Anyone Watch "Real Time With Bill Maher"?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Anyone Watch "Real Time With Bill Maher"?
By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Anyone else here a fan of "Real Time with Bill Maher," otherwise known as "Politically Incorrect...but on HBO"?

He's a very funny guy, sort of does a weekly headline recap similar to "Weekend Update" which is very funny, and his "New Rules" are always brilliant. I don't agree with most of what he says, but he does make very good points and has some great debates. Although I wish he would go from 3 panel members to 4, because it usually ends up with one liberal/conservative defending himself against 2 liberals/conservatives, usually three on one counting Bill if the minority panelist is a conservative. He does jump party lines, though. He usually likes anyone an intelligent opinion- he takes a lot of crap for being good friends with Anne Coulter (although they really get into some spirited debates). Last night he had Michael Moore on, and while he agreed with him on many issues, he was not afraid to call out Moore when he jumped off the left-wing deep end (ie. agreed with the 7-minute 9/11 point, but got mad at Moore when he called the Repubs. the party of hate). So as long as the panelists are smart, it's usually a good show to watch.

Any other Bill Maher fans here?

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

me!!! i loved politically incorrect, but i dont get hbo so i havent seen him for awhile.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Bill Maher is one of the smartest and watchable people on TV today. I don't watch every episode, but from what I have seen of him, he's almost shockingly sensible and would probably even do good running for office if he also had all the political jargon down. (Like pork-barrel legislation and all that crap) Jon Stewart also ranks pretty high up there. A lot of his Daily Show material is scripted, but he also writes a lot of it as well. Dennis Miller too, but his show is pretty freakin boring nowadays.

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

Real Time is much better than the Daily Show and Bill's old show, Politically Incorrect; because it is on HBO and less censored. I try to catch the Daily Show every night- you're right, it's terrific. Mess-o-Potamia and Indecision 2004 are Jon Stewart's best lines.

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

The Indecision series, both of 2000 and 2004 were some of the Daily Show's best bits. The show was OK when Craig Kilborn hosted, but Jon Stewart has definetly done some great things with it. I actually get most of my national news from the Daily Show rather than CNN. :-P

By Coqui (Coqui) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

real time is great, except when they bring those celebrities that don't know anything, like dl hughley or someone. other than that, i love the show. havent seen it in a while b/c i don't get hbo anymore. bill maher's bluntnes is great, but i hate when he says something only HE thinks is witty and then luaghs at his own "wittiness". but he's still pretty fun to watch.

"Religion is a neurological disorder"- bill maher
that qoute cracks me up.

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:35 am: Edit

"real time is great, except when they bring those celebrities that don't know anything"

Like Andre 3000. Geez, I like Outkast and all, and I had hopes that Andre would be knowledgable with politics, but anyone could tell he was supporting a cause that told everyone to vote without knowing why anyone should vote.

By the way, Kim Campbell kicked ass last week. Thats more than I can say of Rep. Dryer and Michael Moore.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

I thought Drier did ok, considering he was being ganged up on by the two guests, Bill, and the audience. Granted he's not the sharpest tool in the shed (pleasee stop trying to force jokes!), but he was admirable.

Moore was ok, but again, I liked it when he would go off the deep end (ie. religious people/Repubs. are full of hate) and Bill would call him on his extremism.

You're right about the celebrities, especially Andre 3000, not the most articulate person on the subject of voting. DL Hugheley is also painful to watch...he just seems stay out of the conversation, except when he can think of a good 1-liner to make people think he knows what he's talking about. He has an annoying way of talking...just count how many times in a show he says, "that's all I'm saying." He tacks it onton every point he makes.

Anyone notice that the audience seems to applaud way too much? It seems(ed) that after everything Moore said (and somewhat Bill), the audience did a big applause. Is the the State of the Union or a debate show? Also, they tried to groan Drier down when he was trying to make a point, leading to another classic moment- Bill getting angry with the audience.

Bill and Moore begging Nader to not run on their hands and knees was classic, and I'm starting to like Nader more and more...he's got a good point about the 2 main parties and the need for at least a third (although I don't really agree with his policy positions). Again, another "angry Bill" moment when he kept trying to cut Campbell off from rudely lecturing Nader :) .

By Mudbutt (Mudbutt) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

The audience always applauds for everything a liberal or libertarian says. I'm libertarian and some of the things Maher says I agree with, but not every word. What I love about Maher is that he has bias, but its rational, has a reason, and can be changed if reeason shows otherwise. That, and he's funny.

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

....and he's a Cornell Grad...uh nevermind.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page