New Jersey Governor Resigns Because He's Gay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: New Jersey Governor Resigns Because He's Gay
By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Actually that's a lie. He had an affair with another man (he's married) and he decided to resign because of staying in office would leave him vulnerable to rumors, accusations, and whatnot and would impact his ability to govern.

It came out of the blue, at least to people who don't follow politics. I for one thinks that this makes homosexuals look bad and New Jersey even worse, which is a bad thing.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

It makes people who commit adultery look bad, not homosexuals.

By 1212 (1212) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

i met the dude before, and i believe he opposed same sex marriages and rather favored same sex marriages, he was an @$$hole anyway

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

How could this make homosexuals look bad? He was the governor of a state, not the president of a gay union. I'm quite sure what he did doesn't represent the actions of all or even most homosexuals... especially since they cannot be married so there is no such thing as adultery for them. Further, it definitely doesn't make the state of New Jersey look bad, because nobody had any clue of his preferences or what was going on when he was elected.

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

this guy is just sad

By Matth (Matth) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

The whole situation is sad and I feel badly for him and for his family. Perhaps if society were more tolerant and accepting, he wouldn't have felt the need to live a lie and marry a woman. Just a thought.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

That guy is very attractive. :(

The fact he cheated was very sad. :( :(

By 1212 (1212) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

from my previous post "and rather favored same sex marriages" should be favored civil unions if anyone actually cares

By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

the most likely reason why he resigned was because he is a terrible governor and has run NJ into the craphole. :)

By Avidreader2006 (Avidreader2006) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

we can say the samething about W. Bush just..
add stupidity

He is a terrible president and he ran our country into a craphole

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

He didn't resign because he's gay or because he cheated on his wife.

The REAL bombshell is going to hit tomorrow or the next day... and it's rumored to have something to do with someone bringing a sexual discrimination suit against him.

I know a little bit about New Jersey politicians; this one will retract his resignation within six weeks.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

He is not resigning for the gay affair only.

He was an unpopular gov and there is a bigger scandel that will come out soon I heard.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

i believe the real reason is because of allegations of sexual misconduct between him and another male employee.

By Buddyholly (Buddyholly) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

he was pretty unpopular, but i thought he was doing a decent job

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

This thread made it to 9 posts before someone made an anti-Bush comment...

By Craigk10 (Craigk10) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

We get it Hunter ... that's what happens when there is a lot of anti-Bush sentiment throughout the entire country.

By Lax46 (Lax46) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

He had sexual relations with the man whom he appointed director of homeland security for the state of New Jersey, a job that he created and one that paid $100,000 annually.

I think it's very unfortunate that he has to resign or take the load of bull that people are throwing at him. He seems like a wonderful man who made a mistake, and due to his statewide repute and power, had to share this mistake with the rest of the world, which is a very unfortunate thing and is just one of the lowpoints of being in the spotlight. He's a very attractive man, considering his age though! :-P

By Mosquito86 (Mosquito86) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:13 am: Edit

It seems he was part of several scandals, which were just bout to be exposed. In terms of those things..I can understand his resignation.

I feel badly on the other spectrum. That he had to come out this way. It must be very difficult for him.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

What about the Gov.'s wife? She married someone she thought she would spend her life with. Now she has been humiliated in front of the World and has to try to protect her young child from knowing that the child's father dumped her for another man, etc. Those of you who seem to be so forgiving (e.g. "a wonderful man who made a mistake"), would you feel the same way if the Gov. was a Republican who had created a post for his lover regarding an area of National/State security?

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

What's this about this NOT being bad for homosexuals? Most of you are tolerant here, but this does nothing to convince nay-sayers who hate gays already.

"That's what you get for having a faggot in government"

See's a picture of a guy photoshopped into a girl: "HAhaha send it to our governor he'll like it"

"August 12th should be named Come-out-of-the-closet day"

Those are just some of the things I've heard from my boss, friends, coworkers.

By Matth (Matth) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Sadly, techieguy, hateful bigots don't need much to show their true colors. I think you need to find a new job and some new friends.

In any case, this 'news' about the governor is hardly news to anyone who is involved in NJ government for the past few years. It's been a badly kept 'secret' for a long time that he's gay. His wife obviously knew. While it's wrong that he was giving a high level job to someone he was involved with, it's even more wrong of that individual to be attempting to blackmail him in order to keep it secret.

By Chavi (Chavi) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

I'll bet that his wife has known for a while. Makes you wonder why she's stayed with him all this time. I guess she got something out of being a governor's wife with all the perks, or maybe she really just wanted to help with his career.

