The best laptop(s)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: The best laptop(s)
By Etsrep78328 (Etsrep78328) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Laptops made by Dell, Toshiba, and Hewlett Packard are considered the "best" by many critics. Which brand would you consider if you were buying a laptop for personal/small business use?

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

For small business, Dell, simply because they are cheaper and their customer service is second to none.

For personal use, I use a Sony Vaio. Not because they hold some technical advantage over other laptops: they're just so sexy (read "asthetically pleasing").

By Jmatt (Jmatt) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Toshiba, because I have it.

By Jadex (Jadex) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Second for Toshiba. After two crappy HP laptops, Toshiba's a dream, comparatively.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Almost all laptops are basically built overseas by the same few companies such as Copal. The vendors may have minor design changes to avoid the embarrasment of lookalike machines, but that's about all. Even Dell just stuffs the last few parts (ram, drives etc) here.

Saying that, note that most companies have two lines - the commercial line, like Dell's inspiron or Compaq's Armada, and the consumer line, like Dell's Inspiron or Compaq's Presario.

So, the decision is as much what line, what features etc, as which brand.

IMHO, the best brand is whatever brand the college supports best. Harvard and U. Chicago, for instance, both have factory authorized repair on campus. What this means is that you don't need to mail in the machine for mail in warranty repair.

Think about the campus support issue.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

In my opinion the best mainstream laptops (ones that you can pick up at Best Buy) are sony's. They combine beauty and funcinality into a desirable package. Also they provide easy conectivity to other sony products. All their computers have a slot where you can put a memory stick. There is only one major drawback with sony laptops as with many other sony products, the price. Many sony laptops I have seen for $500 more then the competors laptop, but if money wasn't a factor I'd go with a sony.

By Elleneast (Elleneast) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

I agree with Massdad about the campus support issue.

FWIW, our family have all switched to Macs during the past year. I switched when the d*mn terminal error screen came up once too often. My daughter took a 12" G4 Powerbook to college. She has had no complaints and has suffered none of the virus issues that can occur with a microsoft operating system.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Sony and Emachines laptops are very unreliable. Sony is very expenisve and looks nice on the outside, but is very unreliable not to mention one of the most expensive.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Apple laptops are also among the best.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

^^^is very wise.

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Anyone ever heard of Sager? That's what my son wants to purchase...but I've never heard of it before!

By Chemgirl (Chemgirl) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I love my Apple iBook!

By Immortal (Immortal) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Apple PowerBooks are quite awesome.

By Immortal (Immortal) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

And Etsrep78328, IBM, Apple, and Toshiba are regarded as the best laptop manufacturers.

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

IBM.

A sturdiness, reliability, reputation, and simple elegance that cannot be beat.

Not to mention the X40 is .94" thick and 2.7lbs with a battery life of 7.5+++ hours.

It's great for personal and small business.
Sony is more for watching DVDs with those massive screens. It's pretty much a desktop replacement. (aka POINTLESS)

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Takiusproteus how can u say that sonys are desktop replacements. The 505X is "a notebook less then the actual size of a notebook". Also take a look at the S and TR series. Sony makes plenty of laptops that arent desktop replacements. IBMs are prety cool also for their reliability and size, but in my opinion sonys are better.

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Alienware computers are leagues above any of the competitors.

For mainstream companies, Apple takes the cake...although non-compatability issues may pain you.

By Immortal (Immortal) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Sony laptops are among the worst. They might look cool, but they're severely overpriced and are not very reliable.

By Peacefulchaos (Peacefulchaos) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Toshiba

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

i just got a toshiba for college :)

By Frankthetank314 (Frankthetank314) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I wouldn't use a laptop for college. I would build a desktop and get a huge stack of legal pads for taking notes. But I don't really take that many notes at all. I think my calclus notes occupied about three pages. And I didn't take any notes at all for chemistry. Then I would scan them into my computer if I felt like it, maybe to organize them. But if I had to get a laptop, I would probably go with an Alienware. They're kinda expensive, though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page