Planned Parenthood tee-I had an abortion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Planned Parenthood tee-I had an abortion
By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

New Planned Parenthood t-shirt says boldly, "I had an abortion".

Does anyone think that this is a little bit in poor taste? No matter where you stand on the issue, why would anyone want to cheapen such a serious matter by displaying it in such a manner on a t-shirt?

What do they expect the response to be? "Congratulations!"

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

i was watching this on the news and they said the tee's are supposed to show that they shouldnt be scared to tell peeple they had it and all this crap,

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

If women were made to wear them like a scarlet letter, there would be such an outcry. Privacy has always been in the forefront of abortion issues, and most women, I think, have not taken the decision lightly and are fighting issues in the aftermath - issues they do not wish to discuss with perfect strangers. So, why wear the shirt? I think it's just going to add fuel to the fire. I guess the issues here hinges not only on the right to have an abortion, but also on the right to announce it from the hill tops. Being made to tell, on the other hand, would bring protest also. So, I guess it boils down to the idea of total control.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I'm pro-choice, but that's nothing to be proud of. If it were up to me, people who want abortions would have to write a 3-5 page essay explaining why they want to do it. Then they'd have to talk to someone about it and explain their case.

By Missegg (Missegg) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Just because the shirt is for sale doesn't mean people will buy it.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

The question is: Why would an organization want to even offer it for sale?

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

I ususally have a smart-alecky answer for just about any question that comes down the pike, but this one has me flummoxed.

I haven't a clue. :(

Not a very funny subject, either.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Sorry, Noodleman, it's not your fault.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

It sounds like a really bad joke. Or one of those shirts off tshirthell that are all either really offensive or just in bad taste.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

A thought: if all women who had abortions were to wear the T-shirt, I think that there might be more pro-choice people out there. Abortion, unfortunately (I mean, no one thinks it's a good idea) is very common. I know several women who have had one, and can only imagine that others have but have not told me. Should you walk down the street and see one in every few women wearing the shirt, it would be hard to judge them. It would also show the full extent to which abortions happen... and Planned Parenthood's mission is for family planning. It might help to show how much their services (of helping women get access to birth control, to learn about how to plan pregnancies) are needed. Just my thought.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

That shirt just makes me want to throw up. Why would anyone be proud of an abortion? Yeah, I'm not pro choice, the only way I would get one of those if I got raped or a pregnancy could endanger my health but to literally have a shirt that says that is... inhumane.

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

nobody would get that shirt. this is just preposterous

By Thebarnrat (Thebarnrat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I'm pro-choice completely but I think thats just distasteful. I don't think people should be ashamed of chosing to have an abortion, but they shouldn't exactly call attention to it. Atleast, not like that. Having it on a t-shirt is a bit confrontational. Its like saying "yeah, I had a an abortion. Whaddaya gonna do about it?" It's just asking for trouble. Its poor marketing if its meant to be an attention-getting device. There's lots of ways to get attention that are more positive.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

It's like the gay parades that tend to set acceptance of gays back some fifty years. "We used to think they were normal, hard-working Americans, but now we know that they're a bunch of radical sex fiends who pass clitoris-shaped lollipops out to little girls." That sort of thing.

Social rights activists have been shooting themselves in the foot this way for years. I'm very pro-choice and pro-gay rights, but the utter stupidity of many groups is disturbing.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

IMHO, the best way for pro choice advocates to have an effect is in the election this November. There is much speculation that the next president may name as many as two justices to the supreme court. Maybe the tshirt to wear is the one that encourages people to vote. Abortion is not the only legal question in front of the Supreme Court. I have been on this earth quite awhile, and I am always happiest, win or lose, when there has been a good voter turn out because the people spoke. I hope everyone gets out to speak this November.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

The best tshirt ever reads as follows:

"Sh it happens when you party naked"

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

I think I have a compromise:

Pro-Choice people drop the tee...
Pro-Life peopel drop the "dead/aborted" baby signs.

Both sides shoot themselves in the foot with these propaganda pieces...so I think we'd all be better off if they both went away :)

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

I like it. If a woman wore it, it would show she wasn't ashamed. No one's forcing anyone to wear it. And if it's in poor taste, who cares? Life's too short to worry about trivial things like who your t-shirt's offending.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

I find the shirt to be very distasteful. I think that abortion is not something that should be bragged about. Abortions should only be used in extreme cases such as rapes, incest, and if the woman's health is at risk. Other than those situations, which would be detrimental for any woman, all other abortions are inhumane. As Poison Ivy said your wearing a tshirt telling everyone that you're inhumane because any woman that actually had passed through one of the above situations I described would be devastated and would not wear something so distasteful. All these shirts do is promote irresponsibilty and cheapen human life.

