Procrastination

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Procrastination
By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

I find that I am doing this more and more, especially as senior year approaches. I just don't feel like doing anything. Nothing motivates me anymore. I dread the start of school because I know I will get tons of homework and not have any energy to do it. How can I psyche myself up for school or is that impossible?

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

I'd give you some advice but I don't feel like it right now. Maybe later.

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

just know, that one more push, one more drive, will get you your degree.

you're almost done. there's no use in giving up now. you're used to the workload. you've done it before. it shouldn't be a problem! you can do it.

By Myway (Myway) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Oh I really suffered from it when I was a senior. Just remember the fear of failing/getting a bad grade. That and the pressure of college admissions was the thing that kept me going even though all I wanted to do was sleep.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

I suffer from procrastination, but it is more of a byproduct of my constant anxiety. If I don't do something I know that I'm supposed to do (even something as simple as making a phone call) I'll think about it obssessively, stressing myself out, but I still won't do it, for some reason.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

try hurting your desk. I'm not being sarcastic.
Everytime I felt stresed out, I procrastinated myself, which hurt, and it didn't look good either.
So I started sorta.. carving my desk, and it worked the same way.
I think I'm giving a horrible advice here but, hey, I've been there, and it's not pretty.

This college thing is about to be over. I'm in same place as you are, just one more year to go. We can do this. YOU can do this. Maybe you don't realize this but when you're hurting yourself, you're not only hurting you but so many other people as well. Eh, it sounds cheesy but true. I would be freaking sad if you were my friend and are hurt.

Plan a trip after graduation or something. Ask your parents if you can go to some.. different country as a graduation gift or something. Plan it, and think about it frequently. I planned a trip with my friend to go to Korea/Thailand like a year ago in my depressing days, and let me tell you. IT freaking works. You'd be so excited sometimes you wouldn't be able to sleep.

Well, I said a lot. Hope it helped even a bit.

Dude, you're not alone, and you can totally do this.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I know what you mean. I'm totally dreading school and all the work I have to do now is get supplies but I'm procrastinating with that too...

But you know, senior year is what everything's been building up to and it's only like 4 more months until this whole college app process is over!

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

meh...just MEH...

By Demingy (Demingy) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

If you need motivation, just do a search in the forums and read the threads by the poor kids that had great specs, got into highly selective colleges and found themselves scrambling to convince the colleges not to drop them after they suffered from senioritis.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Two observations. I think some procrasination is actually caused by perfectionism. You see too many things that can go wrong or need to be done perfectly to be worthwhile, so you prefer to do nothing. Try to make your goals to hit the time targets first and the quality targets second. You'll probably do better on both.

Second. Sometimes I think think the lack of energy to get started is actually.....a lack of energy. Your sleep habits have a stunning impact on how much "spark" and initiative you have. Treat yourself better in that department and see how much more energetic you are. Above all, turn off the television and the video games and the AIM and other distractions and get to bed before say 11:00 PM. People who are diminished from too little sleep don't look much different from those who are fully rested, but they behave completely differently.

Good Luck.

By Tongos (Tongos) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

hahaha! this is my first day of school right now, and im ditching it for college confidential!

Im just kidding.

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Red Bull gives you wings.

(I prefer SoBe Adrenaline Rush)

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

"You see too many things that can go wrong or need to be done perfectly to be worthwhile, so you prefer to do nothing."

OMG...I think you just described me perfectly...Every little thing requires so much time and energy to be right that you become discouraged. When I was looking through my old school notebooks, there were tons of assignments not handed in by simple virtue of the fact they weren't good enough. However, while my AP Psych teacher thought I was doing nothing, I was actually very busy, I just didn't have the proof to show it...:)

By Macramequeen (Macramequeen) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Ahh I can't believe it's my senior year. I'm so scared. There's too much to worry about... all I do is sit and be on CC and freak out and not do anything. I'm procastinating so bad. But this is so stressful. I want to cry.

By Joseancer (Joseancer) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

When I need a little motivation, I start treating school like its a sport. Tests are the playoffs and Finals are the superbowl :) It sounds totally nerdy, but it works for me and drives my family crazy with laughter.

During AP tests, every morning I would look in the mirror, slap myself in the face a few times and start jumping up and down saying "Its game time baby! Its game time!"

Rofl

-Jose

p.s. its a lot harder to find motivation in high school when you are following the whole "well-rounded" curriculum. I hope in college (i'm a freshman), i'll have more control over what I take and will be a tad more interested in what i'm learning.

By Gidget (Gidget) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Procrastination is like masterbation.... in the end you are only screwing yourself...

P.S.- Red Bull - study guide of champions.

By Joseancer (Joseancer) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Coffee works way better for me than Red Bull, and it tastes great when you get it freshly roasted :) Tanzanian Peaberry, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe... mmmmmmm gooooooood

-Jose

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

Just say this to yourself when you realize you have work to do:

"I think I'll procrastinate later."

:)

By Megofou (Megofou) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

I worry for the coming year. Not only did I procrastinate senior year (hs), I actually got BORED and actively searched out things to do to keep me from going to class and/or doing work. It was sad. With any luck, that just stemmed from a hate of my school and all will be well.

About the sleep thing though...I do more when I don't sleep as much. If I get say...ten hours of sleep...all I want to do is lay around all day. If I get 4 or 5 hours, I'm on my toes.

By Limon (Limon) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Big time procrastinator here. I've had teachers analyse why I procrastinate. It's very simple, I do what interests me and will give it as much time as it needs. Deadlines and consequences won't intimidate me, so the solution has been to find something that interests me about every assignment, or at least to pretend that there is and romanticise the idea of working.

Honestly, it's a sort of game for me, or some sort of skit. I tell myself that I'm going to play the part of a conscientious student right now, wouldn't it be fun to see what that's like? Isn't it sort of cool to be one of those people that works until 2am every night? I wonder what it's like. I'm going to go to the Starbucks down the street and get a hot moccha and a croissant and curl up in an armchair reading a biology textbook like it was a fantasy novel... and so on. In a way I'm lucky because I start to find things that interest me in whatever I'm doing, there's very little I can't find fascinating.

I know it sounds weird. It's also very hard for me to do things at home. I can spend an hour or two at school talking to a friend about a project and all the things we're going to do, get home, and what I was excited about is now absolute hell. I hate being home in general. There are people who don't fall asleep because they're reserved certain parts of their house for studying (a desk, or an office room, or a chair), and they naturally focus then. I don't, I have to leave.

About perfection, that's another part. I tend to think that essays are too good an opportunity to be written quickly, they must be mulled over and considered from every angle up until the day they're due, but that they're also too sacred to be written at the last minute. This is why I never get things done.

By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

Wow. I think the perfectionism thing makes sense. I'm reluctant to get started because I have to make sure everything is in place and is perfect. Once I start, I know that I will make mistakes so I do nothing, therefore, preserving the perfection. I have to analyze from every angle before I start. I also have trouble making decisions and postpone them until they have to be made. When I write an essay, I actually THINK more about the essay than actually writing it. I'm afraid to start because I know I will begin to make mistakes and will have to start making revisions. That's why I almost never revise. Just on time through, sentence by sentence, word by word, and I won't move on until I'm convinced that it's nearly perfect.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page