Google's IPO

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Google's IPO
By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Do you guys think the price of Google's stock might go down in the first week if the auction price is too high? I'm thinking that this IPO might not be so profitable since everyone wants to buy it.

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

yeah

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Good call. Don't buy it, hold out for cheaper prices, then buy. It's grossily over-priced, even if you do buy it, the gains you'll be making will be chicken scratch, it's just not worth it.

By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Who else hell besides the smarter-than-their-own-good, arrogant Stanford/Harvard/Ivy students invest in the stock market at this age? And what in god's name is an IPO? Idiots Persistently Overachieving?

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Investment Portfolio Option, I just guessed. I wonder if I'm right. If I could invest I would. Then again, I'm also trying to transfer into Yale, Columbia, U Chicago, or UC Berkeley, so maybe I myself am one of those arrogant Stanford/Harvard/Ivy types, eh? :-P

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

I invets in the tsock market and yes I want to go to Stanford or Wharton. I dont think I am "smarter-than-their-own-good" or "elitist". I have just a knack ofr investing and it interests me in ways high school courses do not. Its not understandable or describable. Some people were just made for some thing some people were for others. You shouldn't say taht just because you dont like finance that other people are elitist pigs. And there are literally TONS of people who invest. There are also tons of websites for young investors.

By Bumblebee83 (Bumblebee83) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

Initial public offering....it's when a company first allows the public to invest in their company. I bet most of us don't invest on a regular basis but google going public could mean a lot of people will make a lot of money.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:58 am: Edit

I think we all learned our lessons from the tech booms and collapse of the 90s. People were paying outrageous prices for these unprofitable things.
Stanford's endowment will get a big boost from this, since they own a big portion of it, since it was developed there

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:58 am: Edit

Face it, not many people are going to make money on google. The prices are super jacked up and quite frankly I can't forsee how google has much room to grow. It will only be a question of time to see if google can remain profitable. Although 100+ bucks a share for google is ludicrious for an opening price. It really isn't worth investing in my mind. It's all about cheap mid-caps...cough ATML cough...lol right mahras? Anyways i'm an elitist pig, MYSTIC. I'm the biggest elitist around, infact you're nothing but dirt that I step foot on, just kidding, i'm going to the highly prestigious university of San Diego State and just recently i've had the oppertunity of choosing it over some more "prestigious" universities.

By Link12 (Link12) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I'm not buying. I've invested since 1998, and been burned on many IPO's built on too much "hype", even if it is a solid company. Usually, the stock hovers 5% higher in the first hour of trading, vacillates around a 2% range for 3-5 hours, and then drops sharply off the last hour or so. Lately, the next 5 days, the stock falls 5-10%. Then, the stock goes any which way, depending on its fundamentals & growth prospects. The reason I won't buy Google is b/c its overpriced and I can't make the quick 5% in the first hour since the institutions will gobble the shares up. "Google: plenty of substance, even more hype".

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Yeah the tremendous amount of hype surrounding Google is amazing. It's like the Superbowl of the IPO's and so many people are planning on investing. Since somebody's gain is another person's loss, I wonder who will be the ones that will lose all their money---the small time investors or the savvy Wall Street brokers, AOL executives, and Google employees........

Mystic, I have never invested in the stock market before and I think you'll find that most entering freshmen haven't either. I was just wondering about Google's initial public offering, which has been HUGE news among everyone.....not just the experienced stock brokers.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Yea, we will make a lot out of that saved.

Look google is not gonna be profittable unless you plan on keeping it for 5-8 years. Many people wont be able to but a lot of shares of google because it is priced insanely high. Come on, no stock, however successful, is worth 100+ bucks in the initial offering. Its going to fall and if I see that its going to be profitavle then yes I will but it. But the stock prices are jacked up only because of the unusual hype about it nothing else.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Just the fact that news of Google's initial public offering has come to collegeconfidential is a testament to the insane amount of hype it has generated. Come on guys....a college discussion board full of immature teens has a thread on Google's IPO. Amazing.

