Teacher tricks????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Teacher tricks????
By Incognita (Incognita) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

I'm reading the Once and Future King as a summer homework assignment, and i have to write an essay about excalibur as presented in the book. BUT THERE"S NO MENTION OF EXCALIBUR IN THE BOOK!!
or is there?

or is my teacher tricking me ( to see if i actually read the book)
someone get this stright 4 me

By Dm101 (Dm101) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

what's the essay question exactly?

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Could your teacher be referring to the sword Arthur pulled out of the anvil? I don't remember it being called Excalibur though, and according to most legends, excalibur comes later...

By Dm101 (Dm101) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

my guess is that the teacher wants you to write about the sword wart pulls from the "stone and anvil", even if it isn't explicitly referred to as "Excalibur" in the book. teach' is probably assuming everyone knows that in the movies that's what they call the sword.

also, if it were a trick, then how could you possibly write a suitable essay? if you turn in a paper saying "there is no mention of excalibur in the book," i mean, not exactly an essay. so that would be quite the cruel trick on the part of the teacher to put the conscientious student in such a position.

that's why i was wondering the exact wording of the question.

By Suprmodl29 (Suprmodl29) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

excalibur comes from the lady of the lake. maybe ask ur classmates.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Calling the sword in the stone/anvil "Excalibur" is an extremely common mistake, so I'd agree with Dm101 that your teacher probably meant the sword in the stone. I doubt she/he would play such a horrible trick. Although I've never read Once and Future King, I have read the Mists of Avalon and I recently did a term paper on the Arthurian Legends. Suprmodl29 is right that Excalibur comes from the Lady of the Lake, and it is returned to the Lady after Arthur dies(mysterious hand from lake reaching out to grab it).

I don't believe that the sword Arthur pulls from the stone is too significant--I don't even believe he uses it anymore afterwards (though perhaps this is not the case in your book). Perhaps your teacher wanted you to discuss the significance/meaning of the sword-pulling test itself (Realistically speaking, it is absurd to have the next king determined by pulling out a sword from a stone). What was the exact question?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page