Changing majors: from Accounting to Economics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Changing majors: from Accounting to Economics
By Immortalwarrior (Immortalwarrior) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 09:06 am: Edit

Hello, I'm a new member here, so I'd like to say a few things about myself and college (I'll try to keep it short).

I'm from Kuwait, I graduated from high school in July with a 3.8 GPA, that's quite good, so I got a scholarship to study abroad, I choose the USA, then I got a list of majors to choose from (not from the university, but from the Kuwait Cultral Office in Washington DC) I choose Accounting (Economics wasn't available)

Let me quote something from their site (Kuwait Culture Office) about changing majors;

"Q. Can I change my major during the course of my scholarship?

A. Requests for a change of major must be done in writing and supported by relevant documents (request letter should include the reason for the change, a study plan, transcripts, etc.). This is a one-time request only"

"Change of Major:

* A student cannot change his/her major without the prior approval of the Ministry of Higher Education through the Cultural Office.
* Requests for a change of major shall not be considered unless students meet the minimum required high school GPA for admission to the scholarship program in the new major (the GPA should be that of the year in which a student was initially admitted to scholarship program, as well as completing 15 credits in the original major).
* Any student who was admitted into the scholarship program through the Cultural Office is not allowed to change his/her major. He/She must adhere to the major for which he/she was recommended for scholarship.
* Medical scholarship students sponsored by the Ministry of Higher Education are allowed to change to other medical majors (subject to the Ministry's approval).
* Engineering scholarship students sponsored by the Ministry of Higher Education are allowed to change to other engineering majors (subject to the Ministry's approval).
* Students should not have finished their second year when requesting a change of major.
* A change of major should not delay a student's graduation."

So from what I understand, I can change majors.
But it should not delay the graduation date.
My question is; Can I send my letter for changing majors after 1 year of college, in other words; Are the courses the same for Accounting/Economics the first year? Or are they completely different?

I also need some advice about this, Can you guys tell me the positives and the negatives of both Accounting and Economics? From what I know studying Economics leads to better chances of finding a job after graduation, and even someone with Economics as a major can become an Accountant after graduation, if he wishes.

And I need very convincing reasons for my choice (Why Economics over Accounting?) And the reason I'm saying I'll change after one year is because my applications was already sent to the colleges, for "Accounting".

P.S. Please reply, I registered just to post that, and I need opinions. ;)

By Immortalwarrior (Immortalwarrior) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

ANYONE?? this really matters to me.. I see lots participate in "which college should i go to?" threads.. this is about my major, and it matters too. I'm sure lots read this post, but I need replies! :\

By Massdad (Massdad) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

It really depends on the school. You need to review the program requirements carefully at your chosen college. It is not uncommon that an undergrad can take a lot of courses in another area, while still meeting the requirements for a specific major. If you were willing to take a few extra courses, you could even end up with two majors. It is done all the time.

You probably want to post this to the college life section, too. You may get more responses there.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Do you have a way to contact the cultural office? It seems that is what they require anyway: "A student cannot change his/her major without the prior approval of the Ministry of Higher Education through the Cultural Office."

I would suggest that you ask them your questions because someone here who has never gone through it (or has gone through a slightly different program) could give you bad information.

I would like to point out another part of what you posted that tells me that you might not be able to change your major--but you really should ask them. Quote: "Any student who was admitted into the scholarship program through the Cultural Office is not allowed to change his/her major. He/She must adhere to the major for which he/she was recommended for scholarship." You mentioned you received a scholarship, so this part may apply to your situation.

Contact them.

By Immortalwarrior (Immortalwarrior) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Maybe their website isn't updated, but I know I can change majors (that's what I was told by an employee here) but I will send them an e-mail asking about this, to make sure.
BTW do you guys think its wise to change to economics? 2nd part of my Q :)

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

"Do you guys think its wise to change to economics?"

If you're going to grad school, or if you want to work in the US, it doesn't matter much. In Kuwait, people might have a different opinion though.

"Can I send my letter for changing majors after 1 year of college"

There should be no problem with this as long as your scholarship programs allows you to. Many students change their majors, sometimes several times, during the course of their undergraduate careers.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page