A Secret in the Dust Jacket of the Book "The Da Vinci Code"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: A Secret in the Dust Jacket of the Book "The Da Vinci Code"
By Mahras (Mahras) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:27 am: Edit

Okay guys. So I bought "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown yesterday at 9PM and finished it today at 7PM. It is one of the best thrillers I have read and really did keep me going. I have this habit that I never read a hard conver with the book jacket on because I don't like to mess up the book jackets. However as I was looking at the book jacket I noticed something interesting.

If you look the the book's promo-blurp in the flaps of the book jacket you will notice that certain letters are in subtle bold. Hard to notice sometimes. Being the curious fool that I am, I decided to see what it was saying. This is what I found:

"Is there no help for the widow's son"

That seemed to me to be very surprising. In the book there is no mention of anything like that because there is no mention of a widow's son. There are instances of a widows grandchildren but no son or daughter.

Have any ideas?

By Justice (Justice) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

it may have something to do with the da vinci code website...

i remember going there after reading the book and there being puzzles which involved seeing things on the book cover

By Gidget (Gidget) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

Go to the website for the Davinci code, i forget it, you should google it and play the game. It's one of the parts of the game.

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

yeah, i realized the book's cover had that message after i finished reading the book. The book, Secrets of the Code says something about it too.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

It's a clue to the plot of Dan Brown's next book - he did say that there was something on the dust jacket of "The Da Vinci Code" which indicated something about a next book.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Just solved the other clues. I have an idea of what is going to happen in the next Dan Brown book. Basically it is going to be about solving the coded words in the sculpture "Kryptos" near the CIA building in Virginia. This will take them on a scavenger hunt type of thing like in Da Vinci but this time they will be searching for a the uncoder of the secret whose initials are noted in the Kryptos as "W.W.". The hunt will take them all over the USA. Thats basically all I can decipher.

BTW is Langhon still going to be the protagonist in the next book?

By Hayden (Hayden) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I can't wait for the next book. But if Langhon is going to be the protagonist, then Brown would have to break the pattern of having a love interest for the main character, wouldn't he? I mean, how do you have him dump a member of Jesus' family, after all?

All you people who go to American, GW, Georgetown & Catholic: the next one is set in DC. That will be very interesting for you to follow the landmarks.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

i'm sorta sick of the style after reading angels & demons... sorta sad the second book already makes me detest the cookie-cutter

By Feenotype2 (Feenotype2) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

The next one involves the Freemasons.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

The next Dan Brown book is evidently going to be called Solomon Key and will revolve around the many mysteries of the Freemason influence on the creation and planning of Washington DC, as well as the Kryptos sculpture next to the CIA building.

Robert Langdon will be the main protagonist.

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Well Langdon already dumped Veronica or whatever her name was from Angels and Demons, so I doubt he would have a problem dtiching Sophie. Maybe the next girl will be a sculpter. That would be interesting. Has anyone read Digital Fortress? My mom is reading it but I haven't gotten around to it yet (stupid AP English assignments!)

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I liked digital fortress muuuch better than da vinci code...

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I liked digital fortress muuuch better than da vinci code...

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

i liked the da vinci code better than digital fortress but fortress is great too- finished it in 5 hours so it's a pretty quick read with some good twists

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page