Not even HYPS has this huge amount of popularity.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Does anybody know when the bidding starts for Google?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

I like IPOs. I bought some JetBlue and got out before it started tumbling down.
My feelings on Google are:
1. Too arrogant. I've heard their PE ratio is out of whack and a recepie for disaster.
2. Too risky. It's just another slightly better Yahoo.
3. Good company. I like the simplicity of the business and everyone uses google.

If you have money, wait a while for google to get off its cocaine high.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Ndbisme how did you buy IPOs? Those are usually reserved for the rich investment bankers and the big guys. Small investors usually can't get involved.....

By Mahras (Mahras) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

stanfordman you first need to get a google bidding ID. Go to ipo.google.com to get that bidder ID. When you do that you have to agree to 1000000 many different terms and conditions. After that you need to go see the tock broker that is selling the stocks. I know e*trade is. I think you can find out many more. START NOW because bidding will begin probably late this week early next week.

By Renegade4box (Renegade4box) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

It's overpriced, if you really want to own google wait 1-2 weeks after the IPO(if it has moved >10% down) if it hasn't by then wait 40 days after IPO.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

I don't know about this dutch auction thing, it's going to be interesting.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

Thanks for the info Mahras. Now I have my bidder ID and I guess I'll call Ameritrade tomorrow.

This Dutch auction makes things much more risky because the IPO price will be really high and there is a great chance that the price might fall once the secondary trading begins. I was hoping to make a short term profit but now that might not be possible.

Oh well, it's a gamble and I guess I can't lose much if I bid for 20 shares at 125/share. If the price plummets I'll just buy some more and wait for the stock to rise again. If the stock skyrockets in price I can sell my 20 shares and get maybe $2000-3000 in profits.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Do you remember all those people who did not bid on the Ebay initial public offering because they thought the price was too high? They made a big mistake. Google is making a lot more money than did Ebay when it went public. I plan on buying any shares I can get my hands on. The Dutch auction format will probably prevent massive swings in price that occured during most 1999 and 2000 IPOs.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

So when does the auction begin?

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

It begins this Tuesday. I'm going to get raped by Wall Street!

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Ebay was priced at what?? 15 dollars a share...

Also you couldn't "bid" for shares of Ebay you had to know somebody. This auction thing makes for a whole new ball game. Didn't ebay come out in the height of the technology days, when everything was way over valued and people were cool with that. Before it all came crashing down and now people know better..

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Stanfordman99, I didn't get in the IPO. I got in a couple of weeks afterwards.

BTW, I should add a fourth feeling on google. If an illegal sell of stock isn't a bad omen, I don't know what is...

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Illegal Sell of stock?

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

If you adjust for stock splits, EBAY opened at about 4 dollars in 1998. It is about 73 dollars now. I do not own EBAY, but I wish I had been smart enough to buy it when it first came out.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Yes. I watched K&C yesterday.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Google searches for solution to stock mess
BY MICHAEL LIEDTKE
Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO--Google Inc. apparently doesn't handle paperwork as smoothly as its online search engine sorts through billions of Web pages.

For nearly three years, Google neglected to register more than 23 million shares of its stock with securities regulators, an oversight that injects an unexpected legal risk into the Mountain View, Calif.-based company's highly anticipated IPO.

The bungling, disclosed in Securities and Exchange documents filed Wednesday, means the shares may have been illegally issued, exposing the company to possible lawsuits.

In an attempt to set things right with hundreds of affected employees and consultants, Google is offering to buy back 23.2 million shares and 5.6 million outstanding stock options for $25.9 million, including interest payments.

With $549 million in cash as of June 30, Google can easily afford to make amends.

But it's uncertain whether the gesture will satisfy everyone affected by the possible violations that occurred from September 2001 through June 2004.

Google warned that its buyback, or "rescission," offer may be rejected by some people who prefer to sue the company.

Google believes it faces poten- tial liabilities in 18 states and the District of Columbia, as well as federal court.

The rescission offer covers 1,105 current and former employees, as well as Google consultants, who own the affected shares. The outstanding options, carrying exercise prices ranging from 30 cents to $80 per share, are held by 301 people.

