Straightening Hair

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Straightening Hair
By Thebarnrat (Thebarnrat) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Even though I've finally come to terms with the exploding brillo-pad that is my hair, there are still days I want it straight. And unfortunatley, I'm a complete klutz when it comes to hairdryers and such. I never figured out how to blowdry my hair straight, and I end up spending an hour on it just to make my hair look like a fro. So I'm looking for a relatively simple, hands off approaches to straightening it. I was thinking maybe if I got some of those really really really big (like can sized) rollers, that they would stretch out the curl and then I could just flat iron out the waves from the curlers??? I have a lot of hair that's very curly and comes down to my upper back.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Trust me, if you are one of those Hispanic, Asian, or white girls... you have no idea what Brillo Pad hair is.

I would try any Hai Ceramic straightener, they range from 75 dollars up. But since it's ceramic stone, your hair is safer for the heat. I'm planning to get one of those on Amazon. I heard it allows your hair to be done alot quicker and smoother.

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

I use the Chi iron. Its the only one that doesn't turn my hair into a lion's mane.

By Almma (Almma) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

I'd recommened a straightening iron. Revlon makes a really really good one (Revlon Hair Appliances Perfect Heat Professional Straightener, Model RV059C). They are a breeze to use and very effective....you just can't go overboard and use it every day or you will fry your hair. I use mine about 4 times a week and deep condition and it's perfect.

By Rachelvishy (Rachelvishy) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

chi iron

By Thebarnrat (Thebarnrat) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

I heard about the chi iron.... But when you iron your hair, do you have to blowdry it out first? Or can I just let it air dry and then flat iron it. My stylist said if I did this my hair would just look ratty and parched. She said I had to blowdry it out first. Other people have told me that it just depends on the straightener.

And the can thing I mentioned earlier....think it would work?

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

I went to Folica.com and checked out some ceramic flat irons.

I best I heard about was the Bion Fine Ceramic Digital Hair Straightener.

I suggest blow drying it first if it's a traditional straight iron.

It takes me about a good two hours to straighten my hair.

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

I wash my hair at night, right before bed, and let it dry as I sleep. Then, I iron my hair in the morning. Blow drying and then ironing will fry your hair.

It should work- it's worth a shot. It takes me 30 minutes to iron my hair (slightly past shoulder length).

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

if you have a good enough straightener, you shouldn't have to blow dry your hair before you straighten it. besides i don't recommend doing that anyway because you can completely dry out your hair. just let it air dry and then straighten it.

By Spit (Spit) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I use the Revlon one too, and it doesnt give you that "Very obviously straightened hair" look. I hate when you can tell its not natural,but so far not even my best friends at college believe that my straight hair isnt really natural, so YAAY revlon!

By Clipper (Clipper) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

My daughter irons her hair with an IRON! She draps her long hair over the ironing board and glides the iron across it. An Indian friend of hers told her how to do it and now she does it and it totally creeps me out. I have to leave the room when she does it bcI think she will iron her cheek instead of her hair or she will leave an iron burn hole in her hair. She blows it dry first then irons it. Her hair is down to the middle of her back. In my day (the olden days) girls used to use irons bc there weren't any blow dryers and curling irons were not normal household items.
She has a summer job in retail and told me that people come up to her to compliment her on her hair. So I guess she is doing something right. I bought her a ceramic flattening iron but she likes the ironing board better - it is very fast - takes her maybe 5 min start to finish.

Isn't there some sort of chemical that the salon can put on that lasts about 6 months?

But I bet you look beautiful in your curly hair - why fight nature?

By Efilsiertaeht (Efilsiertaeht) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Ceramic irons are the best and do now damage to hair (this from the hairdresser who straightened the hair of me... who is the most paranoid person ANYWHERE about doing anything to my hair... for graduation), but they're expensive. What you said... really big rollers, is what my mother used to do... she used to sleep on SOUP CANS. which worked... but ugh.

By Spit (Spit) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Clipper, I used to Iron my hair and i was REALLY careful with it. I did it at college alot and everybody thought it looked great. Soon my entire floor was straightening their hair with an actual iron, a couple months later we all had burnt hair. Its actually REALLY bad for your hair even though it doesnt feel like its burning anything. I had to get my hair cut really short to cut off al the burnt ends.

I now use the revlon straightener and cant even imagine why i ever used an iron!

By Gracious95 (Gracious95) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Hot Comb!!!

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

I used to obsessively straighten my hair, but have since realized that curly hair is where it's at!

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

AMEN! HOT COMB!!!!!!!

Hair grease too! :)

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

I would also suggest a perm.
Yes a perm you could try a perm with large rollers that would redo the medulla ( inside of hair shaft)
If you go to a salon they should be able to do it without making your hair frizzy or dry.
To just have the option of straightening your hair go with the ceramic irons
just be sure what ever you do to keep hair conditioned and elastic

By Girlforever101 (Girlforever101) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

I hate the hot comb,lol. That thing takes hours (for me anyway). Plus, your hair has to be moderately coarse to use it, mine gets so hot.

Chemically straightening is the best way to go, it's easy to manage that way, for me anyway.

By Lisas986 (Lisas986) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

There are new straightening irons that you can now use with wet hair. And they don't damage your hair more than normal straighteners. Check it out at bed bath & beyond's website. I'm getting one and I have heard pretty good things about them. Also, before you straighten it, if you're worried about your hair getting ratty & parched, while your hair is still wet, run some gel or mousse through and then straighten it. It will hold a lot better, and be shinier. Also, try paying top dollar to go to a professional salon and having it done- they use chemicals now that are actually good for your hair, leaving it shiny and full after they straighten it. And they can last about 6 months.

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

For a temporary solution: WAAAAY back in my teen days, when others were using irons to get the straight 70's look, I "wrapped" my hair around my head when wet (using my head as one big curler), using gel and clippies. You could even sleep on it -- much better than trying to sleep on those huge rollers. It still looked hilarious. It was straight in the morning, and tended to stay that way unless it was a humid day.

What I would give for curly hair now!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page