Backpaking Through Europe

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Backpaking Through Europe
By Hpnmath4life (Hpnmath4life) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

My friends and i are interested in backpacking through europe next summer and we want to travel in a group mostly made up of college students...has anyone ever done this and have any information or reommendations?

By Ibkid (Ibkid) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

have u considered going around europe on the U-RAIL?it's an excellent option. also...what parts of europe are u interested in visiting?

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

i went on a 2-week backpacking excursion through western europe, hitting London, Amdsterdam, Brussels, and Paris.

My best advice for you is to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! The more planning you do stateside, the less headache you'll have while you're there. Make sure you get an idea of what travel options you have in each city. It will be wise to pick up a Backpacking guide from the bookstore - those helped me a lot. Have fun!

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

I want to do that so bad!!! Probably 2 summers from now- and I already have my route planned. It's a 2 month trip through france, spain, italy, switzerland, belgium, and the netherlands. I also have an England/Scotland/Ireland 3 wk excursion.

Check out STAtravel.com and raileurope.com for good rates and routes.

Btw, I haven't done either trip yet, I just have it planned for when I get the opportunity.

By Slayer (Slayer) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

one of my good friends is there for 3 months backpacking with her boyfriend....they're on some tour but i dont know the name..i know she's already been to france, italy, germany, austria, england... there's more but i forget! i'm jealous though it's an amazing opportunity!! oh by the way, they're both 18 and just graduated high school

By Tongos (Tongos) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

can i come with!?

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

If I went my route would HAVE to have Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Stockholm. I'd also like to see Spain, Italy and the UK area, but it's not like I should even bother planning something so spectacular. I don't think I'd be able to afford it and the time off from working.

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

"we want to travel in a group mostly made up of college students...has anyone ever done this and have any information or reommendations?"

I'm interested in something like that, a group for younger people. My family and I went on a fabulous 2 week tour through several places (UK, Belgium, Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Monacy) with Trafalgar tours. Trafalgar was amazing. I was wondering if there is a such thing as a Trafalgar type tour group but ONLY for older teens (i.e. 16-19 years old or cose to there). Most of the places I find (for younger people) want you to organize a tour with them for like a band, or a whole class, but it's just like me and 3 friends who want to do this dealio. We were hoping it could be a random mix of random older teenagers so we could meet more people and have companions.

By Copper45 (Copper45) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Everyone seems to be doing that these days, geez.

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

n/m somebody posted a link to STAtravel.com, has anybody or anybody you know actually used STAtravel.com and what did they think of it/

By Hpnmath4life (Hpnmath4life) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Thank you much for all your input, we're not sure that we have 3 months to spend, probably more like 2 weeks or so, sowe were thinking a bus tour of some kind with a group may be more what we're looking for but we really want to stay away from the family thing. Or do you think we should go ourselves and plan it ourselves and hope to meet people there?

By Tosh (Tosh) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:48 am: Edit

As far as i'm from Europe (France) and that i visited a lot of european countries, maybe i can help ;-)
I've already done this type of tour with friends and we did it ourselves without any help. The advantage was that we had our car.
We began our trip in Paris (well, we are from paris so we didn't visit it lol) we directly went to germany (we had to drive through belgium but we already knew bruxelles), we had a stop at Clopenburg where you can easily find motels that are not that expensive. Then we visited a lot with the car. Then we went to Denmark (Denmark is really boring, we had a stop at Copenhague but i don't like it.) So we directly went to Sweden (Trelleborg), it's really fine there. But you have to prepare a lot of money because north european countries are really expensive (Denmark, Sweden, norway, finland..). At Trelleborg, there are a lot of ships which are going to Oslo, St petersbourg, Stockolm... And then you can take a boat back to germany (Travemunde, really really nice).

I hope my story make a sence...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page