How much of a C-SPAN or History Channel Fan Are You

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: How much of a C-SPAN or History Channel Fan Are You
By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

I'm wholly addicted. Those are my favorite channels.

By Frankthetank314 (Frankthetank314) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

About 75% of my TV watching is History Channel. I used to watch Discovery Channel and TLC a lot, but I stopped after they started doing too many crime and decorating (Trading Spaces) programs. I don't know if that's still the case. The other 25% is Simpsons, Food Network, and sometimes poker. I definitely don't watch C-SPAN, though.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I watch C-SPAN every chance I get. During speeches there is virtually no commentary and the news cables don't "accidentally" lose the feed and move onto commentary. But the HC rocks. I love from Practical to Tactical with Ellis, Heavy Metal, and Dead Men's Secrets. I'm not too sure about Mail Call...he's always yelling at me .

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

C-Span is awesome. They actually *show* instead of *tell*. Most other stations claiming to show news coverage could learn a thing or two from them.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

CSPAN is the shiznit.

The history channel, however, should be renamed "The Hitler Channel." I'm sick of the WWII crap.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

The history channel does no justice to history

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Everybody says they watch the History Channel so they'll seem intellectual.

Go ahead and ask anyone who watches the History Channel to name three shows on it -- you'll see I'm right.

By Neo (Neo) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

What does naming shows on a channel have to do with *anything*?

Many people watch stations on a program-by-program basis, as in, tuning there, being captivated by something they see, and watching until it's done.

So in conclusion, no I don't "see you're right". I actually see you're wrong.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

I'm right and you know it. When someone says they watch a channel it means they watch it regularly -- if you watch any channel regularly, you're bound to know of the name of at least three of its shows.

Are you one of those wannabe history nerds, too?

By Idiias (Idiias) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

lol, well I didn't really care about cspan, until I did an internship with my U.S. senator, in town, and one day I was working and the T.V. was on it, and I saw the senator speaking...so I quickly walked and out and shouted down the hall, "the senator is on CSPAN!" I went to a staff, who was watching headline news, she turned the channel to see him, and just said, "oh"...It's really common, but I didn't know that. lol now I enjoy watching it though.

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

History Channel is among the first channels I check when i turn on the TV. That and Discovery Channel and VH1.

My favorite programs on the history channel are:

Mail Call
Decisive Battles (omg this show is GREAT)
Modern Marvels

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

i LOVE History Channel. I mostly just watch the religious, cultural/anthropological shows/documentaries. How many times have they shown Heaven and Hell,lol

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Yes, I enjoy watching people sit and walk around aimlessly to elevator music.

By Vadim (Vadim) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

C-SPAN and C-SPAN 2 are my favorite channels, with the History Channel a close third.

It seems that TLC and the Discovery Channel have moved from historical and scientific subjects to home makeover shows. Perhaps people get more intellectual stimulation from learning about the proper positioning of palm trees than from some trivial "science." :)

By Allena (Allena) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Not a fan of C-Span, however I'm a big watcher of the History Channel.

By Chicken123 (Chicken123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I hate Cspan I hate the history channel. But I love the discovery and discovery health channel.

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

love the history channel. modern marvels is pretty cool and interesting. Biography is my favorite however. Conquest and WAR are great. Comedy Central is tied with the History Channel for me. I always need a good laugh. I don't watch any C-Span tho. It doesn't look too fun. Sry to all u C-Span lovers out there.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

These are the shows I watch on cable
Taboo
Myth Busters
History's Mysteries

Taboo is my favorite.

By 2bad4u (2bad4u) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

"Everybody says they watch the History Channel so they'll seem intellectual.

Go ahead and ask anyone who watches the History Channel to name three shows on it -- you'll see I'm right. "

Decisive battles
Tactical to Practical
Modern Marvels
History's Mysteries

I dont watch History channel as often as before because of a) History is not just WWII b) sold out with new shows that has less to do with history like TLC did, god I miss the days were you could learn in the Learning Channel. Mythbusters is a great show.Oh and I also miss A&E doing biographies on people that matter (Einstein, Newton, Presidents) rather than Cameron Diaz and Celebs.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

I tell people at my work I watch the history channel....and I can't name one show. I didn't even think there were shows. I just thought it was documentary after documentary after documentary after documentary after docmentary after documentary...okay I have to clean my room now...lol

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

I love CNN and the History Channel.

The newer History's Mysteries shows with the lead-ins by Arthur Kent are the best shows on TV, but I wish they showed them more than just on Fridays. The worst thing about the History Channel is the World War II stuff (probably because a lot of older people from that generation watch THC).

Investigating History, Perfect Crimes, and the UFO Files are decent, too.

City Confidential is good on A&E.

I'd have to say my cable watching is limited to CNN; the "spooky", "odd", or "mysterious" shows on THC; Unsolved Mysteries and X-Files reruns.

That's in the summer, though. In the winter and early spring I watch college basketball almost all of the time that I spend watching TV.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

"I didn't even think there were shows. I just thought it was documentary after documentary after documentary after documentary after docmentary after documentary...okay I have to clean my room now...lol "

Prime time is mostly stand-alone documentaries, but for instance, Friday's are usually for History's Mysteries. Modern Marvels is always on at Noon central time and again at 6 PM central.

Some nights are like "Heavy Metal Thursdays", and "Wild West Tech" is on sometimes at night.

Also a lot of religious history shows get played at 10 PM Central.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

The history channel rocks. I love the new command decisions. If I didnt have to get a job after college I would study alot of history. I consider history alamost a hoobby of mine, that dosnt cost much money.

By Unccadet08 (Unccadet08) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

The history channel's great, but i usually only watch it if there is something interresting on it. C-Span is only good when they show The British House of Commons, its great they argue and insult each other and change topics constantly

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page