Computer help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Computer help
By Incognita (Incognita) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

If i made a presentation on powerpoint on windows XP, would the powerpoint still run on windows 95,98, or 2000? if it won't, is there any way to change it so it does, like converting to richtextfile instead? i am so bad with computers, i only use them when i need to...

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Usually the software is backwards compatible-meaning that yes, if you made it in XP it would still work with older versions of Powerpoint. Remember that it isn't the operating system that makes a difference here, it is the version of Powerpoint.

To know for sure, go to the Microsoft website and check out their FAQ for Powerpoint. That is a question that is always on there.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

E-mail the file to a friend that has an earlier OS and Office. He'll be able to tell you.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

If not, maybe download a free PPT Viewer that might help out. Otherwise, go to a library or some place with old computers and check it out. Maybe you can bring your own computer to the presentation.

By Lame (Lame) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Actually, you're wrong on the backwards compatible thing. Things are generally only forwards compatible. PPT on XP includes backgrounds, transitions, etc. which aren't available in earlier versions of the program. However, you probably won't have too much trouble.

By Sc_Dad (Sc_Dad) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Windows XP is the operating system and is not the deciding factor. What version of Powerpoint do you have?

Just "save as" your presentation to a lower version. Of course you will not be able to utilized some of the more advance features in Powerpoint XP/2003

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page