It's unclear whether Wednesday's twist will affect the timing of Google's initial public offering -- a deal expected to raise up to $3.3 billion, with roughly half of the money flowing into the company's bank accounts.

The rest of the money will be split up among Google's top executives and early investors who plan to sell stock in an IPO carrying a target price of $108 to $135 per share.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

NDBisme5
You are 17 and you watch K&C -- impressive.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Who doesn't watch K & C?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Thanks! About 90% of all that I watch is CNBC, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and CNN Headline News.

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

I heard on NPR this morning that google stock might debut at a whopping $105 / share.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

K&C is the greatest show on TV...sides SportsCenter...come on.
Anyways, Mahras and Saved are getting raped on ATML...actually the whole market is getting raped...

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Yahoo and Google just settled a patent dispute. What did Yahoo want as compensation? That's right, more stock.

By Benzo415 (Benzo415) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

You crazy? You're gonna buy Google at $108-$135 per share right now?

I say you should wait for another few weeks until you long it. Plus it seems like Google has been delaying the IPO date for a long time, again not another good sign. But in a bear market, who knows, this could be the boost the markets need for investors to be bullish again if GOOG does well.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

DAMN!!! I am not eligible for the Google IPO! Google's underwriter, Ameritrade, won't let me participate.

If the price skyrockets, I'm going to close my Ameritrade account and tell everyone how sucky it is.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

Stanfordman, there are certain eligibility issues. For example, widows cannot buy if their income is below a certain level. I also found out yesterday that kids cannot buy. Your best bet is to ask your parents to open an account in their name and invest your money there. Sorry I didn't mention it before. Hopefully, you will make a profit.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

I recommend staying away from the IPO and wait for the price to take a tumble. Why in the world would you participate in an auction for an overpriced piece of stock?

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Yeah I guess you are right. I hope the price does tumble.

By the way.....this recent bear market is pissing me off. Why the hell did Alan Greenspan raise interest rates even while the oil prices are skyrocketing? To boost investor confidence? That seems like a load of bull.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

I think Alan Greenspan has a better grasp of the economy than most of us do ! It was probably to combat rising inflation (stagflation some would say) more than to boost confidence. Anywho, the market seemed to like it.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Alan Greenspan is without a doubt the worst Fed Chairman who has ever lived. Those of you who lost money after 2000 can thank Alan Greenspan. He raised the federal funds rate to 6.5 percent during a period of disinflation and deflation throughout the world. He created an inverted yield curve (i.e. short terms rates equal or exceed long term interest rates). When you combine Alan Greenspan's mismanagement with the Clinton adminstration's ridiculous policy of a strong dollar (a strong dollar caused foreign investors to put their money in American thereby increasing stock prices) and the new economy, the result is a rescession and massive losses of jobs and wealth. There are probably countless numbers of new economy businesses that might have made it had the Fed maintained an intelligent interest rate structure. In five or ten years after all the long term data is available, I will bet economic historians will consider Greenspan to have destroyed thousands of businesses due to incompetence.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:06 am: Edit

Stanfordman,

I was doing massive amounts of research and did some day trading in the early parts of summer. However, the market grew so volatile that I coudn't even predict anything properly. So, few weeks ago, I gathered up all my funds did some research and invested long term (1 year) in a couple of solid tech based, growth stcoks.

I would stay away from the markets till the election.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice Mahras. I just lost 400 dollars cause of Greenspan's bullshtit policies of raising interests rates WHILE OIL PRICES ARE GOING UP!!

Yeah Daytrading is simply not possible in this atmosphere. I invested in some Abercrombie stock (ANF) and it fell 15 percentage points overnight. I agree with Thinkingoutloud when he says that Alen Greenspan is the worst Fed chairman ever. He needs to get fired.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Markets getting raped again today. Bush needs to go....

