Exposure to X-Rays

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Exposure to X-Rays
By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

I was recently shadowing a neurosurgeon in the OR, and he turned on the X ray machine in the room without offering me any protection with a lead suit or anything. I was moderately far away from the machine (at least 6 ft. away), and a little later I stood behind somebody with a lead apron. The possible exposure I got won't be damaging, will it?

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

You will be sterile for life. No, I don't presume there will be much damage. Hopefully the doctor would be smart enough to offer you protection if you actually needed it, unless he's blind or something and didn't know you were there.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

I think you should be fine, but if you're worried about it you should ask the neurosurgeon.

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Once I had a dental x-ray sans lead apron... eek. The guy who was being trained apparently forgot and I kindly reminded him the next visit. It didn't dawn on me until AFTER he took the x-ray.

I like to presume I didn't sustain any damage from it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page