Note TO Sheeprun

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Note TO Sheeprun
By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Dear Sheeprun: sorry if we have annoyed you. However, the rise of these so called waste of time threads are the fault of noone other than you and the other moderators.

If you notice the small paragraph at the top of the College Confidential Cafe says:

"Welcome to the College Confidential Café - this is where to discuss topics that don't fit in any other place here. Please note that civility to other members and language/content appropriate for all ages are still required. Thanks for cooperating!"

NOWHERE does it say that it is strictly a board in which we can post unrelated college topics. It says that it is a place "to discuss topics that don't fit in any other place here." Thus people began posting political topics, small game threads, etc. in addition to college topics that didn't fit.

I, as well as many other CCers, found it distasteful of you to come in and lecture us on what we can or can't post when you never specified the contents of the types of posts. All you said was that we could discuss things that didn't fit anywhere else.

If you would have originally stated that the college confidential cafe was a place to discuss unrelated college topics then fine you have the right to tell us what not to post. However, the late of specificity in your "instructions" pretty much allowed people to discuss whatever they wanted.

Next time i suggest you be more specific. Sorry.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

you see that?

something brown there...

on your nose....

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

I personally agree with Bern.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Uhm...well, not to side with the mods or anything, but the URL of the website, and indeed the name of the website, is collegeconfidential.com. Consequently, I think that the owners of said website were expecting their bandwidth to be used discussing, well, college-related topics. Naturally, some topics are more tangentially related to college than anything else, which is why they created this forum. I have to side with the mods if you're going to waste space with "Try to Hit 1000 Posts" or "Let's Compliment Each Other!"

Pooky

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Sheeprun couldn't have possibly predicted this forum would evolve in the direction it did. So he said something about it...I don't blame him.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

he spelled "Stick" wrong....

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

So i'm still a bit confused. Are only the "truth or dare" type threads banned from the cafe? If so, I don't contest that.

However if quality threads such as political ones, the death penalty one, minimum wage, foreigner holding the presidency are banned as well...then that is just plain stupid.

Actually, if that is the case then the whole purpose of the cafe section has no grounding. You say the cafe is a place to discuss "college topics that don't fit in the other sections"...

...Well I challenge anyone to think of a topic that cannot fit under at least one of the previously established sections

..it is very hard to do that... which again, renders this section pointless under the previously expressed posting conditions.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

i agree that some topics in the cafe have gotten a bit out of hand in their irrelevance to anything intellegent. and yea, i did participate in them as well, they were fun, but its not our board, its the mods board, and i think its great that we even have a cafe! remember the old days when random threads were just deleted!?! i think sheeprun means that from now on, the cafe should be a place for intellegent non-college conversation. and that means that "silly" threads arent needed on a site called collegeconfidential. there are plenty of yahoo and aol groups dedicated to pure silliness, but here we have the oppurtunity to have meaningful intellectual discussions, and we should make well of the oppurtunity. if i tried to have half of these convos with my friends from school, all i would get in response is a bunch of blank looks, maybe a chuckle, and an un-invite to the next four social events. im glad i have a place where i can converse with smart people.
so instead of complaining about sheeprun's message and whining about the lack of 'freedom' to talk about utter randomness, we should thank the moderators for allowing us a cafe to discuss what we want.
thats all for now
have a nice day everyone
:)

Perfect!

<moderator>

Also... from the Terms of Service:

" Out of respect for both moderators and policies, discussion of moderator actions and forum policies is welcomed via e-mail; these issues are off-topic for the forums."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page