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Greenspan was a "genius" 6 years ago. This is just how the market works, don't blame Bush, don't blame Greenspan. Stop looking at the market in terms of the short term, the market is down more than it's up. But over the course of time, the market has proven to be profitable, because when it goes up, it really goes up. Once ATML is at 3 or less, I'd definitely buy. I have 5,000 dollars in ATML right now and bought shares at 4.18. I'm hoping for a recovery around christmas time and into january/feb. Than i'm planning on selling. Right now i'm just ignoring the market altogether, it's a BLOOD bath out there. Have you guys checked out LFG lately, it's my bitch :) in this blood bath of tech stocks. But quite frankly it's so hard to predict when the market will hit a bottom. Basically all you can do as an investor is look for undervalued stocks with potential and profitability. Plus when the market is all sketchy like it is right now and people are selling sellling selling and there is huge amounts of volatility, i know this sounds ridiculous, but in the LONG run it's a good time to get in the market. If the market crashes and ATML goes to a dollar a share. If the company keeps doing what it's doing, it'll make it back up to 12-18 in time. However, I really feel like 2 dollars a share is potentially as low as it will go and considering it's only 3.3 today it's a pretty solid buy.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Haithman, that last post dissapoints! Read the editorial in yesterday's WSJ about what Kerry's improving chances are doing to the market.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Good call on Google's IPO. It only jumped up a measily 18% on day one. :)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:14 am: Edit

Yeah i'm surprised with all the hype surrounding it and stuff the dutch auction prices were below 100....85...was a steal, although at 85 dollars a share...google is still overvalued by 10 dollars a share. But the real question is, where will google go from here?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

like I said before, if the price is over 100, i don't see how it's worth it. Had I known prior that share prices were going to be 15 bucks below 100, i would've been saying, buy buy buy. But I wasn't willing to put in a bid - thinking my shares would be worth 105 bucks, which is what they were predicting.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

Welshie,

We said before that if we had day traded then google would be a good bet. It was hyped up by the media and the population so tons of people would flock to buy it thus driving the prices higher. But in the long term this stock is overvalued. We shall see in the upcoming few months.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

WHY WOULDN"T THEY LET ME BID!!!!???! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't ever use Ameritrade. It's the worst online broker ever.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen such an overpriced stock in my life! Up 8? The stock is just beggin to get beat up...

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I bought it at 97 and sold it at 103 cause I got scared things would get ugly. But now it's at 108.......damn I feel like such a moron.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

If you had put $10,000 into ebay six years ago, it would be worth about $150,000 today. Google, isn't a short term play, it is a long term play. More stock will be available in the next two weeks. Google's growth rate will slow over the years, but it will still beat the pants off of most other companies. All the discussion of the IPO has been a lot of free advertising for the company. On a short-term basis, who knows there the stock will go. On a long-term basis, it's a rocket stock.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Google a rocket stock, eh? Interesting theory. I just don't see how they will much more room to grow? They seem to be a mammoth company is it is. They're like a mega cap company. Typical large-cap companies aren't exactly rocket stocks...but how knows...you may end up being right.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

I can almost see the red faces and teary eyes of everyone in this thread.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:18 am: Edit

LOL who is teary eyed...odds are you wouldn't even have the oppertunity to bid for shares of google and then if you tried buying it...it was already at like 97 pre-market. Which means it was like a 12 percent gain for the week. I don't know if you guys have been watching any stocks this week..but all my picks ASX, OVTI, ATML, LSI, FCEL....all made significantly LARGER gains than google. good night all.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:01 am: Edit

I'm willing to bet the barn that the stock will tumble. All hyped IPOs do (like JetBlue, etc.). The stock has nowhere else to go but down. If you want to play with it short-term go ahead, but don't expect the stock to be giving you more returns...

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Dont tell them Kevin!!

