Approach international basketball a whole different way?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Approach international basketball a whole different way?
By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:42 am: Edit

There are 2nd tier basketball players playing overseas. Their talent level is very much like most players we face in international basketball competition.
However, duing international competition, these player would have one advantage over NBA players: they are used to international rules.
International basketball is a very different game from the NBA, with very different emphasis.
During the NBA lockout year, Team USA consists of non-NBA'ers finished 3rd, and was in striking distance of championship, and more importantly, they have never embarrassed themseleves like the NBA players did.
I think the best approach is to have team consists of mostly such players, and maybe 2 or 3 NBA stars who are willing and eagar to play in the International competitions, in order to increase the talent level of the would-be squad.

Another solution: change the rules in the NBA to allow full zone defense, and call more tightly on player traveling.

The main problem, however, is the willingness of NBA pros to make the necessary effort to practice and sweat during the games.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:49 am: Edit

I think if USA really wants to win Olympic men's basketball, they should try harder to convince the top NBA players to join. I mean, really, if they had Kobe and KG and Shaq, no other team would stand a chance.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

foreignboy, that's impossible. No way are you going to convince lazy bums like Shaq to give up their summers to play without pay. The days of a super-star team are over

The only way USA can dominate once again is to change the entire NBA thinking. THat means:

1. Full Zone defense
2. extended paint
3. emphasizing fundamentals i.e. passing and SHOOTING
4. Minimum age for rookies i.e. at least 2-3 years college ball
5. Create good TEAMS to go to the Olympics, not a hodgepodge of big names i.e. Real point guards, Pure shooters, etc

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page