Summer Resort Jobs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Summer Resort Jobs?
By Thebarnrat (Thebarnrat) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Last thing I want to do during the summer is be stuck at home. I want to be able to make money, but I also love travelling, and the two rarely go hand in hand. My friend recommended that I try a summer resort job type thing. I think it sounds like a perfect opportunity to make a little cash, but also see other parts of the world. I've heard its essentially like a summer camp for college students. But others have also said that these online resort placement programs are scams, and you end up actually paying money to work (hidden room/board/uniform fees, etc.) If I could find a good program, I would love to work in Alaska. Anyone have experience with something like this? Just bored as heck this summer and entertaining options for next summer.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Be an Au Pair. http://www.greataupair.com/
Work on a cruise. http://www.shipjobs.com/students.html

With the au pair, they prefer girls.

By Silvermyst (Silvermyst) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Look at the princess alaska website. I have seen a lot of people come up to alaska working with princess:

www.princessjobs.com

I have been told that the Copper River WIlderness Lodge is gorgeous, buv I have never been there. If you aren't complete into the wilderness and would like other things to do during the summer, I would apply for a poisiton in Anchorage or Fairbanks which are the two largest cities in Alaska.

There are very few places today who will give you room and board with your employment. I know princess gives discounts to their employees in some of the remote locations. It might be worth researching though. Some of the smaller mom and pop type places might throw in a room.

By Tdizzo (Tdizzo) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

There was a recent NY Times article about the lack of applicants for camp counselors (and how the jobs have since been outsourced to foreign instructors). I'm sure with a little bit of research you could find somewhere looking to hire. From what I read in the article you really don't make that much money, but for an experience, it's more then enough. If I recall there is some braod camp umbrella organization ("American Camp Council" or something like that)...definitely worth a look.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page