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Saved,

Dude dont tell them about the shares. First off, they should do their research. Secondly if anything happens to the stocks we get flamed. Some people have trouble understanding that its virtually impossible to predict every single detail about a particular stock's performance. Oh well.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I take no ownership in any of those stocks! Just so you all know...aside from OVTI which is going to be a short term play of mine. I could careless if I get flamed by the people of CC...but considering these are long term stocks 5 years +. I don't think they'll remember this post.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Saved,

I am curious about how you select stocks. Do you use technical analysis (if so, what software?) or fundamental analysis (if so, what research materials?) or some combination of the two plus good guesses? I try to rely on Investors Business Daily and have had fair results.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:22 am: Edit

Basically i use a combination of technical analysis and fundamental analysis. I've been reading S&P research reports like crazy. Typically for short plays like OVTI the other day I used TA, using the 50 DMA and saw it was headed upwards. Growth is a very important aspect to me, if I see a very profitable company still has a great deal of growing to do and analyst estimates predict they'll be bringing in a great deal of revenue/profit in the coming years, those are stocks I like investing in. Look for growth relative to the rest of the industry, if you see has an industry is declining growth wise and a company is predicted to grow 200+ percent over the course of teh next year, that's basically money in the bank. Although before I make my long term investments, I figure out what this "company" does and from there I use common sense to figure out if those products will still be in demand 5 years from now, like CHIP STOCKS which have been beaten to ••••, yet they're still making money and chips are used in everything now a days and once chips hit ALL of the foriegn markets like china and russia, these stocks will take off. But it all comes down to good guesses in the end i suppose.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:23 am: Edit

By the way, the yahoo stock screener is a beautiful thing...and I get the research reports through Etrade for free.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

Thanks, Saved. You are clearly a sage investor.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Peter Lynch is a sage investor, i'm far from it.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Screw this I'm out of the stock market. I just lost some crazy opportunities and it's making me depressed.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Do you even realize how many potential oppertunities are out there? you're just blind to see.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

All of you need to read Graham on value investing. Didn't the bubble teach you guys a lesson? Think long term.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:14 am: Edit

Everyone here should read some of Peter Lynch's material, one up on wall street. What's Graham on value investing all about? I'm assuming it's about investing in undervalued stocks for the long term? Personally I'm a big fan of bear markets, it gives you the oppertunity to invest in stocks that are way undervalued for no appearent reason outside of the fact the market is dropping, some of the best values can be found. But basically Lynch's overall philosophy is pick a great deal of stocks for the long term and just hope 1 or 2 of them makes it big. I'm going to put "some" money in TKO, they offer high speed internet access thru your electrical outlets, it seems quite convienent. ANyways the stock openned at 2, went to 6 and is now back to 2/change dollars a share, i see gobs and gobs of potential here. It's highly risky, but if it makes it, boy will it make it.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

Everyone with a brain and a wallet should get in the market. Stocks are so undervalued its not even funny. I personally like Blue Chips (IBM, etc.).

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

If stocks are so undervalued.....the real question is why aren't the big investment bankers, stock experts, and greedy wall street mongers buying like hell? There is no buying pressure in the market and the volume is so low. Is it because all the experts are stupid? Or is it because there is something they know that we don't?

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Last week instituitons were buying like hell. Also if you look at some cheaply undervalued stocks, you'll notice that many of them are owned by instituitons. What exactly is a stock expert? If I may quote wall street, "Those ANALYSTS don't know preferred stock from LIVESTOCK".

OVTI has been kicking ass for me and it looks like ATML is about to break 4. Remember last week I said 3.3 was a really good buying point for ATML??

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

You're right man. I just did some day-trading with Google and I made 600 bucks. (bought 150 shares at 108.95 and sold at 113.2, within a time span of 30 minutes!) Hehe, I think I'm going to take advantage of all the hype and rip off these ivestors short-term.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

LOL yeah I used to day trade, I was making like 100-500 bucks an hr. I'd only be in the market an hour. Considering the market was somewhat of a bear, I think I only lost money once. But I was making way more money than most kids that work for 10/hr and I was doing much less work. I'd say about 30 mins of work went into an average of 200 a day and I did this work in my pajamas.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Haha I was working in my pajamas cause Wall Street opens at 6:00 AM PST and I live in California. I think it's 6:30 for NASDAQ.

But yeah, day trading rocks. If you pick the wrong stocks and they go down, no problem! Just make it your long-term investment and everything turns out fine.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Yeah I noticed you live in Daly City, i'm from Lafayette...east bay.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page