WHAT DO I NEED?? (besides therapy, naturally)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: WHAT DO I NEED?? (besides therapy, naturally)
By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

Well I am leaving to college in less than a month, and due 40 hour work weeks and excessive socializing, I have not prepared anything. I have no idea of what kind of computer I should have (haven't even narrowed it down to laptop/desktop), and I am clueless as to the wardrobe I should bring. Really I have not even given it a thought, I mean after all, I do have a *month* (which I'm sure will pass too fast) so I should probably start planning something. Unfortunately, I never have more than one day a week off, so it is difficult for me to go out shopping anymore (I know, a tragedy indeed).

Mainly I want to know how to dress for northern CA, what kind of clothes should I buy? My closet right now is equipped with nothing warmer than what is needed for 60 degree weather, with the possibility of rain. What coats, jackets, shoes, or whatever would be a good idea?

Also, is a laptop REALLY all that convienient? Yes it is smaller and lighter, but do you actually NEED to use a computer outside of your room?

And just any tips about anything you know about would be cool; I know most ppl here are still in HS, but anything you think could help me out would be wonderful and fantastic.

Leaving in 3.5 weeks (and counting...

By Steveruleworld (Steveruleworld) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

Yeah Cal! I don't know, but make sure that you have stuff to do laundry, and hygenie products, and bedsheets stuff.

I would guess that 1 good heavy coat would do well for really cold nights(which i hope won't happen too much), and sandals for when its really hot. a poncho maybe or a good umbrella or raincoat that is light enough to just pack away. swimming stuff if you ever fell like going to a pool for a swim. if you are in a triple room, maybe think about laptop because space may be tight, and it will be nice to get out of crampiness once in a while. if laptop you chose, then make sure you get a high quality security cable (I've heard kensington is really good). ohh and probabaly a few long sleave shirts, and a few short sleeves. a pair or two of nice clothes...then again i'm a guy and pack differently. i know i'm bringing 4 pairs of shoes, flip flops(for shower), 2 tennnis shoes, and a nice pair. shorts. alright i think that might hit anything you might not be thinking of.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

bring 1 deck cards, photos of family, 2 sets sheets, pillow, a cpl towels, facecloth, all toilettries & plastic container to keep them all in for shared bathroom, tylenol, your fav book (the one you can read again and again), one small 4-cup coffee pot, mug, silverware, small lockbox for under bed, bed cover, emergency calling card, hangers, small mirror for room, umbrella, Clothes depend on where in northern Ca, so be more specific.

Call your roommate to decide who is bringing Tv if you have cable, who is bring microwave if you plan to have one, etc.

Laptop, desktop, its up to you.

goodluck

By Avoidingwork (Avoidingwork) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

PB:

The bay area has lots of micro-climates, so the weather can change pretty dramatically say if you go from Berkeley to San Francisco. Layering is always the best bet. You can pretty much get by with a leather jacket year round, with maybe another jacket to wear in the rain. Everybody in the east bay wears fleece ;-). Bring an inexpensive umbrella (or two) as they will get lost. You can also buy them when you get here - it won't rain for a while. At least one pair of shoes you can wear in the rain.

My son is returning from his summer job on August 23rd and will immediately move into the dorm. Looks like he'll be getting his laptop during welcome week. He's leaning towards an apple laptop.

If you are going fairly inexpensively, make one shopping trip to Target. They have a pretty good selection of XL Twin sheets and coordinating stuff. You can get all your basic toiletries, first aid kit, etc.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:39 am: Edit

well, if you need to know something about northern california, know that the weather is completely unpredictable, and that it varies city to city...

for example, i live in suburbs of the east bay, it can be warm and sunny over here, cloudy w/ a chance of rain in the north bay, and clear and breezy in San francisco (KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE PLACES ARE 20 MINUTES APART)...with this said, you would be better off keeping most of the clothes that you have...if you are staying in the bay (in the bay = you can see the water) then you wont need to many shorts and skirts...if you are living in the valley, or the hills you might need clothes suitable for 100+ heat (in the summer fall and sometimes late spring).

once again what you said sounds fine...don't take more than one really heavy heavy jacket (no parkas...because we never have snow) unless you plan on going to tahoe a lot. i have survived many winters without a decent jacket, sweatshirts are EVERYTHING (people typically wear jackets for the look, they are usually pretty light)

bring all the jeans/pants that you want...at night it can be cool in the bay (even during the summer) and during the winter it is a necesity...

you'll be fine...

LAPTOP:
depends heavily on what school you are going to (berkeley right?) if the school has a lot of labs then you might not need on, however, i would argue that it is best to have your own one...get one of the cheaper ones for about $700-900 it will last you four-six years, and will be perfect for you to play on and do late night work/chatting.

extras:

are you bringing a car? unless you live close by, you wont really need to bring it. there is BART (bay area rapid transport) which goes everywhere (S.F., San jose, oakland, the airports...even into the valley) also there are lots of buses and S.F. features the Trolley (which is free for S.F. locals), MUNI, some taxi's (but no one uses them unless you are going to the airport)

hmmm, i can't think of anything esle feel free to ask me questions

DAM, what a long post sorry.

By Avoidingwork (Avoidingwork) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:44 am: Edit

a few more points....if you need therapy then Berkeley is the right place to be....everyone is either an MFCC, graphic artist, or lawyer....and everyone assumes that if you live in Berkeley (as an adult) that you went to CAL...

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

wow thanks you guys for your input, it's really quite enlightening

and no im not bringing a car, planning to use the BART or mooch rides

and yes, Berkeley
GO BEARS!

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

cool, therapy is FUN!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page