If I'm not mistaken, which I may be, isn't this the guy who thumbed his nose at his bishop when he suggested he not receive communion because of his pro-abortion stance? I think he said something to the effect of "I'll take communion whenever I please." I wonder if he'll continue to get it now.

By Annakat (Annakat) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

"What about the Gov.'s wife? She married someone she thought she would spend her life with. Now she has been humiliated in front of the World and has to try to protect her young child from knowing that the child's father dumped her for another man, etc. Those of you who seem to be so forgiving (e.g. "a wonderful man who made a mistake"), would you feel the same way if the Gov. was a Republican who had created a post for his lover regarding an area of National/State security?"

yeah, what about the governor's wife? why do some think that marriage is this perfect fairy tale state where everyone is so kind, unselfish (intentionally or not) and faithful to each other? give me a break. i guess you have to believe that to represent it as this "sacred" institution to which gays shouldn't have access. it's so sacred an institution that about half of them end up in divorce. lots of people who get married think they're going to spend the rest of their lives with their spouse. lots of people have been cheated on, both gay, straight, bisexual, and whatever. lots of people have been humiliated by their spouses and have had to protect their children from knowing they've been dumped. i think the people who feel compassion for the governor are talking about his having to hide who he is for so long--they're not condoning any alleged corruption or inappropriate appointments. stop trying to mix the two. they're separate issues, and smart, thinking people and jersey citizens can recognize that distinction.

By Lax46 (Lax46) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 05:12 am: Edit

You go Annakat! = )

I <3 Jersey.

By Mosquito86 (Mosquito86) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:17 am: Edit

It doesn't matter if the governor was a Republican, a Democrat, a monkey, wutever. I think it's hard for anyone to have to come out like that in public.

Moreover, just b/c I side w/ the Democrats on certain things doesn't make me blind to their members' faults. The man was involved in certain scandals. As well, I don't agree w/ his making a post for his lover (neither do I think his lover has the right to extort money from the governor). He's done wrong.

By Kissy (Kissy) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

The real crime is the gov's abuse of his office- trumping up the qualifications of his lover, a foreign national, to head the state's homeland security dept.. The man, a poet and one-time Israeli soldier with no anti-terrorism background, could not even get security clearance, all-the-while serving as the top terrorism watchdog in a high-alert state. The allegations of bribery and blackmail add an interesting twist, too. The gov. put the citizens of the state of NJ in harm's way to serve the interests of his lover. That's abuse of power and corruption.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

Annakat,

So marraige is not a perfect union, half end in divorce, lots of people have been cheated on, lots of people have been humiliated and had to explain things to their children, thus you address what about the wife? What a cruel world you live in. You can't put yourself in her shoes for just one minute? I doubt many people enter marriage with the expectation that it will end in divorce, that they will be cheated on by their spouse or left to raise a child as a single parent. If the Governor knew he was gay for a long time he should not have married her or if he realized this after the marrage, he should have divorced her. Prancing around with your gay (or straight) lover while you are married is disgusting.

By Annakat (Annakat) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

twisting twisting twist my words, as always, thinkingoutloud. life's hard, man. and sometimes cruel. here's another cliche for you---bad things happen to good people. i give mrs. mcgreevey more credit than you do. i don't think she's weak or an idiot or is never going to recover from this. she was standing up there next to her husband, who, believe it or not, thinkingoutloud, is probably also her friend. she probably had an idea already. like i said, i don't think she's stupid. if i were in her shoes, i would hope that people wouldn't make such simplistic conclusions as you have about my situation. i think your false compassion for her is really all about attacking the governor. yes, he deserves to be criticized for any corruption in the office on his watch, but he shouldn't be criticized for being gay. and that's really what your post was about. stop mincing words.

and . . . people are human, thinkingoutloud. we all can't be jesus--perfect--right? the reasons for infidelity are varied and complex and not always meant to hurt others or to disgust holier-than-thou types.

didn't jesus say something about "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone"? some people oughtta show some REAL compassion and be REAL christians.

By Chavi (Chavi) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

I seriously doubt the good Gov. just now decided he was gay, after two marriages and two children. If so, he still has obligations to his wife and kids, and must be one very confused puppy to have taken this long.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Annakat,

