Best Guitarists of All Time, Any Genre

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Best Guitarists of All Time, Any Genre
By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:51 am: Edit

Not trying to turn this board into a music board, but I was given this idea by the "Top 3 Rock Bands" thread. I'd like to know what people think are some of the top guitarists of all time, in any genre. (Rock, jazz, classical . . .) For me it would go something like . . .

Jimmy Page
Michael Angelo
Eddie Van Halen
Andre Segovia
Wes Montgomery
Syd Barrett
Randy Rhoads
Jimi Hendrix
Charlie Christian
Yngwie Malmsteem
David Gilmour

By Jblackboy05 (Jblackboy05) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:20 am: Edit

Jimmy Hendrix always

By Buddnutz (Buddnutz) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:12 am: Edit

Paul Gilbert

By Ferrari (Ferrari) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

eric clapton

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

The Edge from U2...

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Keith Richards...

not really for his skill, but the fact that he has done SO MANY drugs, still smokes, and drinks like a fish- yet is still able to stand up and play makes him a worthy addition to the list.

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

DEFINITELY Jimmy Page. Malmstein and Santana (which you left out!) come in close seconds....I think Hendrix is overrated.

By Sc_Dad (Sc_Dad) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

From a mainstreamer:

Carlos Santana is my top choice !

By Sepia (Sepia) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Can't leave out Joe Satriani.

By Calvinhobbesmph (Calvinhobbesmph) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

paul rossington from lynyrd skynyrd
ted nugent

By Zero (Zero) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Buckethead
Tim Reynolds
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Vernon Reid

By Supernal_Being (Supernal_Being) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Zakk Wylde
Eddie Van Halen
Slash
Kirk Hamet
Steve Vai

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Jimmy Page
Tim Reynolds
Jimi Hendrix

nuff said

By Isaman (Isaman) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I agree with Benjamin. Although Hendrix, without doubt, had talent, he's overrated.

My favorite guitarists? Santana, Clapton, Segovia, Terrega, and an emerging star, at least I think so, Esteban, the guy who promotes his own guitar, which, no offense, is a piece of crap.

By Onnihs (Onnihs) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

holy commas

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Page, Clapton, and Hendrix

Both Page and Clapton admitted to the superiority of Hendrix during the Yardbird days.

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Stevie Ray Vaughn, if you buy the DVD with him playing live, and see how he plays, you'll realize hes the greatest of all time, a real genius. He plays behind his back better then many of the other greats

Id say Page is a musical genius more so than just a naturally born guitarist. Yes, he was a great guitarist, but his genius was in how music fits together, how it all could be used to sound good

I third the nothing about Hendrix, hes good, but overrated

Whoever voted for Kirk Hammet...thats a definate NO, hes ok but lets not get carried away with ourselves, hes not in this category

Alvin Lee wasnt bad but the drugs ravaged him, Randy Rhodes had he lived longer probably woulda had more of an impact but who knows

Thats all i got, but ya everyone should check out SRV hes the greatest in tone quality, musicality just all around!

By Berta_Mac (Berta_Mac) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

Thank goodness someone mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn. He has reached a level of skill that no one I've heard can compare to. I swear the guitar is a part of him.

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

Everyone mentions Jimmy Page because they - like me - love Led Zeppelin. The overall effect was great, but Page was actually a bit of a sloppy player and doesn't begin to stand up to some of the others mentioned.

My favorite? DOC WATSON!! Go flatpickers!!!

=

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

Also, no one mentioned Paul Simon. He doesn't instantly spring to mind when talking about great guitarists, but if you've ever tried to play his chord progressions in that easy way that he does, you'll understand that it's more complex that you first think.

=

By Duffy123x (Duffy123x) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:20 am: Edit

How bout Robert Townshend, of The Who?

By Lucifersam (Lucifersam) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:34 am: Edit

Well, obviously you mean PETE Townshend, of The Who, as Robert Townshend is a director/actor. The Who came out with some great songs, and Pete was apparently the real mastermind behind most of them, but he wasn't real an awesome guitarist, MAYBE somewhere in the 50-100 rank of the top guitarists of all time, especially in any genre.

I did forget a few really great ones that people have mentioned though, like Paul Gilbert, Satriani, Clapton, Rossington, Doc Watson, SRV, and Slash, and Steve Vai, just from scrolling through. Steve Morse and Jason Becker also come to mind when recalling some of the other virtuosos like Gilbert and Satriani.

Ted Nugent is average when you take into account all the other great guitarists that have been. U2's guitar work isn't too bad, but like Townshend, I wouldn't really put him very high in ranking to top guitarists of all time.

Carlos Santana I'm sort of ambivalent about. From what I've heard of him he's sort of a lesser Jimi Hendrix when it comes to his skill.

Well, thats just what I think. If anyone else has anything to say, keep the posts coming.

By Abrandel05 (Abrandel05) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

Lol i dunno if id compare the guitar playing of Santana and Hendrix but i think i know what you mean. Pete Townshend def isnt as good as these other guys (plus he looks at little girls), and U2 is terrible. Also, Paul Simon is not in the league of people like clapton, srv etc, maybe hes a good musician and writer but seriously, cmon. Slash id say gets passed up by a lot of people but i kinda think he had a pretty good sound about him (his personal character probably is a detriment to his talent lol)

By Duffy123x (Duffy123x) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:26 am: Edit

Lucifersam,

yeah, thanks for correcting me. i was listening to zep at the time, so i had a certain "robert" in my head, heh..

By Iamthewalrus (Iamthewalrus) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

Kurt Kobain, c'mon ppl thats a no brainer
B.B. King
Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Ry Cooder
Johnny Ramone
George Harrison
Johnny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien (Radiohead)

By Zero (Zero) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Kurt Cobain, easily one of the worst guitar players to ever sell records...but he was a good songwriter.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page