Kerry - Positive comments ONLY

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Kerry - Positive comments ONLY
By Simba (Simba) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

It is not fair that only Bush gets the 'play' time on this board. Let us hear about Kerry.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

he won 3 purple hearts and yes its true he won it thrice.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

He will do a better job as President than our current President.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Went and heard him at a rally yesterday ... quite impressive. Especially liked (and everyone else here should like) that one thing he spoke about was a $4,000 tax deduction per college student.

I gave him an opportunity to change my mind and he did.

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Zac: But will this land surely vote for him?

By Simba (Simba) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Craig: You are welcome

By Astroscholar88 (Astroscholar88) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

1)He is an eloquent speaker
2)No criminal record
3)He had a privilaged background but went to Vietnam anyway
4)Running a cleaner ad campaign than Bush

By Mosquito86 (Mosquito86) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

I just wanted to add something to this post: a similar stipulation as the Bush positive comments thing.

ONLY POSITIVE COMMENTS. Please no bashing. Does the OP agree?

I like Kerry's solid experience and intellect. I can see him making the US a more respected country (right now we're less liked globally then ever before). As well, I think he chose a good running mate. John Edwards may not have much experience, but I see a genuine drive to help America. As well, I think he can relate to middle and low class Americans well.

By Simba (Simba) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Yes Mosquito I agree

By Lostnconfused (Lostnconfused) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

i think he will succeed in closing the wide gap between the democrats and republicans which is prevalent due to the George Bush opposition.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

deleted-i forgot about the thread subject

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

I find the most attractive facet of Kerry to be his desire( and my belief in his ability) to regain positive world opinion. I find that our current administration has been rather embarrising in this regard. Even if America is the most powerful country on Earth, it doesn't mean that we can go without friends in the world, just as a kid in school gets pretty lonely without pals. As a future politican and hopefully President of the United States, I think it is imporatant for Kerry to win the election so that America can regain its respected status in the world arena.
There are of course many other aspects of his platform which i find to be extremely attractive (including John Edwards) but I will have to postpone the rest of my thoughts as it is almost midnight here and i pulled an icecream and soda all nighter last night (just because,, you, know, its summer and all) so I will be back tomorrow to comment on why I like Kerry's stances on
Education
Health Care
Iraq
Taxes
Women
and other such issues
*iplayoboe*

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I will be interested to see his and Edward's book. There really have not been that much specifics, which I hope this book would go into. If anyone's seen it (I know it's been thown out at rally's even though it hasn't been released), I'd like to hear what you think.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Positive: He can speak very well... something, I feel is a critical attribute to be President of the United States

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I liked hearing John Kerry say last week that our decision to go into Iraq was the right one and that he would have voted for the congressional resolution authorizing force against Iraq even if he had known then that no weapons of mass destruction would be found.

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

His war-time veteran status tells me that he won't arbitrarily send troops into battle without seeking other diplomatic solutions first (firstly, he knows what combat is like, and secondly, he rallied to end the Vietnam War). This should contribute greatly to our exit plan in Iraq.

He appears to have a much, much clearer plan for the economy and healthcare, both of which effects me and my family tremendously.

He supports stem cell research.

He is a man of morals, not of faith.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Here's my $0.02 on John Kerry. I'm trying to be open-minded as I can about this (an attribute that is sorely lacking on both sides), so please excuse me if some residual pro-Bush talk creeps up:

John Kerry has had a much better pre-presidential track record than President Bush. Although the SwiftVet campaign has attempted to derail his image, I think most of us (Republicans included) don't truly believe that the Swift veterans are speaking truth.

Also, John Kerry is pro-choice. Granted, some may think that this is a negative more than a positive, and I still vacillate on it as well. But in an ever-modernizing world, the hardline pro-life stance of conservatives like Bush may prove to be inflexible.

Although I generally supported Bush's tax breaks, I was dismayed to see that they indirectly cut into the funding of non-profit extracurricular youth music programs, something I was heavily involved with in my grade school days. John Kerry's tax plan might not be for the greater good, but it would probably produce a beneficial effect to aforementioned non-profits. And I somewhat selfishly would not object to that.

