Terrorism strikes Russia? Possible

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Terrorism strikes Russia? Possible
By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=535&ncid=535&e=2&u=/ap/20040826/ap_on_re_eu/russia_plane_crash_7

Near simultaneous crashes of both planes seem mighty suspicious to Russian officials, as never before in history have 2 planes taking off from the same airport go down at nearly the exact same times.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

The crashes have been linked to terrorism, though in Russia, it's more about Czechan rebels than religious extremists.

By Bobmarley (Bobmarley) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Tupolevs are crap. They're made terribly. I wouldn't jump to conclusions (no Office Space jokes or I kill you) unless there is more evidence for terrorism.

If terrorists really wanted to hit planes, wouldn't they choose more popular routes/larger planes?

By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Agree, Tupolevs (at least nowadays) are rotting sheets of metal pounded together into a crap airplane. Though the fact that both went down nearly simultaneously is "suspicious," though it could be a complete coincidence.

And considering Russia is so economically destitute, I wouldn't be surprised if aircraft maintenance has been brought to a complete halt.

By Bobmarley (Bobmarley) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:23 am: Edit

Looks like I may be wrong:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/08/27/russia.planecrash/index.html

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 07:28 am: Edit

Oops.. Chechen rebels, not Czechan rebels. I knew that didn't look right.

By Zhou (Zhou) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Some reviewers believe that it was a terrorist attack done by the Chechen rebels...But that hypothesis needs some research and analysis to reach a generalization.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Ok, could someone help me out here? In simple sentence, why are Chechens rebelling? I've always heard the term "Chechen rebels" but could never find out why or against whome they were rebelling. Is is a situation like in Israel where they want they want land/own country, but Russia won't give it to them? Or is it something else?It's always bothered me that I never knew what the whole situation in Russia was, even after the theater incident when so many people were killed.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Soviet Union collapses. Chechnya (along with 14 other regions) declare independence.
Russia decides not to recognize Chechnya's independence and invades then is pushed out. Russians go in 3 years later ('94) with 45,000 troops.
Really bloody conflict. Chechnya continues asserting independence, does counteroffensives, etc.
This keeps going on with the Chechens using terrorism as a tool (most famous is the theatre hostage thing in 2002). So that's basically it.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Thanks Craigk, that really cleared things up for me- it was just one of those things I should know, but didn't.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page