What can you do with an interest of ancient China?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: What can you do with an interest of ancient China?
By Mimi (Mimi) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I can only think of teaching it, but I can't teach, I don't like it, and I doubt it would suceed because not many people are interested in it. I used to think that acting in ancient series would be enough, but I need a back up plan!!! any ideas?? thanks.

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

You could be an archeologist, anthropologist or historian. I actually just got back from China a couple of days ago. It was cool.

By Zhou (Zhou) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

I think you can go to a premier Chinese university to teach European history while studying ancient China history there.It would be cool actually.You teach Chinese what you know about the western world and you learn about ancient Chinese history...Good deal,huh?

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Oh gosh, learn mandarin or cantonese if you can. That'll help you out.

By Hsun (Hsun) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

you can be a sinotologist!!

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

How ancient?

We just visited the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. It has a Chinese house that dates from the 18th century. It was moved from its original location in Southeastern China to the museum. The exhibit not only contained the house itself with lots of original furnishings, but also lots of information on life in the house (it was occupied until 1980), the history of the family that had lived there from the 18th century until 20 years ago. There were related exhibits about Chinese art, and about daily life in a peasant community, videos of the village, etc...
If you are interested in really ancient China, you are more limited in what you can do. But besides teaching, museum work and/or art history might be a way to go.

By Olivecushion88 (Olivecushion88) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

in guangzhou, i went to an 18th century house. it was HUGE....yea, and there were tons of sculptures and paintings everywhere..

By Sally (Sally) on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

oh gosh...there's so many things to do! like: direct/write/act a ancient chinese movie/TV series, design ancient & traditional chinese clothings (Qi Pao & Tang Zhuang), Write a ancient/fantasy chinese novel (like Jin Yong's or something lol), learn the traditional chinese tea steps, be a traditional chinese painting artist, open a chinese resturant with lots of ancient decorations, make folding papers/paper cuts/chinese knots, learn traditional chinese dance, learn ancient chinese instrument,start a chinese culture club in your school, travel or be a travel guide for ancient sights in china, make a website of ancient china, sell ancient chinese stuff (china, silk, tea, soysouce, chapsticks, paintings, arts, all kinds of stuff...).....

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

You could assist me in world domination, you as my secretary. UN historian of course!

By Zhou (Zhou) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Sally,you gave Mimi so many choices!I'd never come up with so many fancy ideas though I am Chinese myself.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I like the world domination idea. Let us together destroy these puny nations of capitalist pigs!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page