Sure, I'm still young and reckless, but I am still concerned with healthcare. Kerry definitely holds the edge in this category. Perhaps his campaign promises are just to sway senior voters, but if he holds true on his healthcare promises (something that's unfortunately looking more and more unlikely judging from his financial plan), that's a huge plus in my book.

All that being said, I still feel that this Bush-Kerry analysis is incomplete (which explains why I'm voting Bush )but that's for another thread and another day.

~Pooky

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Something else I like: He told the Dubuque Telegraph Herald in early July that he believes that life begins at conception. He also said that he is personally opposed to abortion and that he doesn't like it.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Browninfall: I was under the impression that Kerry was very pro-choice, even to the point that some Catholics were demonstrating against him and refusing to do Communion with him. Anyone care to verify?

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

He's not Bush.

By Jadex (Jadex) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

^^^

Amen to that.

He came across more focused than Bush, and doesn't seem like the kind of person who makes hurried, quick decisions.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Hmmmm, had to think hard on this one.....
oh yeah, he has a knack for marrying rich!

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

It's comforting to see that both sides act just as ridiculous.

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Though speaking of which did anyone see that report of all the people Kerry is related to (basically every European monarchy) and the candidate with the most family "connections" has won the last 42 (seems like a lot) presidencies?

By Astroscholar88 (Astroscholar88) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Yeah, apparently he is related to Ivan the terrible, Henry II and III, Richard the Lionheart, and other monarchs on mainland Europe!

By Ishouldflee (Ishouldflee) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

lol, hate to burst your bubbles, but a quarter of the population of Earth is somehow or another related to monarchies. I am , to the whole British line, Swedish monarchies, and even Roman emperors...
but that doesnt mean that i dont like Kerry!
quite the opposite. I love Kerry
I think his stance that gay Unions should be legal but not gay marriages is my favorite. I think that marriage is a religious union of a man and a woman, but in a free country, everybody deserves the same rights as couples, ie the legal implications of marriage.
and i support the woman's right to chose.
and when people go off about how either and or of those issues is a sin, i counter with, then you dont have to do it, but you have no right to impose your religious belief that homosexuality/abortion is a sin on others when they have the right to chose to "sin" if they want to.
and hes not bush
and he actually served his military time
and hes not bush
and his plans to roll back the tax cuts to the wealthy inorder to fix bush disgusting deficit.
i really really like kerry!

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

The point with that was that he is related to more than Bush in comparison and according to the last 42 elections, Kerry would win.

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Pookdog: You're correct, Kerry says he is also pro-choice. I'm only relaying what he told the Dubuque Telegraph Herald. You figure it out.

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

Craig, that is perhaps the dumbest prediction basis I have ever heard...but whatever.

On topic, I think Kerry is very decisive....oh wait....err, Kerry is very exciting to listen to....oh wait....

okay, that was just a little joke, but I really do think Kerry....has good hair!

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

It is a coincidence Benjamin ... calm down. It's just interesting to look at stuff like that. Now go away ... you should be booted or at least warned for your comments. Just because some Kerry people didn't respect the Bush thread like it should be doesn't mean you can. Is it too much to ask for you to be respectful/civil?

By Napoleoncomplex (Napoleoncomplex) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

I don't think Kerry's stance on the life/choice debate is that complicated.

His personal belief is that life begins at conception and he has a personal moral objection.

However, he respects the rights of other people to make their own choices on the subject.

I don't think that there is any ambiguity or waffling, regardless of what the GOP would want you to think.

And the SwiftVet thing came to prominence thanks (in part) to Coulter. RED FLAG!

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

I liked what Kerry said prior to the 1992 election when the Republicans were questioning Bill Clinton's draft dodging. He argued that what people did during the Vietnam War shouldn't be discussed in polite company as that was such a difficult time in our nation's history, and what people did or did not do should not be exploited for political gain.

By Smartblond (Smartblond) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

I like the fact that he can think for himself. Bush has people telling him what to say, and when he speaks his own mind, he tends to stutter really badly (gay marriage). So Kerry's public speaking abilities are also immensely better than Bush's, which is a plus for the United States. Who wants a president that can't speak his own language?! *misunderestimate*

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Smartblond: I like the fact that John Kerry is more explicit than George Bush when discussing "gay marriage" - that is, that John Kerry says that he is opposed to it while George Bush is "stuttering" about it.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

He saved his hampster!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page