Why all these chances threads?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Why all these chances threads?
By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

All I see on this website are chances posts, and yes, I am a hypocrite, because I have posted a few threads along those lines too. But honestly, no one on here can REALLY know if a certain person has a chance. Really, unless there is an actaull admissions representative floating around CC somewhere, you can never know for sure can you? I mean, when I went to an admissions seminar at Yale when I was there this summer for Junior Statesmen, the speaker said that one year, they had a shortage of trumpet players, and so they could admit someone with a 1200 SAT score, because they needed trumpet players. The next year, then, was a bad year to be a trumpet player, even if you had perfect SAT scores and thousands of AP's. So really, even if you think your chances are slim next to none, still try. You at least have a chance then. If you don't send in an application, though, you have a 100% chance of NOT being accepted.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

This person got accepted to Rice, Cornell, and Yale. But he was rejected from the University of Central Florida. He went to my school, I think.

Poor kid, sucks for him.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

hah, wish i could have his "bad" luck

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

hah me too. but see what I mean?

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

Looking at all of these posts just makes me weary. I so totally agree with Kiwee. If you want it, go for it. You won't know if you don't send in an application. I am personally to the point that I want to tell the kids asking someone to evaluate their chances or which schools are best to not be so lazy and read the rankings themselves. It seems that all of the responding posts are a listing of USNWR and heated debate about how it's wrong, and then someone pulls another rating out of a hat because their school's on it, and bingo, it's the best, and the debate rages on.

Nothing replaces you doing your research. Those people you want the opinions from won't be paying the tuition or going to class for you. It may make them happy, but will it make you happy?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page