Olympic Swimming *Spoiler*

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Olympic Swimming *Spoiler*
By Emswim (Emswim) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Is anyone else following the swimming? There was just a HUGE upset with South Africa winning the gold in the mens 4 x 100 free relay. The Americans ended up 3rd. This is a sad day for American swimming. :(

By Dressagechick (Dressagechick) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

They're gonna get more than enough medals in swimming when Phelps is done.

By Emswim (Emswim) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

I really hope he can win 7 gold, but it seems unlikely now.

By Stopps86 (Stopps86) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

what was up with Ian Crocker in that relay?

By Emswim (Emswim) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

I don't know. He split 50.05, which is WAY off what he went in trials. Maybe it was just nerves; I think that was his first swim ever in the Olympics.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Am I the only one a bit pissed off with that Katsijima from Japan in the 100m breaststroke? At his turn, he CLEARLY does a dolphin kick, which is illeagal in the event. The announcers show the replay and talk about it...yet he can still get away with it. If I was Hansen, I would protest the race after coming in 2nd by only a few tenths of a second.

By Emswim (Emswim) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Yes, I didn't see it personally, but I've heard all about it. Even my younger sister, who is a nonswimmer, noticed it. I wonder if he did it on purpose?

By Vancat (Vancat) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Clearly Katsijima did it on purpose. even in the lowest levels of competitive swimming the dolphin kick off of a turn in breaststroke is illegal. Katsijima obviously knew that and lucked out that the officials didn't see it. Hansen should definately protest.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

I hope he does, it shouldn't be too hard. Thanks to the miracle of modern telecasts, there are many underwater cameras in the pool that they use to show replays, so if he can just get a hold of the tape they showed of Katsijima's turn on the NBC coverage, he should win the case. The announcers were commenting about it, Costas mentioned it, and if I can see the dolphin kick, it should be pretty obvious to Olympic officials. It was so sad to watch- it was Hansen's birthday, he had been working his whole for a gold, and his dad was in the stands watching. After the race, he was practically crying...and then they showed the dolphin kick and I really got upset. He did the same thing in the prelims, although the kick wasn't as obvious as the offical race.

By Ericlu87 (Ericlu87) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

south africa was not an upset they were the best choice...

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

South Africa did great... but I was mightily pissed off at Crocker (and that last minute silver by netherlands was so arrrghhhh)

By Feuler (Feuler) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I don't think Hansen should protest it simply because it wouldn't be in the spirit of the games. When the race is over, it should be over. There shouldn't be any of this second-guessing, re-awarding medals, etc. because it sets a precedent for doubt after the fact. Instead of the euphoria (or disappointment) of seeing the result, there would be the doubt (or outside hope) that something will be revised. That shouldn't be- there should be finality.

When you think about it, it is really the judges' fault for not noticing it at the time, and I think that is inexcusable. If it's hard to see from above, maybe they should have some judges watching the underwater cameras or something, to make sure this stuff gets caught. But swimmers should not be able to be DQed after the race is already over.

Besides, he didn't really deserve to win; neither of them had very good times in that race, compared to their personal bests.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

On the other point of discussion- I really want to see Phelps take down Crocker in the 100 Fly now. Firstly because Crocker f***ed up the relay, and secondly because Phelps deserves to be in the medley relay, especially after such a disappointing free relay that wasn't his fault.

By Topper (Topper) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Anyone know if Phelps is in college?

By Hayden (Hayden) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

Topper - not right now. He did not enter college right after hs, but went professional instead to train for Athens. After Athens, he plans to go to University of Michigan.

By Emswim (Emswim) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

**Spoiler Warning!**

Peirsol got DQ'd in the 200 back after fininishing first! Does anyone think that the judges are trying to get back at him after the breaststroke?

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

He got his gold back though. :)

By Emswim (Emswim) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:13 am: Edit

Thank goodness! The turn in question looked perfectly legal to me! Rogan, the second place finisher, showed a lot of class in supporting Peirsol.

By Topper (Topper) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

Definitely. I heard he's a good friend of Peirsol's. But seriously, if he was 2.5 seconds ahead of Rogan and the reason he got DQ'd was debatable, I can understand why Rogan (or anyone else, for that matter) would feel uncomfortable taking the gold. Yay Piersol!

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

yes he did... Phelps was AMAZING *sigh*

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

That judge was on crack. I love how calm Aaron was about the whole thing. And I admire Markus Rogan for being so supportive and even telling Aaron that he should protest it. much love for Aaron & Markus.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page