Why?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Why?
By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Why was the Oracle trhead closed?

Mods: no offence or anything, but how come you don't provide a brief explanation to us when you close a thread? Without an explanation we won't know what rule was broken in order to avoid it next time.... (?)

Anyone know why that thread was closed?
Magoo: I did answer you about OAKLAND, btw.

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

DAMIT...i didn't get to read it...what did you say about oakland...was it the A's; because if you don't like the A's then i'll be mad :)

hmmm, its not that the closing threads upset me a lot, but i too am curious to know if we can get some kind of warning...or explaination sometimes...don't hurt me :)

p.s....i left you a note in the IQ thread.

By Poison_Ivy (Poison_Ivy) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

the oracle... I loved that one...

*jumps up and down*
Let's do it again, let's do it again.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Magoo, the oracle thread is still there for you to read about Oakland.. but I don't know how to make a link to it (it seems to only link to index).

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

the oracle thread was closed because it was silly. there are some other rather silly threads, and i dont know why they arent closed too. but just be glad we have some other midly amusing silly threads to entertain ourselves with until school starts again and we actually have something intellegent to discuss.
toodles

By Magoo (Magoo) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

SMOP: wait, i don't need to adress you in your own thread...

you are talking about Holy Names University, correct? hmmm, i didn't know it was in such a seedy area. i always thought it was in the hills...anyways what you said wasn't ignorant...just reality, however there are a some neighborhoods in oakland that are centered around families, education, and younger families like yourself...i wouldn't discredit that city, if anything i would invest...im willing to bet that the enormously high prices are going to go up further dut to revitalization...

...its just interesting to hear people talk about my area...well, im actually in between San Ramon and Walnut Creek (probably never heard of it: Danville)

By Fyre (Fyre) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

You can't close a thread cuz it silly! Its a Cafe!
People who go to Cafes are silly, and well maybe that's cuz of the coffee.....but hey Cafes=Silly Krazie Fun. I mean look at me, I'm being silly, because I am drinking soda << which has nothing to do with this. See my point? ::Silence::

Yeah I know...just trying to offer my opinion.

Long Live the Silly Threads!!!!!!!!!!

By Smhop (Smhop) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

No, it was a tiny college called Patten Collge, It was started by a woman named Beebee Patten, who founded her own christain sect. It was very strict, and they did a lot of missionary work overseas. Despite the fact that they were liberal enough to allow female preachers, they were strict enough to forbid women from wearing pants on campus. I wasn't fond of the rules, LOL!

I know walnut creek, it is lovely there.. Danville sounds only vaguely familiar, and San Ramon.. I am not sure.

Anyway, the Patten college campus wasn't more than a block or so with a few surrounding houses,,, it was in a very bad area... but the campus itself was immaculate and protected. No one has ever caused trouble on the campus that I know of. Drug dealers and other scary stereotypical types were commonly seen in the surrounding neighborhood, and I was just scared all the time. It was all very foreign to me!

However, I am actually pleased that I got to live there in the midst of that. It gave me a chance to walk in the shoes of the other side, so to speak. It put a new perspective on my life, and how fortunate I was. NOT trying to sound uppity at all.. living there was really eye-opening. Going and living in a "culture" that is not your own is a GOOD thing. However, I would not want to go back anytime soon, especially with two little girls. Poverty is a harsh mistress, it can lead to violence and crime, and I feel for those who do not know any other life. I got to be an observer of that lifestyle without having to be an actual 'participant' and it opened my eyes at the time to how rough things are out there for so many... ! Lots of folks demand that certain under-priviledge classes of people just dont try hard enough.. I say, its hard for folks to keep trying to rise up when even thier own neighborhoods force them down. People who haven't lived it or ever seen it cannot understand it. I don't profess to understand it fully, but at least I am more aware.

I also lived in Sri Lanka, a third world country of true poverty. The people of Sri Lanka made the ghetto of oakland look RICH. I then understood how wealthy all Americans truly, truly are. Even those in our poorest American neighborhood have phones, cable, electricity. They have pluses like transportation, washing machines, and grocery stores with lots of selection.

But not so for those in the third world-- where having nothing truly means having nothing-- Where something like 95% of the populatuion doesn't even have a phone, let alone all those luxuries even our poorest americans take advantage of. SO... then.. my perspective flipped a little. Maybe the folks in Americas lower class neighborhoods don't have it THAT rough after all... comparatively speaking, this is the land of opportunity, right?

BUt again, all people are limited by their environments, and that makes it hard to bring about any change for the better... the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor, and those of us in the middle shoulder the bulk of the budern w/o seeing positive changes on either side.

One thing I am so grateful for in my life, is that not only have I gotten to live a lot of places, and see a lot of places, but that I got to get outside of MY environment. I was not "just a vistor" in oakland... I lived there. I was not "just a visitor" in SL... I lived there. Only by experiencing an environment other than your own/ only by going through that culture shock: can we learn to appreciate the differences and work toward change. Most ppl, even those who travel, stay in thier own little comfy environment and dont experience a darn thing. Going overseas and staying in a 5 star hotel does not make one experienced.

Interestingly, I think I got to live the life of the very poorest... in oakland where the only things we had were our one junk car and the few furnishings the school provided -- and the life of the very richest (in Sri Lanka where our income put us in the top 1% of the nation; we had a nany, a driver, a maid.... and the best private & most expensive school in the country for my daughter) I have seen both sides, but I am stuck in the middle... and happy to be there.

Anyway, I think I have a broader understanding bc of some of these experiences... At 31, I have had a lot of interesting experiences... some might surprize you.

Ohh, I am going on and on... sorry to bore.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Fyre,
Silly threads are fun
Silly threads are great
vita longa to the silly threads
And now Good night, its rather late!

tiredly,
Iplayoboe

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Why? Why must your post be so long, Smhop?

By Magoo (Magoo) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

no, that was pretty interesting...i like to hear that...

growing up in my area (walnut creek, san ramon) you have people who haven't lived in (or near for that matter) poor nieghborhoods and people whose families shelter the kids from the harsh realities of life with all of their money...UGH, i can go on and on about the lifestyle that some of my friends have but its not necessary...let me just say that these people easily live better than oh...95% of the world population

anyways, i have always had a particular interest in doing foriegn work, (which is part of the reason why i want to go to college, not only do i need it for a career, but i want to study international relations and world cultures) work such as: the UN (as a diplomat), or working for a multinational.

yes parts of oakland, provide culture shock for people in the cali suburbs...when i was in student Gov't we went to a place called Verde Elementary, twice, delivering holiday gifts to the kids with "Santa" (i think he was the janitor...im serious, he was a nice guy :)). i remember the looks on their face when they got things like TOOTHBRUSHES or SHAMPOO, our experience was amazing, and taught a lot of the Gucci toting members of the class what truly is important.

By Smhop (Smhop) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

Sorry, jennai.. it was long... but I had much to say!

Magoo: working in the foreign service is AWESOME. I got to know so many american gov employed expats when we lived overseas. They really have the life, let me tell you. I could write PARAGRAPHS about it.

I would love it if my hubbie got into the foreign service/UN/etc. (he has a poli sci degree and a law degree) Working for the Gov has perks that working for a multi-national corp cannot provide by the way. Been there, done that. Hubbie worked for a college in SL-- the people we knew with Gov jobs had it sooooo good... life was much easier for them than for us. Not complaining, we had a good time, but those Gov employees had it MADE.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page