What do you major in as an undergrad if you want to become a

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: What do you major in as an undergrad if you want to become a
By Dusk2k2 (Dusk2k2) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I'm just curious. I've started thinking about possibly going into a career in law, but I'd like to know what people typically major in as a undergrad before going to law school.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Pre Law... obivously.
Political Sciences.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Doesn't matter. Pre-law if your college offers it would be nice, but law schools really don't care what your undergraduate major is as long as your GPA and test scores are good.

I've actually heard that Chemistry majors have the highest admit rate to law school, but that's due to reasons other than school preference.

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

political science is the traditional undergrad major for law. some schools have pre-law programs. crimianl justice and hostory are also popular.

that said, just about any major is good for law skools

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Just about anything. One of two things is usually considered...

1) Often people like to take an "easier" major like one of the liberal arts, so that they can get a high GPA and get into a good law school.

2) Others like to major in something challenging like engineering which shows they can handle intense work.

... I attended a seminar at Columbia Law School 2 years ago and the admissions crew informed us that it doesn't really matter, but they do like to see graduates who had a tough major.

Basically, follow your heart and do well with whatever you decide to major in.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Anything you desire, just do well because a good law school makes a big difference in employment options.

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

With high demand for tech-literate patent lawyers, engineering is a good option... however I've read a lot in another thread (Engineering the Truth parts I II and III) that since the major is so difficult, law schools generally underestimate the GPA deflation, causing it to be incredibly difficult for Engineer majors to be admitted.

Classics, philosophy, english, etc. Are prolly best.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

"I've started thinking about possibly going into a career in law"

If you're not 100% sure you want to go into law, dont major in political science...because if you decide you don't want to get your law degree, you'll just be stuck with a degree with not alot of opportunities. If you're lucky, you'd get a job with your state's U.S. Senator and end up giving tours of the capital buidling to the consitutents all day. lol I'm going to major in international business but plan to get the law degree.

By Chavi (Chavi) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Depends on what interests you. What kind of law do you think you might want to practice? Business? Criminal? Appellate? Real Estate? Estate Planning? Tax? Find a major that goes along with what interests you, like international business as stated above, or criminology, etc. If you want to be a litigator, consider a few classes at least in drama or debate. If you're looking for something generic, go for English or History rather than poli sci (unless you want to go into politics). Most forms of law practice require a lot of writing, so concentrate accordingly.

By Cartoon_Cutie (Cartoon_Cutie) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

i want to get into forensic science and i know i am suppose to major in biology but what kind of gradute school do i get into. i mean whats next after biology?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Some schools do have an undergrad forensic science major.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

My daughter is going to Georgetown (SFS) and majoring in International Politics/International Law. She has always wanted to be a lawyer and plans on going to law school after GT. If she changes her mind she will still be marketable with that degree.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page