Paul Hamm Wins Gold!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Paul Hamm Wins Gold!
By Jerew (Jerew) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Paul Hamm Wins Gold!

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Man, that was really amazing. I was hopeful that he might be able to come back and maybe win a bronze after that terrible vault, but I didn't even think gold was possible! That was a comeback for the record books.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:21 am: Edit

Most remarkable thing I've seen on the Olympics so far. You don't typically win a gold medal after literally falling onto the judges' table. Go him.

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

Word, that kid grew up in the city right next to mine.

The kid trained in a barn, for crying out loud...

I wonder if Morgan is feeling the pangs of jealousy?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

You spoiled it! Damn you!

By Feuler (Feuler) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:15 am: Edit

Luckily I didn't read this forum beforehand, but in the future, don't mention something like this without saying "SPOILER" in the title or something (unless it's after midnight or so on the west coast already).

But yes that was fücking amazing. Holy crap. Easily the most incredible thing I have seen at the Olympics so far (even a couple measures above the Mens 4x200 Free Relay, which was TIZZIGHT).

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

THAT WAS SO AMAZING

I have to disagree though Feuler, though it was such a great comeback (sweetened with the korea 2-3 win), I was MUCH more hoarse after that Mens 4x200 Free... despite the fact that I was spoiled by a stupid banner on the Yahoo! Site (they REALLY have to watch that, the bastards)

i felt like crying when he fell but he was so... wow, that was fabulous

By Emswim (Emswim) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

I think that was the greatest moment in athletics I've ever seen. That is a true champion, to perservere when there seems to be no hope at all.

By Opspeed (Opspeed) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

why does he sound like a girl?

By Vegangirl (Vegangirl) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:00 am: Edit

who cares?

By Dressagechick (Dressagechick) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

It wasn't a real gold medal. Apparently the guy from Korea who got bronze was really supposed to win, because the judges screwed up one of his scores. Hopefully he gets another gold.

By Mosquito86 (Mosquito86) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Dressagechick,

There's more to this than that. They said the South Korean was deducted a tenth of a point for something he shouldn't have been deducted for. However, it was also shown that there were three tenths worth of points that should have been deducted from him. Whatever the case is..it's not Paul Hamm's fault..it's rather the judges and administration.

As for Paul Hamm, I admire that instead of gettin discouraged, he gave outstanding routines (and they were extraordinary!). Whatever the color of the medal he's supposed to have, I am happy that he pulled himself up to that.

By Sepi11 (Sepi11) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

paul hamm is my hero. i love him!

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

WTF, he didn't win it. The judges gave it to him. Korea won it.
I hate Hamm and Ono

By Feuler (Feuler) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

Dude, whether he deserved it or not, you can't hate HIM, because he didn't do anything wrong. He just did his routines, and if the judges were unfair, that's not his fault.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:37 am: Edit

Oh man. I hate to say this, but the guy from Russia was quite a bit better than Hamm tonight (although Hamm was still very good) and he didn't get anything for it. I was so shocked. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:16 am: Edit

It just sometimes happens, when one gymnast is clearly superior but does not get rewarded as such. I don't know if international politics is in play, or just boneheaded judging.

By Mosquito86 (Mosquito86) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

I definitely agree that the Russian guy was gipped. I think the medals should have been: Gold to the guy who did win it (the Italian), Silver to the Russian, and Bronze to Paul Hamm. I just can't believe the judges would screw up like that. However, I admire the Russian for handling it w/ a lot of class. I'm also glad the crowd did not stand for the blatant unfairness.

Best Wr,

You shouldn't be hating Hamm..but rather the judges. Hamm did his best and he managed to move up from 12th to metal standing (granted..some others fumbled along the way). Plus, South Korea didn't win it. They actually PROVED that while the South Korean was deducted unfairly on one account, he had other things that he DIDN't get deducted for. So in the end..his score evened out to what it was (bronze worthy). I'm not saying it's fair..but that's the way it is. Hamm actually did deserve the medal.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page