Abortion, as I stated before, can be beneficial in some cases. However, if it is performed outside these situations it is wrong and promotes irresponsibility because it tells woman it's ok go out and •••• every night (act irresponsibly)because if they get pregnant they can just kill it.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

People, it's just a shirt! It's not going to change anything or do anything at all!

I don't support abortion, but I think it's silly to complain about stuff like this.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Bern, I don't see the t-shirt as bragging. I see it as a simple statement of truth showing that the woman is not ashamed in any way. And the woman weraring the shirt obviously would not feel she is inhumane, so your opinion on that point is irrelevant.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

No •••• sherlock...I never said that the woman wearing it would FEEL inhumane I said that, in my opinion, she would be telling the world that she IS inhumane. She might not think it but many people do.

The woman might not be ashamed, although she should be, that she got an abortion but wearing that shirt can be considered bragging in that abortion is such a controversial issue that they just want to get attention for their vile actions.
You don't see people going around with shirts that say, "I got a Nose Job" or "I got Liposuction" or "I had a Colonoscopy." The fact that the issue is so controversial makes the shirt a way of showing that you're not ashamed but it also is a way to attract attention and brag.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

howabout a bumpersticker that says
ProChild-Prochoice
Is that freedom of speech or isn't it?

( your logic is also faulty as the freedom for your doctor to practice medicine and perform rhinoplasties, or lipoosuction is not at risk)

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Again, I don't think the point is to brag or get attention. It's simply to say she is not ashamed, which she should not be.

Almost half of the population of women will have an abortion in their lives. It's time people stopped pretending this is some obscure, evil procedure. Not that the t-shirt would accomplish removing the stigma, but it would help.
You do see people wearing t-shirts of controversial things to show they are not ashamed of, like the male i love •••• t-shirts. I never saw this as bragging or wanting to get attention.

and yeah you do see t-shirts saying " i've had plastic surgery." who knows if they really have had them or they're just trying to be funny.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I have a REED tshirt
I don't wear it to brag but because I am proud of my daughter- perhaps cause I never went to college and had a tshirt of my own, and because it has provided a topic of common interest and because of it I am now friends with an 83 yr old woman who goes to my gym.

I have a PFLAG tshirt
It says
"I love all my children"
And I do I am proud of both of them.
I wear it to show support to other parents of GLBTs and to show support of GLBTs themselves.

If I had an Abortion t- shirt, I would wear it, not to remind me of a difficult decision that I had the freedom and legal right to make, but to show support for other women ( and men) who have themselves had Abortions or whose loved ones have had Abortions.
I am not proud but I am not ashamed either.
It was a medical procedure.
I also had a breast reduction, another medical procedure , and believe me the breast reduction was much more painful, traumatic and hard to recover from, just as necessary though.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Abortion might be necessary and good in some cases: rape, incest, & if the woman's health is at risk. I don't think however that it is right to have an abortion if a woman is acting in an irresponsible way and she is just looking for an easy way out. Rape, incest and the woman's health are cases in which i completely agree with abortion but in any other case it is murder. If a woman has the right to go out get knocked up and then kill the baby by that logic she has the right to just go out and kill her husband, her other children, etc. All she's doing is killing an innocent life.

The women who had an abortion b/c of one of the circumstances that i described (rape, etc.) should not be ashamed and I guess tha in wearing those shirts they are not bragging but rather trying to make others realize that in some cases abortion can be good. However, women who are just getting an abortion as an easy way out should rather wear shirts that say, "I'm a whore who takes the easy way out." Because promoting that kind of irresponsibily is wrong.

By Sarahbcd (Sarahbcd) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

abortion is not "taking the easy way out" and anyone who says so is sadly misinformed. having an abortion is one of the most physically AND emotionally painful things a woman can endure in her whole life. its not like some chick just has unprotected sex thinking, what the hell, i can just get an abortion! its not that easy. abortion is a very trying experience, especially with those people who wait outside clinics with the fetus signs...and whats with those people anyway?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

With the exception of those doing it because of a rape, incest or health reasons then yes it is taking the easy way out. The responsible, decent, and human thing to do would be to face up to your responsibilities have the child and then give it up for adoption or raise it yourself. If a woman is going to get rid of her child instead of killing it and taking the easy way out why not just have it and then give it up for adoption where the child will end up a loving home?

