Listening to music while studying, any suggestions?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Listening to music while studying, any suggestions?
By Avidreader2006 (Avidreader2006) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Does anyone know of any songs that would be good to listen to while studying? I'm looking for songs that have no spoken words or lyrics. Thanks.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Anything classical. Beethoveen, Chopin, anything like that.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Claire de lune (sorry for spelling)
Also, Appalachian Springs (Copeland)

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Sigur Ros has some Icelandic lyrics, but they're sort of relaxing. Jazz is also good for me. I recommend Wes Montgomery or something else calming and not too upbeat.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

I bought John Coltrane's Greatest Hits. Worked for me. They have just a few lyrics.

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

No music at all is my suggestion.

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Mogwai. Its instrumental rock. no lyrics. very minimalistic. the repetitions make it easier to concentrate on other things, although it is also very interesting listening to the songs develop.

By Brianwilson (Brianwilson) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Listen to something without great melodies. I suggest some jazz.

By Dm101 (Dm101) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I Like Chopin

The purely instrumental tracks on Pure Moods are good as well. Even the ones with native vocals are ok because usually you can't understand what the hell they're singing, so it blends in with the music.

By Daffodil22 (Daffodil22) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Soft rock- like Clapton, Coldplay.

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

celtic music is always good, mozart of course

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

Coldplay is nice, but of course there are lyrics. If Coldplay would suffice for you, I also recommend Radiohead's Kid A album (the most calm and soothing in my experience), Blue Nile, and Nick Drake.

By Thebarnrat (Thebarnrat) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I second the celtic music thing. I even time my homework by tracks sometimes. Like I'll study for six songs, then take a five minute break or something. I usually end up completely tuning out the music anyways though.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Satie - Gymnopedie
Debussy - Claire de Lune
Anything from the Master and Commander soundtrack.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Coldplay, but I sing along...
A soft Muse or U2 song.
Keance, perfect.

Or, Bond, a British classical group.

Autour De Lucie, a French band.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

From what I've seen of Bond, "a British classical group" isn't what I would call them. It's more like "a British synth-classical dance techno group" with really hot chicks playing electric violins and cellos. Very cool, but not very conducive to studying, I'm afraid. But whatever floats your boat.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

"Sigur Ros has some Icelandic lyrics, but they're sort of relaxing. Jazz is also good for me. I recommend Wes Montgomery or something else calming and not too upbeat."

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the lyrics are part of the singer's invented language.

I suggest listening to things you've listened to many times before, so you have something to listen to but won't take too much notice.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

techno.

By Aussie_Girl (Aussie_Girl) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

my brother told me that he read that J.S. Bach is good for college students to listen to while studying because the music is supposed to be really complex so it helps you to focus :) plus everyone knows the songs so they wouldn't be distracting

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

I've heard that as well, and while to me classical music, especially Baroque, is nice to listen to anyway, I figure that the music is not so much complex as it is musically logical. The way the cadences are arranged usually fits in with most part writing rules. Although the music is still ingeniously written, the way the compositions actually "fit" like that could actually have a lot to do with it being considered a study aide. That's just what I've to figure. If one is to listen to classical music for any reason, I recommend any composer from the Baroque era, Mozart, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Rachmininoff, and Stravinsky, even though Stravinsky is actually pretty modern.

By Boogzaiyo (Boogzaiyo) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Soundtracks are cool since they're more contemporary ... for example, music from Pirates of the Caribbean, Final Fantasy piano music, braveheart, gladiator, peter pan...

you can also look for music of the genre of your interest in a language that you absolutely don't understand... it works pretty well for me because it sounds good, but i dont understand anything so it doesnt affect my thinking process :P

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page