HELP! How Do I Make A Great RESUME/CV?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: HELP! How Do I Make A Great RESUME/CV?
By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Hey all,

I will be attending my first job session this coming Monday. They would like to have my resume on hand. I'm just wondering what it should include?

I know how it looks like, but let me know what you think of my idea so far.

Brief Bio, Schools Attended, Volunteer Experience, Extra-curricular Experience, Academic Achievements, Awards/Scholarship Achievements, Hobbies, and a brief personal Statement.

What do you all think? The "personal statement" is kinda my idea, is it a good thing to include?

Thanks!

By Phantom (Phantom) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Well, that's mostly what I had in my resume, though I haven't had much success in getting a job. I ended up taking up a volunteer office job for the summer, figuring that I could put that on my resume for better luck next year.

Don't most jobs usually require a cover letter from you? That would be the equivalent of the personal statement you're talking about. If not, it might be good to just include one anyway. I'm not sure about the "hobbies" section. I didn't have one, but most of my interests were implied in my E.C. section.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I'm curious as to what you mean by "brief bio". I also don't think that hobbies would be necessary with your ECs being listed. Also remember that if you have a lot of things to list with awards and ECs, only list those that you think would be valuable to the job that you are looking for.

One important key to resume writing is to keep it relatively short and concise. It is similar to applying to colleges, the person reading your resume probably has a lot of resumes to look at. If you can get their attention quickly and not give them too much that they have to read, your chances of getting a job will be that much better. I know that this is "old school" but I still try to follow it; try to keep your resume to one page and keep your statements short and sweet. You also need to make sure that your resume is visually organized, make sure that the important points can be found easily and aren't buried under "fluff".

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

cool thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page