Abortion for reasons other than rape, incest, and if the woman's health is at risk are just an easy way out, no matter how emotionally and physically painful they might be. That doesnt change the fact that it's the easy way out. A RESPONSIBLE person would face up to their mistakes and have the baby - then if they still don't want it they can give the child up for adoption where the baby will end up somewhere where he or she is loved.

By Sarahbcd (Sarahbcd) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

i'm sorry i dont mean to get into an argument because its obviously going nowhere BUT how is it responsible for someone to have a child when she may not be able to provide for it?! you're saying its more responsible to bring up a child if the mother is extremely poor or an emotional screw up (for lack of a better term) than to not subject the child to those conditions at all?? and as for giving it up for adoption, even if the child is in a healtier environment, that doesnt change the fact that its mother may have done drugs, drank, smoked, or did anything else to harm the baby before it is even born. i'm sorry, there is nothing irresponsible about having an abortion. what is irresponsible is for men (which i assume you are) to think they can have control over a womans body.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

I agree that in some cases, having an abortion may well be a responsible thing to do, but the point is, not using protection or birth control is, IMO, somewhat irresponsible, and that's probably what a lot of people mean when they say that it's irresponsible to have an abortion.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

I really don't want to get into an argument b/c we have different views and I respect yours. I, as a man, don't think that I have control over a woman's body and I don't want to. And yes subjecting a child to live in an environment where it cannot be provided for would also be irresponsible. I think that adoption is the best option. Yes in some cases, but not most, the child might have been subjected to harmful things (which is also irresponsible) - in this case i might agree that it would be ok to have an abortion because it is not fair to the child to live like that. The thing that I have a problem with is healthy woman (non druggies, etc) who can provide or can give the child up for adoption opt instead to have an abortion. Sarah, just to get your opinion on this, do you think that a woman in that situation is doing the correct thing by having an abortion? Wouldn't you think that giving it up for adoption would be a more moral & responsible way of dealing with her unwanted pregnancy?

Asianalto: Yes that's another thing many abortions are led by irresponsible acts such as not using protection, etc. and I feel that it's a man's and a healthy woman's duty to face up to their irresponsibility in a situation like this and have the child and then give it up for adoption.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

I had an IUD in place when I became pregnant with my live in boyfriend. I was using what I thought was idiot proof birthcontrol, but obviously it wasn't.
I was using birthcontrol because I did not want to have a child. Ididn't want to be pregnant, I didn't want to be a mother at that time.
Also it was not possible for the IUD to remain in place and carry the pregnancy, the likely result would have been I would have had a late miscarriage possibly endangering my life and/or future fertility.

There are tons of kids out there for people to adopt, many end up living till adulthood in foster homes because there are not enough homes to adopt them . My aborting a embryo did not keep someone else from adopting a child.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Actually, the vast majority of women who are at risk for unplanned pregnancies use birth control.

And how the hell is a woman a "whore" for dealing with an unwanted pregnancy? I guess that means that almost half of American women are whores. Birth control is not fool proof.

Bern, you're the perfect illustration of what these t-shirts hope to accomplish. You are making idiotic judgements about the type of people who get abortions. If all women who get abortions wear the t-shirts (almost 1 in 2), then it would be harder for people like you to label them whores.

Abortion is a part of the modern American's woman's life, believe it or not. I support anything that would stop people being oblivious and stereotyping women who get abortions. The t-shirts probably won't be the key, but I like the idea.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Is the stat for women who get abortions really that high? I had absolutely no idea.

Tropicana: can you explain what you mean by "the vast majority of women who are at risk for unplanned pregnancies use birth control. " I'm just confused by how that would work, since wouldn't women who didn't use BC be more at risk than women who did?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Men shouldn't be left out either.
While I feel that the ultimate decision to continue the pregnancy should reside with the woman, it is important to have the discussion with your partner both before you have sex ( or at least get pregnant) and after the pregnancy.
( of course you could be like my sister and get preg the first time you had sex!)
Women are not "whores" for having sex.
A whore is someone who is paid for something that they would not do otherwise, at least that is my definition, someone who choses to do things on the basis of money alone even including things they find repugnant or immoral.

A whore is not a girl who perhaps wasn't educated about birth control because it has been taken out of the schools and her parents don't think she needs to know anything about it because if she doesn't know anything about it , then she won't think about it ,.. right?

So perhaps she has sex with her boyfriend and believes him when he says if he pulls out she won't get pregnant, or whatever reason boys use nowdays. How is she a whore? and what does that say about the boy?

