Hamm's gold suddenly less golden

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Hamm's gold suddenly less golden
By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Paul Hamm won the gold in the men's all-around because of a mistake in judging for the South Korean bronze medalist. The Korean was accidently given a 9.9 as a starting score, instead of the customary 10.0. If he had gotten the correct starting score, he would have bumped Hamm from the gold medal platform. THis decision does not affect the final standings since the Koreans did not file a formal complaint during the competition.

BTW, USA vs. Lithuania basketball is on. And USA is going to be owned. :(

By Pinkearmufs (Pinkearmufs) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

I don't know, if I were Hamm, I'd feel a bit guilty, you know, that I really didn't earn the gold and somebody that did earn it gets silver. what a disappointment.

By Hayden (Hayden) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

No, Pinkearmufs, it's worse. The South Korean got bronze, not silver. What a horrible mess, and it's horrible for both athletes.

I think they ought to award a second gold.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Isn't this the second major Olympic screwing of the South Koreans in a row?

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

If I were Hamm I would relinquish the gold - after all, if Hamm would have been gipped out of the gold for a technicality you know the press would be screaming for him to get it. Honorable thing would be to re-award the top 3.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Purgeofdoors: This is the first major screwing of the South Koreans. The big row over Apollo Ohno during the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics was the official making a judgment call that could have gone either way, and the Korean people making themselves look like sore losers. I'm Korean and while I think that Ohno shouldn't have won the gold in 2002, we definitely shouldn't have whined like little babies afterwards.

Of course, this time, it looks like that we actually have something to complain about. Regardless, what's done is done, and no one's going to overturn the medal placing. It would be nice for Paul Hamm to publicly say that he agrees with the complaints and offer to give back the medal, but odds are he's going to stay mum about the whole thing.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

That would be STUPID if Paul Hamm gave back the medal. He earned it, he won it, game over. If the Korean argues his case well then he should get his own gold medal.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Aim - he didn't earn it!
What if you took a test and answered a 10 point question and your teacher thought it was a 9 point question and gave you 9 points instead of 10.
Your friend takes the same test and gets the 10/10 and it just so happens it makes him valedictorian and you salutatorian. Wouldn't you ask the teacher to give you the full credit for your answer?
Think of it that way. Put yourself in the Korean's position, not Hamm's.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

The problem is that Hamm can't simply exchange his gold medal with the South Korean's bronze medal. The silver medalist would have to agree to give his medal to Hamm, which is even more unlikely than Hamm giving up his gold.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

You can't give someone something so prestigious and take it back because YOU made a mistake. The judges should suffer, not Paul Hamm.

By Tongos (Tongos) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

um, how can i believe this is really happening? seriously. this is beyond me.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

You know, Hamm and his coach looked over the tape of the Korean's performance and said that they found a 0.2 point deduction that the judges didn't make. So who should have won...? If judges were perfect, probably still Hamm.

By Emswim (Emswim) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I feel sorry for the Korean. I think that it would be a noble thing to do for Hamm to offer to give his medal to the Korean. If he does, I'm guessing the judges will award another gold.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Why not just award duel golds? They did it with the 2002 figure skating with the Canadians. Why should Hamm have to give up his medal on a call by a judge?

There are many football games that have been decided by a bad call, but they don't go back and reverse the decision. I'm sure many people in Oakland could attest to that (the tuck rule that screwed them out of the Super Bowl 3 years ago).

Yes, it's the Olympics, and it's a bit different, but you can't take away Hamm's gold. Also, if they start going back and "reviewing the tape", they could open up a big can of worms. They would have to start with Katsijima/Hansen in the 100m breast stroke. Hansen didn't get his gold because of a blown call by a judge, so why should they do it in this case?

By Phantom (Phantom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Did you guys hear about the latest controversy with the all-around women gymnastics? Svetlana is claiming that the event was fixed:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20040822101109990002

Weird. She appeared to be a very gracious loser that night.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

"Why not just award duel golds? "

Take ten steps, then turn and shoot. Whoever's left standing...

By Vegangirl (Vegangirl) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

phantom, it says you have to be an aol member to see the article. can you post it here? i'm interested to hear about it.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Russian Gymnast Says Women's All-Around Was Fixed
Khorkina Quoted as Saying She Might Have Won if She Was 'From America'
By GENNADY FYODOROV, REUTERS

MOSCOW (Aug. 22) -- Russia's Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women's all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said "everything was decided in advance."

"I'm just furious," Khorkina, who had been favorite for the coveted title, was quoted as saying in the daily Izvestia. "I knew well in advance, even before I stepped on the stage for my first event, that I was going to lose."

"Everything was decided in advance. I had no illusions about this when the judges gave me 9.462 for the vault after conferring with one another at length.

"I practically did everything right, still they just set me up and fleeced me," she said in the interview published on Saturday.

Asked why she felt she was marked down by the judges, Khorkina said: "You better ask them. I think it's because I'm from Russia, not from America!"

When Khorkina won her silver medal on Thursday, she showed no outward signs of disappointment and said: "I think it's the best day of my life."

The Russian was also favorite for the all-round title four years ago in Sydney, where her hopes were dashed after she crashed to her knees from the vault. It was later discovered the horse had been set five centimetres too short.

She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics.

Khorkina did not think Patterson was a deserving winner.

Asked if the American was a worthy opponent, she said: "I've seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let's see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself."

"No, well, you better write that Patterson is a great champion and she has a great future," she added sarcastically.

Khorkina confirmed that Athens were her last Olympics but she wants to remain in the sport.

"I'd like to work for the International Gymnastics Federation. These competitions have shown the sport needs a lot of changes," she said. "It should be judged primarily on grace, elegance and beauty rather than simply on mechanic tumbling."

On Sunday, the Russian competed in her last event -- the uneven bars, where she failed to become the first gymnast in history to win three consecutive Olympic titles on the same apparatus.

By Stopps86 (Stopps86) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

wow... sounds like sour grapes to me.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:26 am: Edit

"She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics."

Asshat. Judges don't grade based on sympathy.

By F3arxn03vil (F3arxn03vil) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

Asked if the American was a worthy opponent, she said: "I've seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let's see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself."

"No, well, you better write that Patterson is a great champion and she has a great future," she added sarcastically.

wow... Khorkina had a rough night :-D SOMEONE'S A LITTLE CRABBY!

"You better ask them. I think it's because I'm from Russia, not from America!"

Wouldn't that make a better argument if Patterson DIDN'T win gold??

By Conngirl21 (Conngirl21) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:27 am: Edit

Paul Hamm actually did deserve the gold. Like Ay Caramba said, the South Korean had an extra hold, and should have gotten a 0.2 deduction. So even if he had gained the .1 for the start value, but lost the .2 for the hold, he would be at -.1, which leaves him behind Hamm. If the judges are going to use video replay (which is prohibited)to fix the errors, then they should deduct 0.2 in addition to adding 0.1

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page