What programs are the best as kazza alternative?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: What programs are the best as kazza alternative?
By Hokie_2004 (Hokie_2004) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

I used to use kazza but i stopped because i was scared of getting sued but i decided that i would download just one song and that wouldnt hurt me but kazza doesnt even work now. What do you people recomend as an alternative?

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

bearshare works fine for me. (just turn sharing off)

it does have a little bid of adware, but oh well.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

WinMX, Limewire. They're all over the place. But I'm only recommending that you use them for LEGAL purposes, , so as to extricate myself from any liability that may arise.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Yeah, WinMX doesn't have adware. Limewire might have some.

By Hokie_2004 (Hokie_2004) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Im downloading WinMX right now. What do you think the chances are that i get caught? I dont share the files i only download and i have 56k so i only download about 2-3 songs a week at the most.

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

chances are very slim, esp. since you're not sharing.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Limewire - hands down. It's awesome. Also no spyware there!

By Remindergto (Remindergto) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

BitTorrent is probably the best. I'm not sure why people are rooting for limewire. It sucks your memory.

By Brockpojo767 (Brockpojo767) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

"bearshare works fine for me. (just turn sharing off) it does have a little bid of adware, but oh well."

Do you even know what adware is??? It screws up your computer really bad and bearshare has a lot of it. It can allow people to view your private information, whatever that maybe and hackers use it to corrupt systems. Know what you're talking about woman!

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

brockpojo767: i have a separate (crappy) computer for it... haha so i dont really care. (on that crappy comp is extra free programs with tons of adware and thats the only reason for the existence of it)

but i now realize not everyone has that luxury (of an extra computer) so i guess all these other programs are more convenient *meekly shuts up now*

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Reminder-I've never really heard of anyone using BT for downloading music. What search engine do you use to find torrents?

By Remindergto (Remindergto) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

suprnova.org Just_Forget_Me.

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

eMule is great if you have DSL and can leave your computer on a long time.

By Nlkrueger (Nlkrueger) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

SoulSeek

It's gotta be the best. No adware/spyware. Simple format (not a lot of fancy graphics). Lots of obscure, hard-to-find music.

By Brockpojo767 (Brockpojo767) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Peacefulchaos- i didnt mean to be a butt head but spyware/adware can really mess up your computer.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

I still can't get the courage up to go back to downloading music...with the lawsuits and all...I'm very paranoid when it comes to the RIAA, sharing, hackers, adware, etc. I never had sharing turned on, but now I've heard that the RIAA is planting dummy files to trace/infect downloaders...don't know if it's true or not, though.

However, I've heard that mIRC is supposed to be a good program for acquiring (legal) files. I don't believe the RIAA is going after them...yet. As for BitTorrent, I've heard some good things, but it's no more safe than any p2p client..as anyone can see when you're downloading from them. If only a client could stick an anonomyzer-type server between all downloads...that would really screw the RIAA over.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

You guys are going to jail with half of America!!

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

savedbythebell7: we'll have a party in jail then hahaaa (~cl)

By Jmatt (Jmatt) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Use DC++, its great! I've been using it for long now.

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

can anyone get caught with using Bit Torrent. I mean its just like downloading it from a website unless the FBI raids your house and looks at your hard drive.

By Ejpowers87 (Ejpowers87) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Do any of these programs allow you to d/l movies too? Not that I have any specific type of movies in mind...

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

use Soulsearch. works A-ok

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Ejpowers87: Most of them should. I know Limewire definitely does.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Sticksandstones, read my last post...it's no safer than any other p2p client.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

If they ever decide to crack down on all that download music, they're just gonna have to build a wall around our schools. That would work best.

By Satchamp (Satchamp) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Warez P2P Client.....has evrythin..new movies games n is pretty damn fast
yea but turn the sharin off.........that kinda affects yo speed

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

hey JMatt , me too!

What hubs do you usually use?

And what's your nickname?

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

I went straight from Napster to WinMX.

I don't share music anymore, though. The RIAA's scare tactics worked on me.

By Forgottenhawk (Forgottenhawk) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

No contest.

Limewire by FAR. Especially because of the new version, which contains no spyware. Unfortunately, my computer had to take the original version first...

Limewire has a great interface and is very easy to navigate. Downloading speed is incredibly fast.

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Bit Torrent is by FAR the best and fastest means of downloading anything, from movies to tv shows to games. The catch is that you have to share (upload) in order to download, and in fact the more you upload the faster you can download.

BTW, BT is not safe anymore. I know a few people who got letters from their ISP's (who were informed by the MPAA) to stop downloading. Although it was just a "friendly" warning w/o any threats of lawsuits.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Funny you should mention that... a friend of mine just got caught today by our university for sharing on Bit Torrent.

By Lilmermaide (Lilmermaide) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

if you have a dell, try dell jukebox by musicmatch.. actually, musicmatch might be available to anyone. it doesnt have every song, but it works really well

By Seniorricardo (Seniorricardo) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

Shareaza!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-pretty good for the most part and it is ad-ware free, meaning you dont get that crappy pop up things when your downloading

By Forgottenhawk (Forgottenhawk) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I tried shareaza...its really slow and its interface isn't really that great...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page