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

>>>>>Is the stat for women who get abortions really that high? I had absolutely no idea.

That's because people don't talk about it and are ashamed because people like Bern equate having an abortion with being a whore. Perhaps he's not aware that it only takes one time to get pregant, so it could happen to ANY woman who is sexually active, not only those who are promiscuous. And yes, something like 45% of American women will have an abortion in their life. This is straight from health class.

>>>>>Tropicana: can you explain what you mean by "the vast majority of women who are at risk for unplanned pregnancies use birth control. " I'm just confused by how that would work, since wouldn't women who didn't use BC be more at risk than women who did?

Most women who will go on to have an abortion (read almost 1 in 2 American women) are not the type of people who do not use birth control. They are women who actually do use birth control, and regularly. I pointed this out because people seem to think only really irresponsible women who never use birth control have unwanted pregnancies, when in fact the oppostite is true.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Tropicana: The Alan Guttmacher Institute (an affiliate of Planned Parenthood) collects its data directly from abortion providers.

Here are some figures as to the reasons for having an abortion (Alan Guttmacher Institute):

25.5% of women deciding to have an abortion want to postpone childbearing.
21.3% of women cannot afford a baby.
14.1% of women have a relationship issue or their partner does not want a child.
12.2% of women are too young (their parents or others object to the pregnancy.)
10.8% of women feel a child will disrupt their education or career.
7.9% of women want no (more) children.
3.3% of women have an abortion due to a risk to fetal health.
2.8% of women have an abortion due to a risk to maternal health

As you can see the majority of these reasons are selfish and stupid. With the exception of the 3.8% due to fetal health, 2.8% due to maternal health, the other reasons just show irresponsibility. Wanting to postpone childbearing and getting and abortion because of this reason is irresponsible, why not face your mistakes? Not being able to afford - give up for adoption. Relationships issue/partner doesn't want it - again give it up for adoption. Being too young, ok this one is tricky b/c sometimes the woman wants to keep it but the parents don't. If the girl is at risk to suffer health problems then yes abortion would be beneficial. If not then face your mistake. Feeling that it will disrupt your life...well you should've thought of that before, now be responsible and don't turn your back away from your mistakes. Wanting no more children, ok give it up don't kill it.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Yes its 43% of women who will have an abortion by the time they are 45 -many of them for the above mentioned reasons.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Since when did an in-your-face attempt at furthering the desensitization of an already numb American culture and shortening the ever-decreasing span of childhood innocence become such a brave thing to do?

This is about the shirt, not abortion itself. We've had the abortion debate a thousand times before. I'm very pro-choice, but the shirt is a different matter entirely.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

eloquently put purgeofdoors

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Which reasons are stupid?

That is pretty much as expected. Are these statistics supposed to be surprising?

The majority of women I know who had abortions were in college did not want to have to drop out. This is a very common reason and people know this. You think the only reasons are for maternal/fetal health. I hate to break it to you, but in our society, the above reasons are not viewed as irresponsible reasons for aborting a fetus.

The reasons do not show irresponsibility because they do not indicate the reasons for getting pregnant. The only irresponsibility is if the woman was knowledgeable about birth control but was not wise about using it. If a woman was using birth control and it failed resulting in an accidental pregnancy, then this does not indicate any irresponsibility on her part.

It's nice for you to sit there and command that people should "face their mistakes"..but it's not going to happen, is it? It's not going to stop a single abortion, and it's not going to stop the 1 in 2 women who will have an abortion.

Including myself if I get pregnant at a time I do not want to have a child. Saying meaningless things like "well you should have thought of that before" changes nothing.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

>>>>Since when did an in-your-face attempt at furthering the desensitization of an already numb American culture and shortening the ever-decreasing span of childhood innocence become such a brave thing to do?

If desensitization equals acceptance, I don't view it as a bad thing. Why is it a bad thing in this case? Since you're pro-choice, why is it bad to attempt to remove the stigma attached to abortion? And what does childhood innocence have to do with anything? I think you're confusing innocence with ignorance.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I'm definitely pro-choice, and am all for raising awareness of the commonality of abortion (seriously, no idea it was that common!), but I think the shirt kind of cheapens the whole concept, making it seem like abortion is almost a laughing matter. I can't speak for everyone, but getting an abortion should at least be a matter for serious consideration. Whether you believe it's murder or not, it is a potential child, and it takes some hard thinking to actually decide to get abortion. I think the slogan kind of says something like having an abortion is no big deal. Just my interpretation.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

had the abortion debate a thousand times before. I'm very pro-choice, but the shirt is a different matter entirely

I initially thought so as well, but now that I have thought about I changed my mind.
The decision is not saying that it is no big deal- women who have gone through the decision whatever they ulimately decided know it is not undertaken lightly. They are also open to harrassment just as doctors who practice the procedure are.
The decision to wear a shirt that at the very least is going to make people think, hopefully it won't put the wearer at risk, but perhaps get people to a place where they say, "this happened, its part of my history too."
It isn't life shattering, but it might help someone move on with their lives.
Isn't that a good thing?

