Why Marriage matters

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Why Marriage matters
By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I was dismayed that my thread on Aids education was virtually ignored. I was horrified that organizations will be all but forced to teach that condoms don't work and the best and only protection is to stay ten feet away from any sexual partner.
( But I never understood this math. If this country wants to use abstinence education as the only way to prevent pregnancy, how do they equate that with teaching that Jesus was born of a virgin?)
Anyway I wanted to share this columm as I think it speaks to a very humane reason to allow marriage between unrelated adults of either sex.
http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=5415

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

While I am in support of gay marriage, wouldn't civil unions do the same thing in the situation explained in the article?

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

"But I never understood this math. If this country wants to use abstinence education as the only way to prevent pregnancy, how do they equate that with teaching that Jesus was born of a virgin?"

Emeraldkity, I do believe that was just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Any sane person knows that Mary bearing the Christ child was a one time thing...

By Calmom (Calmom) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:50 am: Edit

Caramelapple - there are more than 1,000 different specific legal rights that exist for married people that cannot be granted via civil union. (You'd probably have to go to a gay rights site to get a list - I certainly don't know them all). But a lot of those rights have to do with tax and inheritance laws.

I think the best argument for gay marriage is in the legal opinion of the Massachussetts supreme court.

I never really understood the opposition, because it seems to me that to be opposed to gay marriage is to want to encourage gay promiscuity. Society overall benefits from families with stable relationships, especially when there are children involved. So it seems to me that anyone who is truly pro-marriage would be pro-gay marriage as well as pro-straight marriage.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page