Essay Advice - Email

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Essay Advice - Email
By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

I've just finished tweaking a draft of the personal statement that I intend to use for Yale EA, and I would greatly greatly greatly appreciate some advice. I've seen that the Parents' Forum tends to give more unbiased and constructive advice. However, I am hesitant to post my essay online where it could be plagiarized, and I would prefer to converse via e-mail...If a few posters would be so kind as to either post their e-mail addresses or e-mail me themselves (see profile) so that I could send them my essays, it would be a really big help!!!

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Please? Anyone? I could really use the help!

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

bumpity-bump!

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Have you considered asking someone like a teacher, guidance counselor or other adult with excellent language skills to help? Another option would be to pay for a college consultant to offer advice. An even cheaper option would be to use the various web sites that offer good advice on how to write good essays.

What you are asking is a time consuming favor that most skilled people aren't going to give to strangers. What you want is the kind of service that people justifiably pay big bucks for.

What you want is very different than what people do when they comment on boards.

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Northstarmom, thanks for your reply, however:

-School doesn't begin until mid-September, so asking a teacher or guidance counselor at this point is not an option

-The other adults that I've asked really have no perception of what a college essay should or shouldn't be--I hoped that the posters on CC would be more in touch with this

-I don't need general advice about essays, I need comments on this particular one

I know that I am asking alot, but one poster was already kind enough to email me, and I was hoping that there were others out there--This is the essence of a favor!

And of course, I would be more than happy to exchange essays on give comments on someone else's...

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Sure, Bebere. I was looking for a plagiarism free way to do it myself. Not that I think mine is good enough to copy, just that I'd rather not leave myself open to the possibility. I agree that the CC crowd would give me better advice than teachers.

You show me your Yale EA essay and I'll show you my Harvard EA essay. :P

inexorably@gmail.com

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Thank you, Willywonka! Anyone else want to exchange?

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

I don't have one to exchange, but I could probably read it for you if you want. My email is in my profile.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

I can read it too, but not to exchange... my email is in my profile.

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Bumblebee and Rachel, thanks for your help! Anyone else?

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

umm yea i'll try to help if you email it to me - toothfairy543@yahoo.com

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Sure, if you still want. In profile.

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

Thanks alot Lisa and Qwert, all those who have responded have been very helpful. Is anyone else willing to give me some advice? I've tweaked the essay and I could use a new set of eyes...and of course the offer to exchange is still on the table.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

One question I have for the original poster: How does sending your essay by e-mail protect you from possible plagiarism?

I think that depending on the essay subject, plagiarism could be a possibility, but e-mail wouldn't prevent that.

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

You're right, e-mail doesn't prevent plagiarism--But I think it's unlikely that someone would go through the trouble to e-mail me, offering to read my essay, just so they can copy it themselves...I'm more worried about having my essay posted on CC permanently, where people can easily plagiarize without ever having contact with me.

Besides, there's another reason that I prefer to correspond through e-mail besides fear of plagiarism: I'd like to exchange essays and talk to some students who are going through this process along with me, and I find that e-mail is a far more personal way to get to know people and to keep in touch--and I prefer it to a message board.

By Marlgirl (Marlgirl) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

marlgurl@yahoo.com

I'll help out with your Yale EA essays if you can help me with my Stanford EA essays. Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page