I donít twist your words -- your words and arguments make little sense. For example, in my prior post I specifically discussed the Gov.ís wife. You quote my post, but then reply to my post by discussing marriage in general, gay marriage, divorce, and frequent spousal humiliation. Then you avoid a key point, namely, if this man were a Republican who created a top level security post for his lover, would you feel the same way.
In your next post you say you give the Gov.ís wife more credit than I do because she is not weak or an idiot. Who said she was! You said I made simplistic conclusions about her. My conclusion is that she is probably emotionally hurt and humiliated. Are you going to tell me she is not hurt and humiliated? You say the Gov. should not be criticized for being gay. I have not seen anyone criticize him for being gay. Who cares. This guy appointed his lover to a critical security post in NJ solely because the guy was his lover. If a Republican had done this, I doubt you would be so concerned about how hard it is to be gay in a straight world. You say we canít all be Jesus or perfect. What does Jesus have to do with this? You say the reasons for infidelity are varied and complex and not always meant to hurt others or to disgust holier-than-thou types. You are condoning infidelity? Infidelity is never acceptable Ė by definition it means you are lying to someone else. I have the greatest sympathy for the Gov.ís wife and family; but I have none for the Governor of NJ. Being gay does not excuse or justify his behavior.

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

"Sadly, techieguy, hateful bigots don't need much to show their true colors. I think you need to find a new job and some new friends. "

No, they are not bigots. But if you live in NJ how can you not say you hear at least a dozen remarks a week about Mcgreevey being gay.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Hunter1985- "This thread made it to 9 posts before someone made an anti-Bush comment... "

Hunter, I'm definitely anti-Bush, but I agree 100% with what you're saying. People, leave Bush out of this, he has nothing to do with it. There's a time and a place (or thread), and this isn't it.

Oh, Hunter, do you watch Miami Vice?

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

Although the Governor is making this out to be a gay/straight issue, it's not. It's a corruption issue. McGreevey put his boyfriend on the public payroll (security advisor) when his boyfriend had zero experience in anything related to security. Think about what he did. In these times of serious fear of al qaeda blowing up another building the Governor of one of our more populous states (that happens to be located right next to Ground Zero) puts a guy in charge of his state's security who has no experience in safeguarding anything!

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

I agree with Browninfall totally on this. McGreevey tried to win sympathy with his coming out of the closet, but his case is all about corruption.

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I disagree that he attempted to win sympathy. He was advised by the FBI to go public because he was being blackmailed. Everyone who lives in NJ knew about Cipel being unqualified for the terrorism position. It happened years ago, it's not like it's just come to light recently. I don't recall everyone jumping on the bandwagon and demanding his resignation at that time. Cipel was only in that job for a few months before he was moved to another. While it was wrong for McGreevey to create a position for his lover, it's not like nepotism is unknown to every other politician in the country. The Republicans are having a field day with this because the Governor is gay. Which by the way, is no surprise to New Jerseyans, they've known it since before he was elected.

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Techieguy,

I don't know how YOU define bigot but anyone who makes the remarks that you quoted is a hateful bigot in most peoples' books. Good grief.

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Matth:

I meant that McGreevey tried to win sympathy for being gay, or as he claimed, for "being a gay American" as if it were another category of hyphenated American. He kept very quiet about being blackmailed.

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Matth: So now we're back to the everyone does it defense? Just curious, how exactly are the Republicans exploiting the gay angle? I see it that they're exploiting the angle that the guy was corrupt (and not because he cheated on his wife).

By Matth (Matth) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I never said that nepotism was acceptable, just that it's a fact of life in politics, business, education, etc. The Republicans are exploiting the gay angle by insisting that he resign immediately instead of on November 15th as McGreevey announced. My point was, the issue of Cipel in a position to which he should never have been assigned was something that took place approximately 2-3 years ago! Where were the Republicans then?

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Matth: Why shouldn't he resign now? What's the logic in waiting until 11/15?

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

If the gov resigns now, then a new governor will be elected from the state government. If he waits until 11/15, the new governor will automatically be the guy who's next in line, who is a democrat. The republicans are pushing the gay issue because McGreevey said something to the effect that by staying in office, he will stain and endanger it, presumably because of his homosexuality. The Republicans want to know why he has to wait another few months to leave, if by staying in office he's just going to taint it.

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

An honorable person (yuk, yuk) would leave now.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Ignoring the gay issue, there's so many allegation of mass corruption surrounding his office that this scandal is only icing on the cake.

I agree that he was trying to gain some sympathy with statements such as, "I am a gay American", with no mention of the legal repercussions or other wrongdoing by his staff. In fact, in some polls his approval rating has gone up and some are congratulating his bravery. I have a hard time believing that he and his political advisers didn't forsee that.

It just makes me think, are we living in a parallel universe here? His years in office have been marked by scandal and corruption and all anyone can talk about is how he had a gay affair? If anything, putting his lover on the payroll to the tune of over a $100,000 a year is pretty much in line with the tone set by his administration.

Just my two cents.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:52 am: Edit

He will resign anyway, but he makes it as though his reason for resignation is his sexual orientation. Oh well, someone actually buys it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page