I am thinking of having a shirt made up that says
" I was Raped".
I never pressed charges because I was made to feel it was my fault. I am just coming to terms with how it affected me.
Incidentally this I do not understand.
Why if abortion is murder, do some people allow it in the case of rape? That doesn't make sense, do two wrongs make a right?
If the embryo is a human being from the moment of implantation or conception, why would allowing it's murder in the case of rape or incest be OK?

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

"If desensitization equals acceptance, I don't view it as a bad thing. Why is it a bad thing in this case? Since you're pro-choice, why is it bad to attempt to remove the stigma attached to abortion?"

That's the point I've been trying to make: desensitization does not equal acceptance. I am all for removing the stigma attached to abortion, however, I do not believe that this shirt is doing any such thing.

There is a clear yet subtle difference between making a society numb to a practice which most consider wrong and changing the opinion itself that abortion is wrong. Accomplishing the latter is great, unfortunately, I feel that this shirt does nothing but densensitize our culture rather than promote acceptance.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Emerald -- I hadn't really thought about it as a therapy for women who have had abortions. Psychology isn't my forte, but I can understand and respect its use for that purpose.

However, I doubt that many of the shirts will be used for the benefit of the wearer.

By Fenix_Three (Fenix_Three) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

It's one thing if a woman is pro-life, but quite another if it is a man. I have a lot of respect for women who choose to carry to full term because they didn't want to go against their morals, although I am pro-choice and it's a bit ridiculous to NOT get an abortion if you think it's moral... or not incredibly bad.

Pro-life men: Please don't think that an abortion is an easy way out, or that it's irresponsible, or that it's immoral. Okay, keep your opinions, but don't try to prove your arguments by saying all women who get abortions for non-health related reasons are STUPID. And this proves what?

I am also deeply hurt that you would call my mother a "whore" because she had to endure a death of one of her children, had to spend almost 3 months in intensive care before I was born, and almost had her third child killed due to improper care by the nurses.

And as for those women out there who do have irresponsible sex, I truly hope that they are "cursed" with a lifetime of sterility. We don't need any more degenerates like you in the world. Get over it, buy some condoms.

The shirt is a bit distasteful... Could be considered as disrespectful to some women who did have abortions.

By Taru (Taru) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

Tropicana, just popping in to say that I agree w/your arguments here 100%.

By T2opine (T2opine) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

I'm not offended by this shirt, but I find it very distasteful. I also find it very distasteful when I see someone wearing a shirt that says "I suck *&%$." I think that this shirt makes abortion sound like something that is just a joke, something trivial, and it really isn't.

As for the whole abortion issue...I think that if people are going to have sex, then they should be prepared to accept whatever consequences come with it. If you weren't financially able to care for a child, then you shouldn't have voluntarily had sex.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

i saw soemone today that had a shirt that said " i helped pay for an abortion"

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

>>>If you weren't financially able to care for a child, then you shouldn't have voluntarily had sex.

so you plan to wait until you're out of college and have a steady job before you have sex? that's fine for you but incredibly unrealistic to expect others to follow that example.

>>>>i saw soemone today that had a shirt that said " i helped pay for an abortion"

i would buy that shirt.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

There is more to being financially able to care for a child, to being a parent. Emotional readiness, the ability to physically care of a child and maintain a pregnancy, those are equally if not more important as well. Thousands of people work with toxic materials everyday, they should quit their jobs in order to continue because it might harm the fetus?

The drive to "mate" is very strong , particulary at certain ages! Expecting people to wait to have sex until all their balls are in a row is analogous to telling fat people that they eat too much and should stop. How many overweight people do we have in this country? It's an epidemic!
If no-choicers are really concerned about children, worry about all those fat kids out there.
The percentage of kids who are obese has doubled from 30 years ago, in a time when we know more about the benefits of eating healthy and exercise. http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/07/19/hlsb0719.htm

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page