Olympic Mens Soccer (or Football)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Olympic Mens Soccer (or Football)
By 1212 (1212) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

i have not been keeping track with soccer for a couple years and im wondering if the best euro players avoid the olympics for soccer after Portugal and Greece, finalists of the Euro 04, both lost to Iraq (4-2 to port.) and Mali (2-0 to gre). Whats going on?

By Hokie_2004 (Hokie_2004) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

I think that most countries send thier second string teams to the olympics.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

The thing is, the Olympics mandate a 23-and-younger policy for all teams. Each team's players must be under the age of 23. Each team is also allowed to have three overage exceptions.

Consequently, the traditional pecking order of world football (ie Brazil > Iraq) may not necessarily apply. Hence the abscence of Brazil, Germany, and Spain in Athens.

By Vegangirl (Vegangirl) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:42 am: Edit

Interesting. I didn't know about that rule. Pookdogg, do you know what the reason for it is, and why the same rule doesn't apply to the women's soccer competition?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:23 am: Edit

The Olympic games are (were) supposed to be pure amateur games. The strict rules used to prohibit NBA athletes to participate, and I believe that NHL and MLB players are still precluded to participate. It seems that the rules are subject to heavy negotiations between the IOC and the various leagues around the world. The presence of professional athletes are seen as a necessary evil but also ensure the commercial success of a number of sports. In the end, we have a hodgepodge of rules and Olympic games that have very little appeal to the purists but attract interest from a wider range of spectators.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

IMO, professional athletes should be allowed to participate in the Olympics. After all, if you win a gold medal, you're supposed to be the best in the world, not just the best among people who aren't good enough to be professional.

By 1212 (1212) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

so whos the favorite to win this thing, argentina?

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

most probably argentina will win it, since brazil and germany are out.

By Matth (Matth) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Xiggi, NHL players do participate in the Olympics. Canada won Olympic gold in Salt Lake City and most teams that year were made up of only NHL players.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Most professional leagues suspend their leagues during the olympics. Therefore during that period of time, players in the NHL, NBA etc. are by definition "amateurs"

By Matth (Matth) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Davidrune, the NHL took a 12 day break during the Olympics but it was only for the final round of hockey. Its players were not available for the preliminary rounds which affected several European teams who were trying to qualify. The NBA schedule would not be affected because it's obviously their off-season.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

it was nice to see Iraq destroy Costa Rica 2-0. And seeing how they pummeled the heavily favored Portugal, I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq made a very strong showing in Athens. About time they get to compete in the Olympics without fear of torture and abuse.

By Chavi (Chavi) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Personally, I think allowing NHL and NBA player in to the Olympics has put a damper on things. Look at this year in basketball. Only a few NBA stars wanted to go, and most of them seem to have hardly ever played together before. We'll never see another "Miracle" game again. The pro's seem so lackadaisical about it. I prefer seeing perhaps a younger, less talented team who is hungrier and plays like they mean it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page