Spiders in FLA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Spiders in FLA
By Integrity (Integrity) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Are the any CCers who can confirm that this year Florida has faced an abnormal infestation of spiders?

These spiders aren't your regular garden spiders, either.
They are about 6 inches (at least) across (including legs), brown-black, no significant markings, move super fast, don't seem to like webs.
They love to come out at night and scutter across the wallpaper, & scare me to the point where I keep waiting for them to pop out of nowhere.

I did do some research--trying to figure out what they are and if they bite, but didn't have any luck...

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Haha, really sounds like someone let out a few tarantulas, from your description. You never know.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Are the any CCers who can confirm that this year Florida has faced an abnormal infestation of spiders?

The ones you described sounded creepy...luckily I haven't had to deal with any.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Ask people in your area if they have the same problem. If they don't, it's probably just your house that's infested -- if that's the case, just call the exterminator.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

haha oh man, 6 inches- no exaggeration?

At least you'll be getting a lot less... moths this year!

Are you an arachnaphobe?

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

WHAT.... spiders... shut up... spiders aren't anywhere near as bothering as snakes. I have dealt with multipe snakes ever since I was a tod. When I was four, I was almost bitten by a green garden snake. Yesterday, a snake was in outside my garden. This looked like a twizzler moving with eyes. It was cute... but... ugh.. Atleast once every quarter, I wake up hearing "A SNAKE, A SNAKE"..... it's annoying.

Spiders aren't anything compared to snakes. Stop whining and be a man!

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

You were nearly bitten by a garden snake, huh? Oh, the horror! Especially since they are poisonous and all. Puh-lease!

Not that I'm afraid of spiders or anything; bugs are my friend!

But that spider sounds like it might be a wolf spider. Wolf spiders are nocturnal, dark-colored scurriers. (Oh, and they're perfectly harmless, physically, just like our friend the garden snake. But perhaps not psychologically.) Here's some more info about it:

Wolf Spiders. (Family: Lycosidae)

These are common; medium to large-sized, dark brown spiders with varying yellow or whitish streaks. They hunt prey by running them down along the ground. They often wander into the home in search of prey throughout the year in Florida. This large family has many different species and some are quite large, hairy, and impressive; yet their bite is not dangerous to man.

Ground spiders. (Family: Gnaphosidae)

These spiders are usually uniformly black to reddish brown with few markings. Their abdomen is slightly flattened, with front spinnerets cylindrical and well separated. All are nocturnal hunters and in the daytime are found commonly under stones or loose bark. The egg sac of these spiders is generally pinkish in color or a white papery disc. Their bite is not dangerous, however cases have been reported where sharp pains following envenomation.

Source: http://pherec.org/entguides/EntGuide7-Spiders.html

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Oh, wait! Six inches?! Haha, then it's definitely not a wolf spider.

By Integrity (Integrity) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Thanks for your input, everyone.
Your comments were all kind/helpful/entertaining.

I think the ones I've seen range from 3-6 inches...but this is measuring (estimating...I don't get too close---even to the dead ones) from the end of one leg to across the body to the end of the opposite leg. So, my statement of 6 inches gives quite the wrong impression. I believe the average proper measurement would be 3 to 4 inches. Sorry for the exaggeration...

Yep, quite a few people in the area have been complaining about their sudden appearance. But, no one seems to know what kind they are. It really isn't a big deal to know what they are---but for peace of mind's sake, it's nice to know.

I thought they might be wolf spiders, too. Thanks for the link. I'll do more research. (The creepiest thing about them is how fast they move...)

P.S. I fear spiders more than snakes because at least you know that a snake can't climb into your bed. I'll stop there.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

You should contact an arachnologist! I bet he (or, in the slim possibility, she) would know.

By Integrity (Integrity) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the time you've spent on my trivial issue, Jenesaispas.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

I found a good website, as I have no life, to help you identify it.

http://www.floridanature.org/order.asp?order=Araneae

Lots of pictures! :) No problem!

By Integrity (Integrity) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Even the pictures make my skin crawl.

Many thanks again, Jenesaispas. (I hope I'll be able to research something for you in the future.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page