus the fee for whatever specific package I want just to get one channel that I'm actually gonna watch.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

It's a nice idea, but cable companies aren't about to let it happen.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 08:21 am: Edit

The people have the real power.

By Averagemathgeek (Averagemathgeek) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Nbbisme5,

You are correct. However, most people are satisfied with having someone else (the government or a major corporation in this case) think for them. Why? That is usually the path of least resistence.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page